Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is a noticable difference in stock tuner extremes. More so when you play with jetting and fuel curves. With a 135/150 long tuner to the 2.4 200/ Bp tuner was 300 rpm. This was with a 1976 1750 on a land and sea plate that was cut and welded for bolt on tuners.

With the race motors I've been using the same drag tuner I've had forever but at this point in life I can care less about nit picking to that level.

2. Thanks Garth91 thanked for this post
    Likes Garth91 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Garth91 - Is that your age - 91? - I am 77 years old and still building/racing Cars.

I previously came to the USA and bought a KBS f500 with a CVT transmission. I re - engined with a 600cc Rotax twin and AAen CVT and used it as my devlopment car for this V8 monster, call "Maximus" I have just about sorted the CVT tuning, lots of primary arm weight and very sofy secondary spring.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	07 Final0002.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	376.2 KB 
ID:	496753

4. Likes Capt.Insane-o, Garth91 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No sir i am 41.
    The 91 is a handle from other forums as I have a 91 Trans Am.
    That is awesome that you are still racing at 77 years old, I can only hope to be doing the same at that age.
    Lots of knowledge in regards to AAEN, hopefully you have a copy of and have studied his book on CVT.
    04 XR 2001 RR/2.5
    94 XS 2003 GSE/00 Promax
    87 Vegas XT
    87 Wellcraft 23 Nova XL
    86 Wellcraft 3400 Gran Sport

6. Likes Capt.Insane-o liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Garth - yes - keeps the grey matter working!
    For the V8 - CVT I used: http://www.stmpowersports.com/ The unit I have is rated at 600hp, used on drag racing in USA.
    I use very soft compound tyres(tires) on my race car, hence no wheel spin. This gives unusual feedback to the secondary. I have fitted a "Go Pro" camera trained on the CVT to try and analyse whats happening. If you are interested, please PM me with your email address and I will send you a video of its problems.

8. Likes Capt.Insane-o liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillclimber View Post
    Hi Garth - yes - keeps the grey matter working!
    For the V8 - CVT I used: http://www.stmpowersports.com/ The unit I have is rated at 600hp, used on drag racing in USA.
    I use very soft compound tyres(tires) on my race car, hence no wheel spin. This gives unusual feedback to the secondary. I have fitted a "Go Pro" camera trained on the CVT to try and analyse whats happening. If you are interested, please PM me with your email address and I will send you a video of its problems.

please post
    all kinds of videos please

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Capt.Insane & Garth91 - thanks for your posting. You probably realise that I live in England. I possibly have the only V8 here in the UK and belt type CVT's are like "Hens Teeth"!! I rely on all my help from people like you in the USA - THANKS.

I will/can attach three videos and one picture:

One shows me competing at Shelsley Walsh Hillclimb - www.shelsleywalsh.com - its the oldest motor sport venue in the world, still going. Speed is slow due to CVT problems seen in 3rd video.

Next is the start line at Shelsley

The 3rd video is "Go-Pro" footage of the CVT. Initial its at the tire warming area, proceeding to the start line, a little backwards to get aligned with the electonic timing light, and then away. Turn UP the volume

The picture shows my creation. An Evinrude 3.6L - V8, installed with horizontal crankshaft, 8 Mikuni Super BN carbs, my own ignition system and the CVT driving the real axle differential. Its a 2000 hour + build project over 9 years - 4 thinking, 3 building, and 2 sorting problems.

The car has been named "Maximus" - He was the Roman Emperor who built the 1st Chariot racing circuit in Rome circa 400AD. My 600cc Rotax triple car is "Minimus"

https://www.facebook.com/peter.hubba...84183526263096

https://www.facebook.com/peter.hubba...23536888381817
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shel eng.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	431.0 KB 
ID:	496812
    https://www.facebook.com/peter.hubba...54221205075129
    Last edited by Hillclimber; 11-22-2021 at 04:09 AM.

11. Thanks Capt.Insane-o thanked for this post
    Likes Capt.Insane-o liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The car on this page must have put down a pretty quick time at that speed: https://www.shelsleywalsh.com/info
    Was cool to scroll down further and see Stirling Moss standing there.

Was the debris at the end of your CVT video coming from the road or out of the clutches?
    Interesting spot you've got your spare belt stored, are you going through enough belts that it needs to be that accessible? or just a lot of work to take lower shaft apart?
    What is your target RPM and what RPM are you currently getting? Do you have any data logging? If not, even just aim your GoPro at the tach so you can watch your run after.
    Do you have a copy of this Clutch Handbook? https://www.aaenperformance.com/handbooks.asp
    My CVT experience is exclusively with snowmobiles.
    04 XR 2001 RR/2.5
    94 XS 2003 GSE/00 Promax
    87 Vegas XT
    87 Wellcraft 23 Nova XL
    86 Wellcraft 3400 Gran Sport

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Garth
    My time up the Hill was 42.4 secs. The top racers can do it in 24 !! but thats with F1 technology and engine. My aim next year is mid 35's.
    Shelsley Walsh is oldest motor sport venue in the world - 1st event 1905.
    The "Debris" is actually water droplets coming from a loose air purge valve. With the engine installed horizontal, I had to fit air purge to trapped air pockets.
    Yes 2 hour job to strip to fit new belt - hence spare fitted. one belt will last me a years racing.
    My engine tuned for max at 5500 to 7000 rpm, so getting CVT tuned to match that, I engage the CVT about 4000 RPM, now looking at launch control to prevent wheel spin.
    I have data logging - 8 EGT's, 4 spark plug sensors, 4 water temp + RPM. I use an instrument made in South Africa for aeroplanes fitted with the Rotax two stroke engine - has a visual display.
    All my previous CVT's were Aaen, so thats where I learnt about their tuning.

Any thoughts on the CVT? Its not working correctly, seems too much torque feed back from the tyres(tires), looks like much softer spring required but race season finished for this year.
    Last edited by Hillclimber; 12-02-2021 at 04:33 AM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6