Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Cooling problems in germany

Hello, I hope that you can help me. I drive a 1977 jetboat with berkley pump and a chevy big block with water injected headers. If I drive without the flow valve, the water drop out of the smale hole into the headers by 850-1000 rpm. Is it possible to drive without the flow valve, or what can I do, what is the best for my engine.

In germany drives only 3 jetboats and I drive one from this.

Thank you very much and sorry for my bad english

regards from germany
    jürgen

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkrekel View Post
    Hello, I hope that you can help me. I drive a 1977 jetboat with berkley pump and a chevy big block with water injected headers. If I drive without the flow valve, the water drop out of the smale hole into the headers by 850-1000 rpm. Is it possible to drive without the flow valve, or what can I do, what is the best for my engine.

In germany drives only 3 jetboats and I drive one from this.

Thank you very much and sorry for my bad english

regards from germany
    jürgen
    Hi Jurgen,
    Let me see if I can help here. With water injected headers you need to have some method of controling the water going to the headers till you reach somewhere between 1800 and 2000 rpm. What many (including myself) use is a Bassett T fitting. This has a spring loaded ball inside the T-fitting. Water comes out of the thermostat housing to the tee. Then the two lines going to the headers come out the bottom of the tee. The spring loaded ball will stay seated till after you get the boat running a bit harder whereas you are pumping more water. When that happens, the ball pushes the spring back by water pressure and allows water to flow to your headers. Once you let off the gas, the water pressure dies back and the spring forces the ball back to the seat and cuts off the water to the headers.
    You don't want the water flowing at lower rpms as it can get sucked back into your cylinder thru reversion.

Sorry if I've confused you but I'd be glad to help any way I can.........good luck.......john

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello John,

I use a Bassett T fitting too, but if I drive without the flow valve, the engine is to cold. Now I`ve installed a valve after the jet-pump. I hope that I can make a lower water pressure and a hoter engine........ Or do you have another Idea?

thank you very much
    regards Jürgen

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkrekel View Post
    Hello John,

I use a Bassett T fitting too, but if I drive without the flow valve, the engine is to cold. Now I`ve installed a valve after the jet-pump. I hope that I can make a lower water pressure and a hoter engine........ Or do you have another Idea?

thank you very much
    regards Jürgen
    Well, I know many folks that go that route but unfortunately I did it a bit different. What I do is have the valve on the exit where the water dumps overboard. I adjust my valve on that end to control my temps.

This is a great board here but to be honest, there are many more boats like what you and I are dealing with over on the following sites.

Check them out and I'm sure somebody over there can help you. Like I mentioned, many run the setup like how you have, I'm just afraid I don't and don't want to mislead you.

Check out these guys.. I know they'll be able to help

http://www.performanceboats.com

http://www.skagenboats.com

http://www.socaljetboats.com

Or get ahold of Tommy at http://www.jetboatperformance.com He's a great guy and loves to help folks out over the phone.

Good luck and I'll look for your post over at those sites.......john