Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

280 Maintenance

I have a 2000 280 purchased with around 50hrs.I have had it for 2yrs.I did leak down last summer perfect compression 150 all 6. I am concerned about refresh before repair.Motor has drag electronics and local shops can not communicate.Best way to determine when to refresh hrs,comp,leak?Told motor was top pinned. Easy way to find out? I am a maintenance freak so any info would be highly appreciated.Thank you.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where you at in La, I'm in Amelia. I've got a 280 on an Allison. Leak down is the best way to determine the shape of the rings. You have O ring heads, get a torque wrench and pull the heads. then you can get a real close inspection on the condition of the nic and the pistons. Pull the exhaust plate and you can inspect the rings.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to Scream and Fly !

If you DDT the engine and check history it will tell you the time that has been put on the engine and at what rpms it was normally ran... If the motor has run 130-150 hrs. it might be time for a re ring job. You never mentioned the leak down %'s as compression numbers are a bit vaige and don't give the total accurate picture of bore /ring health. As far as your motor being top pinned I understand that some of the 2000 year model 280's were and some were not. That would NOT leave me with a warm fuzzy feeling as I have numerious 280 blocks lying around my shop that have been turned into a pile of .50 a pound scrap metal by a locater pin failure. If the leak down was no more than 6-8 % I'd keep an eye on it and run it a while longer. If one or more readings jumps to 10% trouble is brewing and if ran much longer it can cause coating damage and increase the cost of a simple rebuild by 2 fold. I rebuild these things DAILY and if properly maintained the 280's are very good and dependable engine and will give the owner MANY trouble free hours service, left unattended it can turn into a money pit with seemingly no bottom...

Again welcome to Scream and Fly,
    Jay @ JSRE 1 281 576 5088 cst
    Jay @ JSRE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in hammond la. going to do leak down and pull head for visual.I am keeping fingers crossed that pistons are topped. If so rering and send ecu to rapair.Then i will know what i got.Thanks for replies may have more questions in near future.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Smith
    If you DDT the engine and check history it will tell you the time that has been put on the engine and at what rpms it was normally ran
    Now how is it going to give you total time if the electronics were changed out?

Is this Hoonya (sp?) that runs on the Tickfaw in a Rocket basser?
    Last edited by Forkin' Crazy; 04-05-2008 at 03:29 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't see that , guess I'll need you to keep me on the straight and narrow right Forkin ?
    Jay @ JSRE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up HAHAHAHA! Dat's rite!

LOL!!!

Hey Hoonya, next time I see you on the Tickfaw, I'll out run you worse than before.... I got 4 mph better top end than the last time I out ran you!!! Just a warning!!!

Oh and tell your buddy with the DCB with the twin 300 Mariners that he did a good job out running me in my SS with an 28 year old Xflow (the same motor I had on my XB 02 I beat you with the last time with)!!!! LMAO!

PS, you had me fooled with that Pro Max cowl!
    Last edited by Forkin' Crazy; 04-05-2008 at 10:06 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea this is Hoonya.Good spelling by the way.That was a 225 promax. I dont play games or be sneaky i am straight forward!!!!! Honestly do not remember running you?It was running 92mph in perfect conditions.Hey you are running a alli but for what i got she not to shabby upper 90's so far only turning a 28 chopper 7200rpm???? Cant get it to turn up need help!!!!! Not many people aroud here familar with 280 tuning.I know i am sitting on 100mph plus jus having fie tuning problems.As for the dcb he is ready any time.Was ur other ali white because i Honestly dont recall being beat? If u would like to talk call me 985-969-5050 jus to get acquainted.I like meeting new people especially with fast boats.I need u to help me set up my brother-n-laws 2003ali.
    Last edited by ROCKET 280 MERC; 04-05-2008 at 11:57 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RE. MR. Ally

Im the one with the dcb. I didnt realize you didnt have a motor up to the challenge until after i already turned around. Thats why i didn't smear it in your face. I knew you couldn't run with me. I'm not being boastful and I guess that you think that was my intention. You don't even know me, I am far from being like that. I am a modest individual. Your boat runs awesome with that lower horsepower engine. My boat doesn't even run what it should for having 600 hp. I should be mid 120's. I've only seen 112 but 120's are just a prop swap away. So please don't rattle on about me. When you don't know me

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ROCKET 280 MERC View Post
    That was a 225 promax. I dont play games or be sneaky i am straight forward!!!!!
    Oh so you have an alien cowl on it now? I was told that you had a 280 on it then. So I guess the guy was telling me a story.

Didn't all the 280s come with the alien cowl????

Maybe this pic will remind you.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh boy............

Quote Originally Posted by turbo408 View Post
    Im the one with the dcb. I didnt realize you didnt have a motor up to the challenge until after i already turned around. Thats why i didn't smear it in your face.
    Oh… That is why you came blasting by me like I was standing still…

I knew you couldn't run with me. I'm not being boastful
    Then why did you blow by me? Not like I wouldn’t have done the same thing!!

and I guess that you think that was my intention. You don't even know me, I am far from being like that. I am a modest individual. Your boat runs awesome with that lower horsepower engine. My boat doesn't even run what it should for having 600 hp. I should be mid 120's. I've only seen 112 but 120's are just a prop swap away. So please don't rattle on about me. When you don't know me
    Well, I guess if you can’t take a little “rattling”, then we might ought to stay away from each other.

120? I was figuring 130 and change. Very nice boat. DCBs rock. I would hate to have to feed those beasts though!!!

Paul.
    Last edited by Forkin' Crazy; 04-06-2008 at 12:23 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be correct someone did not know what they wre talking about.I had the 225promax kick rod out then went to the 280.I try to get along with everyone and i am in no way trying to be racing everbody.I am just tryin to get the best performance for what i got i am a fisherman.I dont mind playin once in a while but no way out to beat everyone.I just enjoy being on the water and relaxing. No hard feelings here.I remember that ali now we ran from prop stop to no wake.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    i am a fisherman.I dont mind playin once in a while but no way out to beat everyone.
    Ahh Ha Ha Ha...... .....U ain't no damm fisherman! .......Shane said he kin fish U under tha table, then kick ya azz back to tha launch!!!

Juss jerk'in ya chain...Dump dat 280 for a 225X...it will run faster than what ya got.....Oh wait, U juss a fisherman...Git ya a Sizuki fo stroke, an save sum gas, an then U kan slip by tha Rexaminium witout wake'in me up in da morn'in!!!

Turbo408, Stop by tha Camp nex time ya pass...I ain't got nutt'in fass, but I like ta talk about them ...I been see'd ya bote, but never met ya...

I got tha float'in camp across from tha prop stop wit tha green roof...Tha only camp wit a boat shed on one end!!...I try to keep all my ole slo junk outta tha sun an rain... ........Hoonya, U no wher I'm at

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ROCKET 280 MERC View Post
    No hard feelings here.I remember that ali now we ran from prop stop to no wake.

None taken, and I wasn't trying to be an arsehole, but it just comes natural sometimes.

I have to tell ya though, that was one of the funnest times I have had on the water. See you soon!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    and I wasn't trying to be an arsehole, but it just comes natural sometimes.
    SUMTIMES?????..........I thank U try'in to de-throne me sumtimes!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast