Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paint Options "These Days"

I have been looking to repaint my boat, update the colors a bit, that sort of thing.

I know some people recommend imron. However it's deadly without a good positive flow mask. Hmmm

What about Basecoat/Clearcoat automotive type paint???? Dkramer, used it and it seems to have worked for him. Does anyone else have any thoughts on the subject????

Thanks Ed
    Boats love hundred dollar bills.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Car paint works ok, but like I told a friend of mine... how many times do you walk on your car/truck? Car paint is softer and will not hold up as well as Imron, Awlgrip, and the like.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see your point, you have to be more careful with footwear. Of coarse, not alot of people are wearing shoes in the summer. The plus of a boat is no road sand to plast your paint at 70 mph either.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by HighVelocity View Post
    I see your point, you have to be more careful with footwear. Of coarse, not alot of people are wearing shoes in the summer. The plus of a boat is no road sand to plast your paint at 70 mph either.
    How bout if somebody gets on your boat at Ski Beach???? And they don't clean their feet good?????? Chuck
    CHUCK & TRACY FREELAND

1990 25 Talon with twin Merc. 300XS's
    1983 Mako 21 with Merc. 225.
    www.Fullthrottlepowerboats.com

NEVER FORGET 9/11

Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cellphone, food stamps, section 8 housing, a six-pack of beer and he'll vote for a Democrat the rest of his life.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rock Beach

Hey Chuck,

Yeah that could happen, but by that time I will have had too many beers to care. LOL

We have the 5 and 9 year old boys so deep down I know there will be some wear and tear...LOL

I was talking with a guy who shoots boats at Silverton, he says the automotive paint is a good way to go on an older boat like mine.

Hey, are you doing the Mullica River Run this year???

Ed

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was always told that it was the clear that makes the paint.

Can't tell you about the Run yet. I got a ton of crap going on. Chuck
    CHUCK & TRACY FREELAND

1990 25 Talon with twin Merc. 300XS's
    1983 Mako 21 with Merc. 225.
    www.Fullthrottlepowerboats.com

NEVER FORGET 9/11

Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cellphone, food stamps, section 8 housing, a six-pack of beer and he'll vote for a Democrat the rest of his life.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a friends' car with aircraft paint back in the '80's. Can't remember the brand, but boy was it tough. He got sideswiped in that car and the paint actually held up better than the panels. I know it was an imron type paint, but was more abrasion resistant.
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interlux Perfection, and PPG Concept Clear.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you want a paint scheme for your Velocity check out BIGNICK's in the Rondak Romp gallery,were I more computer literate I'd post them for you but maybe Chuck can point you in the direction!
    why ask me ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Automotive Paint

I have been very pleased with how my paint is holding up. Mine was shot with an Automotive paint and cleared and it holds up fine. The boat is taken out of the water after every weekend and washed and dried, and waxed every 2-3 times. We try to minimize walking on the deck and things like that with dirt and rocks on our feet, but sometimes you may have some sand on your feet and it hasn't been a problem yet as far as scratching. A good cleaner wax takes out pretty much anything I have come across thus far. I also got an awesome deal on my paint so I am very pleased.

Dave
    1988 21' Checkmate Starflite
    2005 Mercury 250XS 3.0L

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have no problem wit car paint either...My big REX haz been painted for 9yeerz with base cote cleer, and it haz held up quite well for what it goes thru!!...Yes, it haz scratches, but nuth'in stands up to this plastik/stainless leg ov mine...

I also have several boats painted with single stage, with gloss hardner(tha Lil rex iz one) and it haz held up quite well!!!....MONEY dicktates what paint I use, and with the price ov paints now dayz, I may exsperiment with dollar store spray canz!! .....I juss bought tha paint/hardner/2 gallons ov thinner/8 roles ov 2" tape to paint my lil comp hull...single stage(Acrilik enamel) and paid $198.58 for it all( Thats PPG, Omni) I got it thru a friend body shop @ hiz price....My brother haz a body shop nex door to my shop, but he doesn't git the discount Rodchester git'z...My brother iz work'in on a Dodge Viper, and just took delivery in a QUART ov Viper red, base cote...$211.00....And he still haz to git cleer!!!....

Now ya see why single stage lookz so good to me!!!......U pain't with single stage with gloss hardner, let it dry for a couple dayz or a week, then U kan re-sand and shoot cleer over it, and it will look az good(and hold up az good) az any base/cleer....U also kan add cleer cote to the last couple coats ov paint, and it will be tuff and look like Imron!!!.......Juss my CHEEP opinion

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adding clear to single stage is an old painters trick. The young guys look at me like I came from another planet when I tell them to try it. I mix it 50/50. You just have to make sure the catalyst for the clear is the same as the single stage. The clear in the paint makes buffing easier and the finished product looks nicer works especially well with black or white. Sometimes the clear will shift the color a little bit though, usually darker.

T-rex, the most expensive paint I have sprayed yet was sold by the ounce. $48.00 per ounce, thats over $1500.00 a quart, and then since they figured you weren't paying enough there was a $10.00 mixing fee added on.
    Last edited by Scott in MN; 03-06-2008 at 08:24 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Preperation and Stripes Base coat/clear coat

I have understand that prep consists of fixing obvious problem areas and 400 grit over everything you want to shoot. Does that sound right?

Also, when doing stripes on base coat/clear coat. Can you wait for the white base to dry, then tape it, shoot the stripes, then clear everything at once???????????? or will that screw things up??? I know there is a time line involved here.

HV

Dave, thanks for the confidence, I like how nice your checkmate came out.
    Last edited by HighVelocity; 03-13-2008 at 04:47 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Also, when doing stripes on base coat/clear coat. Can you wait for the white base to dry, then tape it, shoot the stripes, then clear everything at once????
    Yes, thats one of the things that makes it so nice to work with.

I wouldnt worry about base/clear, theres nothing more UV resistant than a good automotive clear. The right clear is pretty damn tough too if its shot in the correct thicknesses and conditions. (right temp for your reducer, low humidity, etc.) I think a lot of these clear jobs get a bad rap because someone is hogging the crap on there with no knowledge of how a catalyzed paint works. of course it will look awesome, but will never reach its full potential as far as adhesion or hardness.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott in MN View Post
    Adding clear to single stage is an old painters trick. The young guys look at me like I came from another planet when I tell them to try it.
    LOL! I told one of the guys at the paint shop what I was doing and got that same response. "it'll react and alligator, blah blah" Definitely makes black lay out like glass and look awesome. I usually do a medium coat of the single stage, let it tack then shoot a final coat with the 50/50 mix.

How does it look with solid white? Im thinking of doing it with my Blazer instead of base/clear.
    > Stainless steel Merc cowling plates - $110 shipped TYD - LINK <

1979 16' Action Marine/2.5L Merc S3000 - Metalflake Maniac
    1984 18' Contender Tunnel/2.4 Merc Bridgeport

"Where does the love of God go, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I refinished a red flake bass boat & topped it off with Imron clear. Looked better than the day I drove it off the showroom floor. Dat chit was durable stuff too.
    1997 Allison XB2003
    1998 ProMax 150 SS

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast