Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    I don't see the advantage of diesel anymore with the price so much higher then gas. When we purchased our Excursion, diesel was 1.46 now it 4.11 here. How much is it in Washington? Chuck
    Its $2.79/gal here in the Portland area. Im with you. when I bought my excursion, it was wayyyyy cheaper than gas. Now that its more, even with the lack of maintenance costs....diesel doesnt seem the way to go (other than being GREEN) from an economic standpoint.
    2000 Mariah Z302 Open Bow - Mid Cuddy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oregondunes View Post
    Its $2.79/gal here in the Portland area. Im with you. when I bought my excursion, it was wayyyyy cheaper than gas. Now that its more, even with the lack of maintenance costs....diesel doesnt seem the way to go (other than being GREEN) from an economic standpoint.
    Yes, they certainly aren't as cheap to operate now as they once were. They are however the ticket if you are towing heavy. Pull 15K up a 7% with a gasser then do it with a diesel. Night and day difference.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yes you got it right... My Dodge will definately out pull the Chevy 454 I had that got a whole 9 mpg on Gasoline and the Dodge has never got less than 15 at it's worse and I got that logged in a book towing a heavy trailers in mountains and everywhere. Heck I could have been busted by DOT many times if I had got caught. My D250 and total GVW totaled at over 20K at times! But I always liked the Chevy Silverado dually 1 ton. If only it had the Cummins in it. But quit towing all that heavy stuff and I will take a Toyota Tundra. My buddy has one and I love it. Tows his bass boat like a dream. About 15 mpg on gas but rides so good! My old Dodge rides rough and is noisy and crude. But I can tow that same boat and get 19 to 20 wityh the deisel...... There is always a sacrifice in everything so it seems!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2.79, steve where you buyin fuel... i paid 2.66 yesterday and flying j was 2.54 (doh) its actually about same cost as super most places.. and the aditional 4-5 mpg makes up for its higher cost.. i just pulled joe malich's P5 scarab back to gig harbor yesterday and averaged 17 towing it..

4-16-2014. 25 years old today... the fishin boat doesnt look to bad for a classic does she

things that were are no longer as they are today...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a 08 GMC sierra 1500 with the 5.3l in it as for power, it makes good power for a stock truck but gas is pretty good too 13 in the city and 20-23mpg in the hywy....towing it gets real low in the singles in the city and highway is about 15-17mpg... but i would love a 1/2 ton diesel unfortunately i dont see that happening

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    diesel 1/2 ton would be good but I just wish they would put a standard length bed on the crew cab 1500's. No sale on a 1500 for me until this is done.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need a new truck soon. Trying to hold out for the 1/2 ton diesels but I think they are still a ways off.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nealxb2003 View Post
    I need a new truck soon. Trying to hold out for the 1/2 ton diesels but I think they are still a ways off.
    I know the feeling...I need to replace my truck in the next couple of years. I'm bummed that GM put the baby D-Max on hold....Ford developed a V-6 turbo diesel years ago...and still nothing. Not sure about the fine folks at Dodge...but I suspect they could put together something relatively quickly with Cummins but I haven't heard any rumbling.

Guess time will tell.

Wayne

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't think they would sell. Why get a 1/2 ton if ya really need a diesel? If you've got a big enough load to need a diesel just get a 3/4 ton.
    Think about all the new stuff needed on the new low emission diesels. I don't think the market is there for a 1/2 ton diesel. Plus you have to look at refining capacity. That plays a big part in the price of fuel cost.
    Last edited by CDave; 04-05-2010 at 04:25 PM.
    -----------------------
    93 STV Mod VP/MERC 2.5 200
    -----
    The Bible is life's instruction manual.

Proverbs 4:18-20

" For a nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people."
    -- John F. Kennedy 1962

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cdave

I idea of a 1/2 ton diesel is mostly about mpg and longevity. Great mpg and a long lifespan is what I would want. Its not about huge pulling power, but just adequete pulling power for a 1/2 ton. The proposed motors for the 1/2 tons are much smaller than the big boys.
    2005 TRIAD STV EURO
    421 HP OMC 3.3 EFI by STOKER
    16" Taylor mid, Merc sporty

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    doesnt matter, rumor is they have scrapped the diesel ideas and are going for boosted gas motors

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was originally waiting for the 1/2 ton diesels but after reconsidering my situation I came to the conclusion that a gasser was better for me. My 2002 F-150 only had 35,000 miles on it when I sold it in 2009. I don't put on enough miles to get the payback of the diesel and I don't drive it enough to have the increased mileage benefit me either.

Now if its you're daily driver or you are always hauling a big load then it makes more sense but I agree Pro300x24LD I don't think we'll see one anytime soon because they don't see the market for it. Maybe the Ford Transit van if they think a small diesel could work.
    Half B - Just one more project away from the promised land.
    1994 Allison Grandsport with 260 2.5 EFI and wounded 1988 HST

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was at the gas station the other day and in pulled a 2009 1500 Dodge with a diesel. I looked at it to make sure that is what I herd. He pulled up to the pump and took the green handle and put it in. That was sharp. It was a 1500 on a 3/4 chassie. Did not get a chace to talk to him. My buddy has the 07 gasser like this. Nice set up for pulling trailers but he gets 8 mpg loaded and 13 to 15 unloaded and running 65-70 mph.
    Diesel her in Ann Arbor MI is between 2.99 and 3.17 now it is on the way up. Sometimes I wished I didnt have my 06 Dodge 3500 with the 5.9L but it pulls my 5th wheel 80mph all day long and getting 13mpg loaded. 19 unloaded, 80 mph and stock.
    Going to switch to off road fuel and see if the higher sulfer content will help the mpg. I know that it will help the longivity of the motor.
    Bill

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4