Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    Right now with the purchase cost of diesel, the value of diesel-equipped vehicles has dropped drastically. Chuck
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Big Three hold off on the 1500 diesels with the high fuel costs now, but it would be a shame if they did.
    Last edited by catmando; 05-24-2008 at 01:42 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dspencer View Post
    When the new 1/2 tons come out and pull a boat at over 20mpg and get in the upper 20's alone they will sell like hotcakes. Most of the diesel boat pullers that don't have heavy boats will make this a hot buy.

Here's a glimpse.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J4wFwIXC7U
    I don't think they will get +20 MPG pulling, but I think the target is about 25-27 empty. IF big IF they can get that MPG empty at 70 mph I will get one. Currently I have slowed down to 60 mph on the highway and I am averaging almost 20 mpg. I get 14ish towing the boat (but I tow real fast since the mileage is **** anyway).

2007 crew cab 5.3 liter z71.

Quote Originally Posted by catmando View Post
    I call BS on that.
    I agree, though he has a light boat and I doubt it effects the diesel's mileage much I doubt that truck gets 20 mpg empty, unless he means on a flat road at 50 mph.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I call BS on that.
    sorry Joe, but so do i.

I have a 04 2wd 6sp and the best I can get towing my Allison is 16 @ 70 and 12 towing my enclosed. I do get an honest 18 unloaded @ 70. back and forth to work everyday in the wonderful Houston traffic I get a little over 20, but that's at 60 and under normally

Last edited by Casey; 06-05-2008 at 08:52 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Don't mean to jump this thread, but..

I don't get why most of us feel we need a truck to pull our boats. If you need the truck for work, if you're racing and need lots of spares, etc., or just like to drive a truck, I get it. But when you find yourself calling your truck your tow pig, maybe you really don't need it.

But what does an STV, Quatershot, Allison or Hydrostream weigh on its trailer--2,000, 2,200 pounds? If that? Until I got my Eliminator 21, everyting I owned I towed with a 4 cylinder manual. I get it with a Pulsar, Skater, maybe even an Eliminator/Liberator/Cougar 21, but frankly my wife's 6 cylinder Pilot has way more towing capacity than I need for the Eliminator (4,500 capacity, guessing tops 2,500 load).
    Per Rock:

"Once I bought my first Hydrostream boating changed forever for me."

Per my hero Instigator:

"I try not to let common sense interfere w/my boat buying decisions."

Pat Gent
    cell 954-249-3246
    '78 Hydrostream Vandal (being rebuilt)
    '86 21' Eliminator Daytona, 300 OMC V-8 (Li'l Toy III)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why? because smaller cars or SUV's pull like crap, have no room and are borderline unsafe in a pinch. my wife has a Acura MDX (same as a pilot) and I may use it to pull my bikes, but no way would I use it to take my boat somewhere, besides that it does not get any better mileage then my truck.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an 08 Diesel Grand Jeep, it is rated to pull 7200. Gets 29-31 mph on the highway now that I am getting to miles on it. And Pulls my STV at 22mpg at about 70.
    2023 TUFF 25

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'l Toy View Post
    I don't get why most of us feel we need a truck to pull our boats. If you need the truck for work, if you're racing and need lots of spares, etc., or just like to drive a truck, I get it. But when you find yourself calling your truck your tow pig, maybe you really don't need it.

But what does an STV, Quatershot, Allison or Hydrostream weigh on its trailer--2,000, 2,200 pounds? If that? Until I got my Eliminator 21, everyting I owned I towed with a 4 cylinder manual. I get it with a Pulsar, Skater, maybe even an Eliminator/Liberator/Cougar 21, but frankly my wife's 6 cylinder Pilot has way more towing capacity than I need for the Eliminator (4,500 capacity, guessing tops 2,500 load).
    Because as Casey said you don't get any better mileage towing with a car as you do a truck. Plus I know I can pretty much cut the wheel and lock the brakes up and feel 100% safe I can pull out of it. If I had a small car or truck I wouldn't feel the same.

Of course my boat is 24 feet long

I also use my truck to tow my car hauler and jeep around.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pier pressure View Post
    hey guys, iam not sure about the benefit of the diesel engine any longer. i have owned 2ea f250 diesel's and one f350 diesel.the aquisition costs are more, the maintenance cost are more, and the fuel cost are more. the only benefit that i can think of is longevity (around 500k miles is not unusual).in ms. diesel is currently $4.10 and my f250 gets 14mpg avg and 10mpg towing.
    If you're tired of your truck staying in the shop because of engine problems trade it for a Dodge Cummins. I know ltl freight brokers who will not load a truck if it's not a Dodge. Cummins motors do not break very often.

The problem with Dodge trucks has been the transmissions, but those have been largely solved with the G56 manual and the new 6 speed Aisin automatic.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gas vs. diesel...

Pull 16K up the hills in and around AZ then tell me you like the gasser better.. Won't happen...

The new for V6 diesel for the F150 is already in the truck mags. Looks like a descent alternative for someone that doesn't tow heavy but wants to be able to knock down some better mileage on a DD..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I test drove a loaded 08' FX2 4-door Ford last night and was completely satified with a warm fuzzy feeling, and I can be really discriminating to the point of almost azzholish... I was convinced that when My $$ gets right that I'll go get one, but I been wanting the birth of a 1/2 ton Diesel for several years at least.. I think that I may wait for it to hit the dealerships before I pull the trigger on a new truck...
    Kevin Kiser

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1999 Allison xb2003 2001 200XS
    2000 Dodge diesel

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    already posted that, good read
    Quartershot T-3R 15" 3.5L E-Tec 1.62 Sportmaster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1/2 ton diesel news?

Any new news ? Big Al, what you got ?
    Looks like lots of cool stuff in the works, but likely on hold due to the economic situation.
    2005 TRIAD STV EURO
    421 HP OMC 3.3 EFI by STOKER
    16" Taylor mid, Merc sporty

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by inspectorlance View Post
    Any new news ? Big Al, what you got ?
    Looks like lots of cool stuff in the works, but likely on hold due to the economic situation.
    EPA, Zippy, Economy, CARB, fuel prices being reasonable, the demand is just too low to justify the cost based on the EPA requirements that don't make it a much more desireable motor.

If they would let em burn some dirty diesel, pull off 30 mpg unloaded and have a reasonable cost by eliminating half the emissions crap you would see them sooner. Most diesel 1/2 ton programs are on hold right now.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2002 dodge ram 2500 4x4 H.O. 6spd with about 500hp, It has 3.54 gears and 35's but I still get around 17-19 mpg towing a 23ft cobalt fully loaded down with stuff...

The truck has killer highway MPG and nice city unless you get on it, then it sucks down diesel like a Atlantic city hooker sucks dick

Chevy and Ford are not going to be doing the 1/2 ton diesels right now from what I can remember reading in a magazine, Also diesel is cheaper than unleaded where I live

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast