Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 98 cummins made 604hp at the rear wheels, got 22mpg empty, ~18.5-19 pulling the boat, ~14 or so pulling the 5th wheel, and about 13 pulling the 5th wheel and boat in tandem. It was a 5-speed, 4 wheel short bed quad cab, 3.55's, and 305's. It had a turbonetics ball bearing turbo on it, which helped mileage over the HX40 that was on it prior. Truck had 300K miles on it when i sold it a few months ago, never had a mechanical failure. I did have a serpentine belt break once....

My 04.5 makes ~480 or so at the rear wheels, gets 17 empty if im lucky, and I get about 9mpg towing my 5th wheel/boat. 5th wheel is heavy (~12,000lbs) though. Its an auto, 4 wheel short bed quad cab, with 3.73's and 37's.

If they would come out with a half-ton that guys that dont tow heavy could buy, they would sell like hot cakes!!!! It would be sweet to have a truck that would get high 20's empty, high teens towing light. Ill get one for my wife when that day comes....but Im not holding my breath.
    2001 Carrera 257 Effect X with twin 300 Promax's
    1985 Centurion Tunnel with 1988 2.4 200hp Chrome Bore, stock for now

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pwerwagn View Post
    My 98 cummins made 604hp at the rear wheels, got 22mpg empty, ~18.5-19 pulling the boat, ~14 or so pulling the 5th wheel, and about 13 pulling the 5th wheel and boat in tandem. It was a 5-speed, 4 wheel short bed quad cab, 3.55's, and 305's. It had a turbonetics ball bearing turbo on it, which helped mileage over the HX40 that was on it prior. Truck had 300K miles on it when i sold it a few months ago, never had a mechanical failure. I did have a serpentine belt break once....

My 04.5 makes ~480 or so at the rear wheels, gets 17 empty if im lucky, and I get about 9mpg towing my 5th wheel/boat. 5th wheel is heavy (~12,000lbs) though. Its an auto, 4 wheel short bed quad cab, with 3.73's and 37's.

If they would come out with a half-ton that guys that dont tow heavy could buy, they would sell like hot cakes!!!! It would be sweet to have a truck that would get high 20's empty, high teens towing light. Ill get one for my wife when that day comes....but Im not holding my breath.
    Don't give up hope yet. I read an article that Dodge has two new Cummins motors...a V6 turbo and smaller V8 turbo. They put the V6 in a Durango...the reviewer said it was o.k....but they were extremely happy with the small V8 that was in a 1500 Ram. Guess she was pretty peppy and yet returned good fuel economy numbers.

I know that Ford developed a V6 PowerStroke years ago. A guy that I've purchased some of my performance mods from worked with Ford to put that motor in a Baja race truck...so Ford has something in-house that they could bring to market.

Wayne

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pwerwagn View Post

hmmm 604hp at the wheels and 22mpg?

i had a 94 cummins 12v, 10 plate, marine injectors, h1c/h1e hybrid
    4" to stacks and a AEM intake. i was lucky to get 18-19mpg
    my truck originally stocked 160hp and got 22mpg stock.

regardless it still got better mileage then a gasser

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNcumminsguy View Post
    I have a 2002 dodge ram 2500 4x4 H.O. 6spd with about 500hp, It has 3.54 gears and 35's but I still get around 17-19 mpg towing a 23ft cobalt fully loaded down with stuff...

The truck has killer highway MPG and nice city unless you get on it, then it sucks down diesel like a Atlantic city hooker sucks dick

Chevy and Ford are not going to be doing the 1/2 ton diesels right now from what I can remember reading in a magazine, Also diesel is cheaper than unleaded where I live
    I call BS on the 3.54 gearing and 35's getting 17-19 mpg towing. Oversized tires KILL fuel economy. I got a diesel truck myself and never get that kind of mileage pulling something.

Some of you guys that have diesel trucks REALLY like talking up your fuel economy but most times it doesn't really add up. Do you guys even hand calculate your mileage? That's the only real way to know your fuel economy and that's the way I calculate mine every fuel fill up.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WickedIXMR... Uh with EFILive take it to the bank... Besides the ability to make huge power you can also make MPG that pays for itself in no time...

http://www.efilive.com/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartman39 View Post
    WickedIXMR... Uh with EFILive take it to the bank... Besides the ability to make huge power you can also make MPG that pays for itself in no time...

http://www.efilive.com/
    Come on man pulling a 23ft trailer on 35 tall tires getting 17-19mpg? Get real man. I got a duramax too and know the capabilities of efilive but that statement is far fetched.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 99 Dodge Cummins with the basic hop up stuff and auto trans mods. My mileage didn't change when I went from 32" to 35" tires. Probably the fact that the RPM droped a few hundred at the same speed offset the added airo drag. I also get about the same 19 mpg towing a light boat as I do empty, but our speed limit is 10 mph slower when pulling a trailer.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the 3.5x gears the cummins will get great mileage. Mine has the 4.10s witch really kill it on the highway. I just changed my injection pump so I'm hoping to see an improvement in mileage. Towing power and mileage aside you just can't do this in a gasser. Not mine but you get the idea.

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gZbYSgpA6eY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just read yesterday that the Jeep Wrangler is scheduled again to get a diesel. It sounds like all Jeep models should get a diesel if one will fit.
    '86 Valero YT, 2.5 200

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gas is for your lawn mower
    Alcohol is for drinking
    Diesel is for pulling
    Methanol is for racing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slated4Greatness View Post
    Gas is for your lawn mower
    Alcohol is for drinking
    Diesel is for pulling
    Methanol is for racing
    What do you put in your outboard?
    22' Activator w/ 250xs Merc Opti, back home again

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blkmtrfan View Post
    rings and pistons every 50 hours

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up 92 Dodge Cummins

Well guys I bought a 92 Dodge D250 with 5.9 Cummins and a 5 sppped trans and 3.54 rear gears and still got it. I cant wear it out! It has got 22 to 23 MPG consistently since new and still gets it. I get 19 towing my 18ft Ranger with a 200 merc on it and all my gear. I sometimes tow very heavy trailers in my work. Sometimes unreal weight. Never get less than 16mpg way over loaded. That old truck is getting worn out but the Cummins has never missed a beat yet at a little over 450,000 miles on it now! Right now it needs a new clutch and front and rear oil seals and rear brakes. The rear brakes system on the truck has never been very good. I give Chrysler Corp a poor grade on the brakes. But that Cummins has been a great motor. By the way I traded a Ford in on it with a 6.9 International diesel and it wasn't even in the same catagory with the Cummins.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also that mileage in logged in a log book and carefully calcualted.... I been satisfied with the old truck.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blkmtrfan View Post
    Hydrozeinne..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast