Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1982 V-King Resto

Hi all!!!

Just looking for advice on my first resto. I picked up what looks to be an '82 Hydrostream V-King with some considerable glass damage (crack in the top deck, floor rot, and cracks in the corner of th splashwell and transom). Almost looks like someone overpowered her at some point. I also found an old '81 Merc 175 that i figured would compliment this boat nicely. My plan is to take my time and try to do things right(repairs, modifacations, upgrades). I have only been amember to S&F for a week or so and my head is allready full of wonderful knowledge. Thanks to all in advance.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Good Choice!

The Vking is my favorite boat. May not be the best, may not be the fastest etc. But it is an all time classic. Taking the time to do it right is the key. It will require more patience than most have, but will be rewarding. Remove the rotten floor, Carefully check the core and replace any rotten wood. The transom will be tricky. Drill some samples and see if/how rotten the transom is. Cracks are common, but it doesn't necessarily men that it needs to be replaced. You may be able to beef up the fiberglass in the area of the cracks and get an aluninum plate on the back too
    In reference to the Hydrostream Power Tour:

Quote Originally Posted by Scream And Fly View Post
    This is seriously one of the best threads on this site ever.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JayW1402 View Post
    Hi all!!!

Just looking for advice on my first resto. I picked up what looks to be an '82 Hydrostream V-King with some considerable glass damage (crack in the top deck, floor rot, and cracks in the corner of th splashwell and transom). Almost looks like someone overpowered her at some point. I also found an old '81 Merc 175 that i figured would compliment this boat nicely. My plan is to take my time and try to do things right(repairs, modifacations, upgrades). I have only been amember to S&F for a week or so and my head is allready full of wonderful knowledge. Thanks to all in advance.
    Good luck I hope everything goes well. If you get stuck someone will always be here to guide you through your problem. Dont get discuraged if you ask a question and someone critisizes you, some people on here think they know it all (some do)but instead of giving good advise they just want to tell you how "you're doing it wrong" or "i wouldnt have done it that way" You'll start to learn the more you read who to trust and who not to. Oh yeah , when you said that some one may have over powered it at some point ... well i would say that about 95% of the people who own Hydrostreams (me included) over power them!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JayW1402 View Post
    Almost looks like someone overpowered her at some point.
    Never heard of (Overpowering)

If we didn't then how would we go fast!!! We would be slow
    "Brandon Field"

Formerly Fieldzy

Silly Rabbit, OMC's are for Kids

1982 Hydrostream Vandal, Currently under Resto

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

threads

do a search on riverman, he has an great one. he rebuilt his viper just like the great john spaeth (not sure if that is spelled right) does them at hydrostream of canada. also alan power, search him also, he did a vking afew years ago. i am rebuiling my 1978 vking with 1978 175hp merc with west system epoxy because i thought it would be easier. once done i will get another hull and rebuild it like riverman and alan did and see which one i like more. i bet the both end up about the same but i would think using poly is easier than epoxy.

good luck and have fun. i though i was going to be done in a month last year, i am still going!

but i was lazy last fall with hunting and all.

RJ
    1973 Viper - sold
    1978 Viking - sold
    1995 XB02

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jay I was where you are last August, rotten boat, lots of enthusiasm, and a million questions. My recore is done and I am in the finish and paint stage now. RJ is right, Jeff (Riverman) documented his recore in detail, an is a great outline of how to do it. The materials are a source of constant disagreement here, my recore is the almost cheapest and least desirable way, vinylester, balsa and hand layup, no vacuum bagging.

My opinion at this point is that all methods will work, and it depends on your attention to detail, patience, common sense, and your wallet as to how well it works.

My advise is to read through the info in this section (fiberglass discussion), there are several people doing restos on streams right now, learn what you can, and make your decision according to your tools, facilities and finances.

Oh, and get ready to ITCH!

Bernie
    OK, I got down off the porch and ran with the big dogs....kinda sore now....think I'll just lay here in the flowerbed for a while...

1976 Hydrodyne 18 I-O
    1969 Allison 15R, 1973 Merc 1500 (project)
    1995 Harris toon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so where do i start???

Well i should be taking delivery of the hull and trailer tomorrow. Will hopefully be borrowing a truck from work to drive into Boston to pick her up and bring her back to the shop. My boss has been kind enough to lend me space in the garage to do my repairs. Him and a couple of his brothers have a few hydrostreams too. 4 all together i think! Any suggestions on where to start??? I was thinking floors first??? Well I will post some pics of the boat as soon as I can. Thanks for the words of encouragement!
    Jay
    82' HydroStream V-King...1st time resto

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jay, Yep, floors first. Then post pics. Most likely you'll be stripping it to the outer hull and recoring, maybe a transom and stringers, new floor etc. The core removal and cleaning off the old core adhesive from the outer hull is the hardest part.
    OK, I got down off the porch and ran with the big dogs....kinda sore now....think I'll just lay here in the flowerbed for a while...

1976 Hydrodyne 18 I-O
    1995 Harris toon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Floors Out!

So i Got the floors out. Stringers look to be ok. Core is all intact and not soft so I was thinking of putting a couple fresh coats of glass over them then laying a new floor. Any thoughts??? What is the best method for glass?? Once i grind everything down .....woven cloth....mat....then woven again???
    Making progress!!!!
    Jay

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jay, you might be right, the core may be intact, but you can't tell just because it's not soft. You are gonna need to uncover the balsa. You need to drill a few test holes through the outer skin of the laminate (inside the boat, not through the gel coat!)to check for moisture, or better yet, cut some 4" squares of the skin off near the rear of the cockpit close to the transom.

BTW if it looks like a hardwood floor, (so you can see the grain in the wood) it is all good. If it is dark brown or black, you've got work to do in there....

If the core is OK it doesn't need any more 'glass on it. I hope you are right and it's intact, but you would be one of the VERY few lucky ones. Just don't fool yourself thinking it is good and then after reflooring and rigging, find out you gotta tear it all out again.

You've got your laminate schedule backwards. The mat is for finish work, the woven (hopefully stitchmat, woven is pretty much a material of the past now) is structural. You want mat on the outside so the cloth (woven or biaxial stitchmat) wont 'print through' (show it's pattern in the finish). Stitchmat is just biaxial cloth (like woven, but much smaller strands) stitched to a thin mat. Heavy woven roven was used for heavy consrtuction in the past, and some used it for repair, but it's HEAVY, it sucks up a LOT of resin, and it's not required in a cored boat.

We need pics!
    Last edited by oldskier; 04-06-2008 at 06:42 PM.

1976 Hydrodyne 18 I-O
    1995 Harris toon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jay

I have read this entire thread and so far there is not 1 spec of bad advice,everyone who has resopnded to your post has in my opinion been, on top of their game , and obviously very willing to help. you really need to post some pics so you don't make this project bigger than it needs to be . fiberglass boats are built from the outside in and must be restored from the inside out!!! good luck

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pics!!!

Finally some pictures of the old girl.
    First night i got it and started work by removing the interior and cleaning out the debris(leaves, dirt, beer cans, etc.)

By the next night I had all the floors out!

Someones attempt at repairing the crack in the transom!

Crack in the bow.

After 3 short sessions of peeling, grinding and scraping! Driver side is 95% striped of core.

Better view with some sunlight!
    Jay

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you think Bernie???
    Jay

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pics are kind of small, If you havin trouble posting them, just send them to me
    "Brandon Field"

Formerly Fieldzy

Silly Rabbit, OMC's are for Kids

1982 Hydrostream Vandal, Currently under Resto

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone have any opinions on where to locate the fuel tank??? I would like to install some knee braces to tie the new stringers to the transom and doing so greatly reduces the size limitations.
    Jay

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast