Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Need Web Site Help

As you all have read my web site is down ( almost 2 weeks ) and the guy that handles the web site is great ( changes and updates ) but the server is un accessable when the site goes down and there seems to be no end in site ! I'm no computer "guru" but I feel these thing can be "fixed" within a reasonable amount of time .... Does anybody own a server company, work for a server company , or know of a server company that can hadle the JSRE site and render service I am willing to pay for ???????

Please E-Mail me @ hitman6563@aol.com
    or call 1 281 576 5088 cst
    Thanks a million !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jay @ JSRE
    Jay @ JSRE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My suggestion

Jay, I have some advice for you on your site issues. From what you say, it seems as if you're having quite a bit of downtime which is completely unacceptable, espcially if it takes a while to come back up. After all, you pay for service rather than lack there of.

I do a bit of web design on the side and I do not host the sites I do. Rather, I set up an account for my customers with their hoster of choice. If they don't know who to use or don't care since I'll be doing all of the updating, then I recommend Yahoo!. Why? Yahoo's servers are fast and reliable. Their control panel for updating is easy to navigate, and their uptime is about 98% from what I've seen over the last year and a half. Even IF my site does happen to go down due to routine maintenance with their hardware, it's only for a minimal amount of time. I've been down twice since I opened my account with them. Once for about 3 hours, another for about an hour. Then there's the price....$14.95 a month which inlcudes domain registration and renewal fees of NEW domain name registrations. If you have a domain name already, you must set up an account with Yahoo! to transfer your name, they'll email you the DNS info to send to your current hoster so they can update the info and within a few days the site will then point to Yahoo! rather than whoever is hosting it now. Of course this does rely a bit on the current hoster to actually do the DNS info update. The only disadvantage to transfering an existing name is that you will be required to pay the renewal fees yourself (about $80/yr) when it comes time. On the other hand, if it was a new name that you were setting up through Yahoo!, they would pay that as long as you host with them. Now, there are accoutns you can set up through "Yahoo! Website Services" or through "Yahoo! Geocities". I've only used Yahoo website services so you'll have to read up on the differences.

Here are the links for you to check out:
    Domain Move page: http://website.yahoo.com/wallet.html

Details on the Yahoo Website Services starter package:
    http://website.yahoo.com/indexyws.html

Details on the Yahoo! Geocities packages:
    http://safe.website.yahoo.com

Good luck!
    Buster
    www.bustersdesigns.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a few ?

Does this tend to be a harware issue, If so what type of servers, what platform are you running.

Is it a software issue ?

Is it a WAN isssue, that is where I can help no charge.

I have all kind of people in Telcom industry. I can probably hook you up with someone or point you somewhere.

It is oddd, yusually you will have a plain old moden hooked up to your router or server for just there type of issues...I am surprised this is not installed.

need help

misselha@tampabay.rr.com

MLI5@avaya.com
    G-Man, Sunshine Syndicate |

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jay, I use Interland (http://www.interland.com). They're reasonable (I'm paying $16.95/month for a 250 meg site), and they are a very large and well supported company. I've got the Mirage site on Jarvis (they market the ikonboard bulletin board), but their service is for crap so I'm going to move it to Interland as well when that contract is up.

If you need assistance in transferring the site, let me know, I'll be glad to help.

Sam
    Sam Baker
    On to the next project....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jay, I do web site design and have for years. I originated the APBA web site, did APBA Offshore and originated and do the APR Superleague site as well as others such as BAR Racing, Wood Song Conoes, Florida Professional Real Estate, Something on Seventeen Antiques etc.

Quite often a design firm will "host" your site. They will either use their own server, usually very bad idea. Or will become a reseller for one of the larger firms that host server farms.

You need to transfer your site to a firm that their main business is web site hosting. Many have free or reduced fees for this. The yearly domain name renewal fees are sometimes reduced if you host with them. You can also shop around for an inexpensive renewal company.

Your best bet is to transfer the site to a hosting company. Most have 99.9% uptime guarantees. If you need maintainence or design help that can be contracted out seperately. But this way you control your site. e-mail me or call if you need more information, Jeff, www.imsdesign.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Jay
    Contact http://www.webforesite.com/
    The man you want to talk to is Mark Flynn (Owner)
    Tell him I sent you and he will take care of you on every leval you need.
    Chris Lake
    262-703-0341
    2006 Action Marine Comp
    1980 Ventrua 2

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)