Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up X-Buddog '79 16' Allison restoration

Been working on this one. This is going to be a tribute boat to our fallen racers and boaters of the byuboyz. Buddy Camp owned this boat, but died of brain cancer before he could finish it.

I have voluteered for the glass work and then some. Here are the pics. It is coming along nicely!

I got enough glass on the outside to start grinding and cutting the inside.

I got the radius and the glass layed over it....

I went ahead and cut everything else out, and grinded the heck out of it... I am itching a bit, but it ain't nothin' for a stepper!!!

I will say this. I don't care for a transom redo from the outside. Buddy had cut this one out before he passed away. I like doing them from the inside. I think it has a bit more structural integrity. That is why I am going so far down on the inside to tie everything in. I think it would hold a 300 drag if some had the gonads to drive it!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tribute boat

Nice ..... In so many ways.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    now git back to work,before Rex comes and finds you playing with the computer!We know you enjoy grinding fiberglass
    why ask me ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys! I spent almost the whole day grinding on the inside. Filled a garbage can with delaminated glass and rotten knees.... funny, the stuff doesn't even make me itch anymore.

I'll be putting on the final lay-ups tomorrow to tie everything in. Hope to get started on the splash well Thursday. Pics to follow!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's looking great FC! You, Rex and all the others who have contributed are doing a really good job and more importantly, a really great thing and I'm sure your friend is looking down and smiling upon you all.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update. Doing some glass work on the inside for a change!!!

Note: The really dark spots I ground down to my first lay up installing the transom. Again my reason for NOT doing a transom repair from the outside.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is going a bit slower than planned, but it is so strong. Coosa board is some bad axx shxt!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jallen355 View Post
    It's looking great FC! You, Rex and all the others who have contributed are doing a really good job and more importantly, a really great thing and I'm sure your friend is looking down and smiling upon you all.

Thanks bro! It brings a tear to my eye when I think about it, so I try not to.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forkin crazy i assume your not done laying up the transom but shouldnt you be using woven roving on the transom since there is not much strength in mat. I know this is your boat so im just asking. The work looks great so far.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NO!!! I hate woven roven!!! It will delaminate in a heart beat! I beat it all out of this boat with a hammer, chisel and a pair of plyers. That is the cheap/easy way out. I guess I am coming from where I have been taught. We built jet boats that weighed 350# bare hull. That was a lake boat, believe it or not. Find and take a look at a true Youngblood built TX 18 or 20 and you will see what I mean! A multi laminent is much stronger! IMO!
    Last edited by Forkin' Crazy; 02-23-2008 at 06:50 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If some of you don't know how it is done, let me give you a little tour, although a virtual tour might be better, but I am way too cumputer stupid to do that...

In one pic you can see where I scored the surface... this will rid it of any "stickers" that might cause an air pocket.

Then I measure, cut, and fit the material. I am using 1.25 oz mat. This is in several pieces with over laps and doubles in structural places.

Then I use a 4" nap roller to apply the resin, and work the air out. When you are done, you throw the nap away, and clean the roller... saves on acetone and makes it easier. I used a 1.5" brush to do the corners. I mixed up about a quart and a half with 15cc of MEKP to do this.

High humidity from the rain caused a slow cure time, preventing me from finishing the transom today... One more lay up of a double mat from the floor all the way over and back down the outside will finish it. I have to put in what is left of the splash well and then make a mold to finish it out is next.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forkin' Crazy View Post
    NO!!! I hate woven roving!!! It will delaminate in a heart beat! I beat it all out of this boat with a hammer, chisel and a pair of plyers. That is the cheap/easy way out. I guess I am coming from where I have been taught. We built jet boats that weighed 350# bare hull. That was a lake boat, believe it or not. Find and take a look at a true Youngblood built TX 18 or 20 and you will see what I mean! A multi laminent is much stronger! IMO!
    I Disagree,
    Delaminate most delaminated glass is mat. Mat has NO water resistance and NO strength. That is why most boats are built with Woven Roving because it has superior strength and water resistance.

I beat it all out of this boat with a hammer, chisel and a pair of plyers.
    And if it were built with mat you could rip it all out with your bare hands.

Woven Roving is not the cheap and easy way out, it is quite expensive. Now the mat is very easy to work with but it is junk!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The directional fibers in roving or bi-directional cloth are much stronger than mat. An engineered laminate has carefully-selected fiber orientations depending on the load.
    78 Hydrostream Vandal - under restoration here: VANDAL RESTORATION THREAD
    86 21' Eliminator Daytona
    17' Badetta sandbar skiff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the woven roven delaminated easily on this one. I had to grind the mat out. Biaxial is different IMO. Use to work for Jim Youngblood. We used a mat-mat-cloth lay-up schedule. Never had any problems.

I haven't seen any woven roven on either of my Allisons. Biaxial yes.

Mat has NO water resistance and NO strength
    Yea right!!! So I guess Hydrostream use woven roven and that is why they held up so well?

Everyone has their opinion.
    Last edited by Forkin' Crazy; 02-23-2008 at 12:42 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Streamin101 View Post
    I Disagree,
    Delaminate most delaminated glass is mat. Mat has NO water resistance and NO strength.

Huh? once the resin soaks in and cures, matt is just as waterproof as anything. The matt or bi-ax or roven are not water proof by themselves, the resin is what makes it waterproof. In fact, if you were to pour water directly on each bare piece without resin, the matt would leak less.
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast