Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

175 etec ejunk bombs second time

would like to hear your experiances with the e tec 150 175, i have blown 2 power heads in 1 year 2007, 1st one lased 70 hrs, then 10 hrs, the same pistons exploded both times, now have 2008 power head with new ecm and injectors, and still having problems, one day it runs 47 mph, next day it runs 40-42 mph,5000-5100 rpm, same load, diferent weather, diferent gas, dealer says computer, says it fine, bad gas?,to low rpm?, to cold of water 40f ? CAN U SAY E JUNK !!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 motors in a row having issues sure sounds like an issue with the boat or rigging, and not nessecarily the engine itself. Most issues with the Etecs revolve improper rigging or lack of dealer knowledge with the product. I'd recomend calling BRP, telling them of your issues, and let them point you to a different BRP dealer that may be able to better solve your issues.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have had it at 3 diferent dealers, all say same thing,i have acess to brp dealer #, called there tec line they say to hook up to moitor while driving, that will have to wait for wormer weather here in morthern il

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is any one else running this engine

is any one using this engine ? please post

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dad has a 50 Etec on his pontoon. Never had a problem yet but, sometimes at WOT it runs 500-600 rpms less or more then it dose other times. Same load, same Tampa weather.
    83 Checkmate Predictor/Xr2

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ken, you need to have your dealer check and make sure that the engine is running the latest map software. Even though the ECM was replaced, it may not have the most current software. Also, be sure that the battery connections are CLEAN and TIGHT, and that they used SS locknuts, not wing nuts, to attach the cables to the battery. The Etecs (as all are DI motors) are very sensative to voltage drops/spikes created by the use of wingnuts on the battery terminals. Is this a factory rigged motor, or a re-rigged engine? What kind of boat is it on? Are you running a 150, a 150HO, or a 175?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the boat is a 2007 ranger reata 1850vs made in 3/2007, and a 2007 175 e-tec engine, made in 2/ 2007, acording to the brp dealer that changed the 2 pwer heads, the first was a 2007 reman lasted 10 hrs the one i have now is a 2008 new with all the 2008 stuff, i will verify that, the voltage could be a problem,i have had low volt readings on fish finder after a long day on the water, but this hapened first thing in the morning at take off, after being charged all night, air temp 25F, water temp 41F, i will check nuts, they are not wing nut,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like lemon law material there, good luck.
    I'm currently boatless

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I know of a 175 that was on a Police boat this last season and logged 712hours before an Injector failed taking out #2. Strong engine and the best service record this police force ever had with an outboard.
    2006 Action Marine Comp
    1980 Ventrua 2

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What fuel are you running and do you know if it has any ethanol in it. I have sold several of these and other than bringing the map to the latest version have not had a problem.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NNT View Post
    Sounds like lemon law material there, good luck.

Sounds like ignorant dealer syndrome to me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread comes at a bad time for me as I have a 175 E-TEC being hung on my boat ..... hope I don't have this happen to me!!!
    21XDC BULLET 225 ProMax

Immortality is your's... take it!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big V, the dealer I am with here in St Cloud sold well over 30,000HP worth of Etecs in 07. We also sold 25,000HP in 06. Of all those motors out there (we sell probably 3-4 V6's each month, the rest are smaller motors for pontoon boats), only 6 failed last year. 3 225HO's and 3 smaller (I believe they were 90's). That's a lot of motors out there to only have 6 failures. Mine was one of them, but it was an injector failure, not an engine issue. Injector leaned out and melted a piston out of her. I wouldn't worry one bit. We had an issue with one, yes (1) 150HO last year (same powerhead as the 175), and that was a hard start issue after the motor sat for a while. The latest map revisions took care of it.

When the temps were that cold, did you let her warm up long enough before hammering on it? If the water temp is below 60*, I generally try to run mine for at least 15 minutes before blast off. If the motor doesn't have enough heat in it, and you hammer down to your first fishin hole, it can lead to a cold seize (can happen on any motor, but the DI motors seem to be more finicky about it) due to the cold water not letting the cylinders expand at the proper rate and the piston sticking in the bore.

I hate to say it, but I really think you need to find a new dealer, especially if they told you they put a reman powerhead on. BRP does not ship reman powerheads when one fails, they ship fully dressed, ready to install, brand new powerheads. I'm sure you can probably buy a reman powerhead, but like I said, in the case of a failure they ship out brand spankin new ones. They want the entire powerhead back, including injectors, oiling system, EMM, harness, etc, so that they can determine the cause of failure and see if there is something they need to address on the engines. That failure analysis is what led to the revised oiling ratios, oiling system, and fuel injectors on the 08 HO motors.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get rid of the ETEC and replace it with an Opti. If you want DI reliability in a two stroke then Optimax is the way to go. BRP needs to stick with PWC's, ATV's, Airplanes and trains. Dump the boat motor line, quit trying to save a sinking ship. The ship started sinking with VRO, FICHT, now ETEC.
    Last edited by Trippin; 02-16-2008 at 03:04 PM.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yep...............

an optimax has never failed. seeing how noone even knows the problem, how can these insanly stupid things even be said?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast