Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will go with the temp issue but you never had the correct RPM to start with - 5100 you were lugging the crap out it - should be closer to 6K with a light load - wrong prop and the dealer or dealers should have had that early, sorry for your issues

1976 SeaCraft Master Angler - 200 XRi

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neveredge View Post
    All outboards can have problems, what matters is how the manufacturer takes care of it. From what I have seen lately BRP is doing a better job than Merc.
    At the end of the day all makes & models have some gremlins, at least with BRP you get a 3 year warrenty inc racing. Merc you get one year except if you race it then you are on your own.

I've just started running my new 250HO, it has some serious muscle, pulled one large skier on a drag ski out without revving past 2300rpm with a 28 Raker, I'll put that sort of grunt up against any merc.
    BOAT - Bring Out Another Thousand $

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skirace87 View Post
    At the end of the day all makes & models have some gremlins, at least with BRP you get a 3 year warrenty inc racing. Merc you get one year except if you race it then you are on your own.

I've just started running my new 250HO, it has some serious muscle, pulled one large skier on a drag ski out without revving past 2300rpm with a 28 Raker, I'll put that sort of grunt up against any merc.
    Typical brp logic. Your comparing Mercs race division warranty with BRps consumer warranty, compare Mercs consumer warranty with BRP's and brp comes up short as usual. Mercs 5 year is FACTORY backed, not like brp's first couple year factory backed and then some aftermarket company takes over from there. Besides Merc fishin motors can more then dust away brp's Ho motors, it's a proven fact. I keep hearing of all these etecs blowin up, sounds like they have some major problems. From the sound of it the Days of the ficht nightmares are back
    I'm currently boatless

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how many of u guys...........

that HEAR about failures, know about failures, have any statistics about warrantee claims, and really know who carries warantee coverage, have bought any of these new motors that everyone claims to know all about? Mercs been building race motors for a long time, i sure hope they are able to beat anyones production stuff.Im guessin im the only one that sees merc problems too, somehow they must just get here,nowhere else.Go buy one, then make ur decision

WET PICKLE RACING

The "UNracerxOFFICIAL"
    Home of the fastest Emission Outboard
    Motors on the planet

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NNT View Post
    Typical brp logic. Your comparing Mercs race division warranty with BRps consumer warranty, compare Mercs consumer warranty with BRP's and brp comes up short as usual. Mercs 5 year is FACTORY backed, not like brp's first couple year factory backed and then some aftermarket company takes over from there. Besides Merc fishin motors can more then dust away brp's Ho motors, it's a proven fact. I keep hearing of all these etecs blowin up, sounds like they have some major problems. From the sound of it the Days of the ficht nightmares are back
    Man....
    Why the bitterness? Just agree to have your own opinion...

Or, duke it out like men, Dammit!

Come on, Lets go! Merc guys against OMC/BRP guys! Lets settle this once and for all...

Brings back memories of the old playground, boy I miss those old days...
    Had me an old 5 horse (johnson, of course) on a wards row boat, felt like I was flyin'!

"Cant we all just get a low-ong"??

Anyway, back to work, couldnt resist...

Dr.D.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman69 View Post
    Come on, Lets go! Merc guys against OMC/BRP guys! Lets settle this once and for all....
    That was what went down at Jasper this year, and we know what happened there.

Last edited by Riverman; 04-08-2008 at 12:49 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prove your facts then. I can PROVE that we have not had a big block Etec fail this year so far. Show me the data about all the Etecs you HEAR about blowing up.

I can also PROVE that the Etec can run with the Mercs. You bring me a Stratos 201ProXL or 201XL with a 225ProXS (the comparable Merc motor to the 225HO) and I WILL outrun it.

Time to stop with all your "I heard this, I heard that" crap. I've stayed out of these since they all turn into a pissin match, but enough is enough. If you've HEARD it, PROVE it.

Don't take this as me being biased, I have 2 Mercs now in my workshop (2.5 200EFI, 2.5 225 Promax), my 225HO Etec, and my demo has a 250ProXS.

And before you start, I won't hide anything. A service history on my motor will reveal that it was in the shop 3 times so far.

At 86hrs, it had the deflector pin update and updated spark plugs installed. Down 1 day.

At 100hrs, the gearcase was changed due to discoloration of the paint, no mechanical issues. Down 2 days.

At 138hrs, an injector leaned out and it popped the powerhead, taking the adaptor plate out with it. Down 1 week.

34hrs on the new powerhead now and not even a hiccup so far.

Oh, and don't forget....Mercs 5 year warranty promo expires next week...So make sure you don't go spouting it after April 15th...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the only thing that gets me...........

everyone is comparing a motor built in a high performance factory to one that is built on a production assembly line, i would sure as heck hope the hipo motor would eat the production motor,but..............................If u dont like E-tecs buy a merc, if u dont buy any NEW motors, dont say anything until u have owned them both, if u work on them and have constructive critisism, then this is the place for that,unfortunatly, i deal with almost all of them, they all have thier problems, i just fix them so the customer can continue boating, which is what its all about, carry on.........

WET PICKLE RACING

The "UNracerxOFFICIAL"
    Home of the fastest Emission Outboard
    Motors on the planet

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm only speaking about Australia, I know for a fact you race ANY merc product in OZ and you have NO warrenty

BOAT - Bring Out Another Thousand $

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thumbs down

Besides Merc fishin motors can more then dust away brp's Ho motors, it's a proven fact. I keep hearing of all these etecs blowin up, sounds like they have some major problems. From the sound of it the Days of the ficht nightmares are back
    You don’t know a thing about what you are talking about.
    Mercury is REALLY Good at hiding things. Like the fact that with out the OPTI Max the dealerships would have nothing to do... And that they just laid off over 100 salaried workers this week….
    "Tweakin and Twistin the truth since 1972" NNT= TOOL!!
    I bet you dont even own a boat... Looser
    2006 Action Marine Comp
    1980 Ventrua 2

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    NNT= TOOL!!
    I bet you dont even own a boat... Looser
    I think his parents own a Whaler or something.

He contributes nothing, just bashes. I doubt he has ever held a piston in his hand. I think he may be the reason forum software developers invented the ignore feature.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
    I think his parents own a Whaler or something.

He contributes nothing, just bashes. I doubt he has ever held a piston in his hand. I think he may be the reason forum software developers invented the ignore feature.
    You guys!

Youre killing me! I have noticed though (even being the inexperienced amateur newbie that I am) that the majority of his posts are bashing omc/brp and praising the black pack, I think his dad owns a merc and when he graduates high school, he hopes he will too someday!

all in fun boys, continue, this is entertaining!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Wanna Hold A Piston In My Hand, Just Kiddin Guys, These Forums Are Awesome.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neveredge View Post
    I shouldn't have called you dumb but your comments make you appear to be so. I have owned an aircraft and have friends who are A & Ps. One makes $41 an hour with UPS working on the heavy's. Another is an IA and makes around $100 an hour. I assure you that all the A & Ps I have ever met were competent enough to fix an outboard. Aircraft systems (modern aircraft) are substantially more complicated than DI outboards.

I have owned outboards since I as 12 years old. I think I know how they work.

As far as the service side, I have another friend who is also an A & P and he not only owns an airport he owns a boat dealership as well. Also has one of the fastest STVs on the planet. He is a BRP dealer. I guess he wouldn't know how to fix a motor.
    What the hell does A&P mechanics have to do with outboards? Just because you are an A&P mechanic don't mean sh*t. I've been doing this 20 years and make a substantial living at it, the two have nothing to do with each other. There's a difference in understanding how they work and knowing how to work on them. I'd be willing to bet that for every 100 good car mechanics, there are 10 good aircraft mechanics, and 1 good outboard mechanic. As far as the E-Tec problems we have found that there are substantially less failures than Mercs or Yamaha's. I am a dealer for all three. Yes there are problems but E-Tec is addressing them and working hard to fix them. All three companies build good products and it doesn't do any good to bash them.

I was young and bashful back then.
    Today,...I'd just knock on her door,..hand her the crab dope, and say, "Rub summa this on ya booger. I'll be back day after tomorrow".
    -Bristo

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mirage243 View Post
    I am a dealer for all three.
    Which maker has the best training in your opinion? Just wondering, as some outboard technical training is contracted to the school I work at.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast