Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbe looking to buy a Checkmate enticer, need advice!!!

Hey everyone,

I am looking to buy my first boat. I have a seadoo xp now, and want to get rid of that to enter the boat world. I am familiar with boats as i have been around them for quite some time(my father has a 21 crownline that is fully customized). I did alot of work on this boat with him.

To get to the point, i found a boat for sale near my shore house. It is a 1982 Checkmate Enticer. It has a 90 Mercury on it and a redone interior in 2004. The guy wants 1900 for the boat and trailer. I do not no much about the boat so i have included pictures. I just want to talk to some people who are familiar with this type of boat and can guide me in the right direction.

I work at my family owned auto resto shop and we do some work on boats. We are in the process right now of restoring a 28foot apache. We have also put new stringers and a floor in my dads crownline along with full custom paint and partial reupholstery.

Here are the pics of the checkmate:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Check 1.jpg   Check 2.jpg   Check 3.jpg  
    Last edited by Leadfoot327; 03-22-2008 at 06:13 PM. Reason: forgot to bold letters

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    any info would help. how does it ride? what speed will it produce with a 90? is the engine a reliable one? is it worth 1900?

Thanks

Cody

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

seems to be a nice clean boat for the money ...as far as horse power your not gonna break any records but i would say a good start to boating ....the price seems right ...i say go for it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say go for it, then take that 90 off, and buy my xr4 150 and slap it on there..should be a nice boat for the money..I love my checkmate

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what you sellin that XR4 for stl?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what is the rx4 i am completely unfamiliar with outboards how much are you asking?

How does this hull design handle 1-2 possible 3 ft chop. i will have it in the rehobeth bay in deleware

thanks everyone

cody

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An xr4 is a mercury outboard 150 hp, and from what ive gathered from talkin to people it was mercurys anwser to a horsepower limit on bass fishin tournments. They say its only a 150 horse, but its more like 170-175 hp. These motors had small gear cases on them so they could get more speed out of this motor. Its also a carb motor. 2.4 liter. Also from what ive heard you can change the carbs intake and reed block to make it a 200 hp motor. Its a awsome running motor, Ive tured mine to 6000 rpm with a 24 chopper on it on my 20 foot checkmate enchanter to 58mph. This isnt a light boat either, and that was with two full grown men, tools and 3 different props in the boat. Im not sure what I would want for it, I dont know what these motors are goin for, and I dont have another motor to put on the boat right now, a 225 is being built for me, but then a 260 is also being built..so I would have to wait till those motors are done before I could sell the motor..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks alot for the info man. pm me when you find out what your doing. i think i am going to look at this boat one more time tomorrow and check it out a little better and make the owner an offer. he is really pressing to sell apparently.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well when you go look at it, look on the coastguard plate and see the max hp rating..you may not be able to put that big of a motor on there..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the HP rating is 125 on that boat... lots of guys are running the merc v6 135 or 150s on them though, or on the predictor, which is the same hull without the openbow. Im looking for a 135 or maybe a 150 and trying to figure out what to do about it... make sure your state doesnt have any regulations, i know NH doesnt, and youll have to check it with ur insurance some dont care and some only let you go 10% over the rated HP.

With a 90 youll be just touching 50 mph at best. throw a 135 on and youll get over 60 with good setup, a few guys are gettin up around mid 70s with the 150s