Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to put the motor back on that was original to the boat. It is a 1969 merc 1250, it used to run 52-55mph with a 20" shaft and a 19 pitch aluminum prop. I have a 15" mid that is going on it along with solid mounts and maybe power trim, raising the prop-shaft up to an inch or so from the bottom should allow me to run a bigger chopper and get some decent speed out of her. Laker did you say the model of my boat is a "Nike". Also do you ever run in northern WI, That invader spent almost all its life on lake Minocqua. Should be back up there this summer, I'd love to be able to show up the ski boats and some of the bass boats, that are 37 years newer!
    1970 16ft G.W. Invader~1969 1250 Merc
    1971 15ft G.W. INVADER~1974 1500 J Block
    11' glen-l TNT

16' Invader under restoration: http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...hreadid=144970

"Where ever I'm going, heaven or hell I do hope they have an engineering department." ~ Elmer Carl Kiekhafer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes that boat is a an Invader Nike.
    I have been all over the state over the years, this summer we might be in the 3 lakes area. Will probably the tomahawk Antique outboards event also. Schwano lake, and of course all the lakes in South eastern Wisconsin. Keep in touch.
    2006 Action Marine Comp
    1980 Ventrua 2

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    Yes that boat is a an Invader Nike.
    I have been all over the state over the years, this summer we might be in the 3 lakes area. Will probably the tomahawk Antique outboards event also. Schwano lake, and of course all the lakes in South eastern Wisconsin. Keep in touch.
    Do have any literature on the Invader or do you just remember it being the Nike? Also when is the Tomahawk event? I'm originally from Wausau so it would be great to get up there one of these years.
    11' glen-l TNT

16' Invader under restoration: http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...hreadid=144970

"Where ever I'm going, heaven or hell I do hope they have an engineering department." ~ Elmer Carl Kiekhafer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gw1250 View Post
    I'm going to put the motor back on that was original to the boat. It is a 1969 merc 1250, it used to run 52-55mph with a 20" shaft and a 19 pitch aluminum prop. I have a 15" mid that is going on it along with solid mounts and maybe power trim, raising the prop-shaft up to an inch or so from the bottom should allow me to run a bigger chopper and get some decent speed out of her. Laker did you say the model of my boat is a "Nike". Also do you ever run in northern WI, That invader spent almost all its life on lake Minocqua. Should be back up there this summer, I'd love to be able to show up the ski boats and some of the bass boats, that are 37 years newer!
    I'm putting a 1250 Short Shaft on a 1959 Anthony I'm restoring. Jeff_G from this board is redoing the powerhead for me. Where did you find the solid mounts? I was looking for a set. There aren't many 1250s around.

BTW, why not do the entire boat with epoxy? This is my second resto and I've yet to use anything but epoxy. When you do the balsa lay the balsa over a garbage can and make sure all the kerfs are loaded with epoxy before laying it in the boat. When you do this you're gonna get a lot of bleed through to the top of the balsa.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I dont know when Tomahawk is for 08 but I will look into it.
    Send me the email where you want the invader brocure sent.
    Its in PDF Format.
    2006 Action Marine Comp
    1980 Ventrua 2

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_velocity View Post
    I'm putting a 1250 Short Shaft on a 1959 Anthony I'm restoring. Jeff_G from this board is redoing the powerhead for me. Where did you find the solid mounts? I was looking for a set. There aren't many 1250s around.

BTW, why not do the entire boat with epoxy? This is my second resto and I've yet to use anything but epoxy. When you do the balsa lay the balsa over a garbage can and make sure all the kerfs are loaded with epoxy before laying it in the boat. When you do this you're gonna get a lot of bleed through to the top of the balsa.
    I found some solid mounts here: http://www.bobsmachine.com/. They are like $75.00 for the set. I'm just gonna have my brother turn me some on the lathe. I was going to switch away from epoxy because of price but i'm not sure yet, I really like the strength, by the way what did you use to thicken your epoxy? Also does the side with the mesh that hold the Balsa together face up or down towards the hull?
    11' glen-l TNT

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Laker thanks for the brochure, pretty cool! Are you sure that I have the Nike, It has never had a windshield and it is rated up to 150hp instead of 100hp. I'm wondering if they didn't make it that year. Also the deck in back where the splash well is is a little different. The GW I have looks almost identical to the Rally, just stretched out. Even the white step pad on the deck is the same as my boat. None the less thanks for the awesome addition to my GW Invader info collection.
    11' glen-l TNT

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also does the side with the mesh that hold the Balsa together face up or down towards the hull?
    Good question!
    It depends on what curvature shape you are laying the core against. Concave, scrim up. Convex, scrim down.

For thickening, use collidial silaca if you don't have to sand it, use microballoons if you have to sand. Please use a respirator while handling the silica in it's dry state as it is toxic in the same way asbestos is. But once mixed in the epoxy it is safe.
    Last edited by Riverman; 12-17-2007 at 07:29 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
    Good question!
    It depends on what curvature shape you are laying the core against. Concave, scrim up. Convex, scrim down.

For thickening, use collidial silaca if you don't have to sand it, use microballoons if you have to sand. Please use a respirator while handling the silica in it's dry state as it is toxic in the same way asbestos is. But once mixed in the epoxy it is safe.
    Where I am laying it in is just on the pad so it is completely flat. I have the silica already so that works perfect. Is there a certain thickness of the silica epoxy mixture that you should not exceed? I don't want to end up with a weak mixture with too much silica and not enough epoxy. I think a gallon of epoxy should be about enough to do the core, is that reasonable or am I dreaming? Check the pics for an estimate, the biaxial patch was 129" long by 18" wide and tappers down. Thanks for all the help guys its appreciated!
    11' glen-l TNT

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a chart in the Core-bond manual I think.

EDIT: Yes there is. Can't copy and paste as it is a pdf.
    Last edited by Riverman; 12-17-2007 at 08:02 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey Laker thanks for the brochure, pretty cool! Are you sure that I have the Nike, It has never had a windshield and it is rated up to 150hp instead of 100hp. I'm wondering if they didn't make it that year. Also the deck in back where the splash well is is a little different. The GW I have looks almost identical to the Rally, just stretched out. Even the white step pad on the deck is the same as my boat. None the less thanks for the awesome addition to my GW Invader info collection.

Not being an expert on the Invaders what I can tell you is I do know some were rated differently different years. I was once told by the owner of the yellow boat that back in the day mercury had a service Bulletin out on running that boat with an 150 inline six and that it ran fastest with a steep attack angle (Riding bow high) This is just hear say as I have never uncovered the bulletin. I only have the one brochure you now have so more in-depth comparisons cannot be done, however the closest thing by far with the info avaliable is the Nike.
    2006 Action Marine Comp
    1980 Ventrua 2

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
    There is a chart in the Core-bond manual I think.

EDIT: Yes there is. Can't copy and paste as it is a pdf.
    Thanks Riverman, I have a copy of the manual, i'll check it out.
    11' glen-l TNT

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found some solid mounts here: http://www.bobsmachine.com/. They are like $75.00 for the set. I'm just gonna have my brother turn me some on the lathe. I was going to switch away from epoxy because of price but i'm not sure yet, I really like the strength, by the way what did you use to thicken your epoxy? Also does the side with the mesh that hold the Balsa together face up or down towards the hull?
    I used silica to thicken it, I also used the extra slow hardner (make sure you use the right pump!!!) to increase the work time. I wet out the existing glass with epoxy using a roller (not puddle wet), then using a 1/4" notched trowel spead out the thickened expoxy. Since I needed to lay the balsa kerfts down I put the core kerfs up over a garbage can to open them up. I then wet out (roller) the entire sheet of balsa. Then lay it into the boat. Since I didn't have a vacuum system (best) I used water bags ontop of the balsa to hold everyting in place until it cured. My thought was the bags would distribute over the entire area.

I made some flat sheets using the same method on the garage floor on top of a sheet of plastic (floor, bulkeads etc), I didn't find any voids although I am sure this method is heavier than using a vacuum system.

I like working with epoxy. My garage is attached to the house so my wife likes it much better than poly too

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_velocity View Post
    I like working with epoxy. My garage is attached to the house so my wife likes it much better than poly too
    BIG benefit. I use it at work for the same reason, plus I don't pay for it at work.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast