Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cowl fitting for rigging hose on '89 V6 Merc

I picked up this cowl fitting yesterday from my local dealer. It doesn't fit my pan/cowl. I have a 1989 2.0 liter 150 Merc. Application info is kind of vague and the only other one listed on MercPartsEx has the same description. (see below) Does anyone have a part#/link to the correct piece? Actually piece(s). I am looking for a fitting for both sides of the engine and I don't see a listing for anything on the port side. I know this question has been gone over many times, but I've searched many threads here and have not seen the answer to the older cowls like mine.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=10 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
    Cowl Fitting
    <TABLE align=center><TBODY><TR><TD>Used on engine end of rigging hose.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE align=center><TBODY><TR><TD>Fits various Mercury / Mariner V-6 outboards. Furnished standard with the engines beginning with model year 2,000. See application chart for specific engine models.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><FORM method=post><INPUT type=hidden value=174164200061227059275 name=CID><INPUT type=hidden value="875266A 2" name=sku><INPUT type=hidden value=add name=operation><INPUT type=hidden value=Accessories name=store><INPUT type=hidden name=compName><INPUT type=hidden name=compSKU> <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=625 border=0><TBODY><TR><TH align=left width=125> </TH><TH align=left width=50>Qty</TH><TH align=left width=110>Part #</TH><TH align=left width=300>Description</TH><TH align=left width=75>Price</TH></TR><TR><TD align=left colSpan=5></TD></TR><TR><TD><INPUT onmouseover="MM_swapImage('addToCart','','/PartsExpress/Images/SiteButtons/AddToCart_over.gif',1)" onmouseout=MM_swapImgRestore() type=image alt="Add to cart" src="http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com/PartsExpress/Images/SiteButtons/addToCart.gif" value="Add to cart" border=0 name=addToCart></TD><TD><INPUT maxLength=3 size=3 value=1 name=qty></TD><TD noWrap>875266A 2</TD><TD>Cowl Fitting</TD><TD>$14.97</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></FORM>
    Only other one listed that I can find and it doesn't look like it will fit...

Cowl Fitting
    <TABLE align=center><TBODY><TR><TD>Used on engine end of rigging hose.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE align=center><TBODY><TR><TD>Fits various Mercury / Mariner V-6 outboards. Furnished standard with the engines beginning with model year 2,000.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><FORM method=post><INPUT type=hidden value=174164200061227059275 name=CID><INPUT type=hidden value="54-859359A 2" name=sku><INPUT type=hidden value=add name=operation><INPUT type=hidden value=Accessories name=store><INPUT type=hidden name=compName><INPUT type=hidden name=compSKU> <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=625 border=0><TBODY><TR><TH align=left width=125> </TH><TH align=left width=50>Qty</TH><TH align=left width=110>Part #</TH><TH align=left width=300>Description</TH><TH align=left width=75>Price</TH></TR><TR><TD align=left colSpan=5></TD></TR><TR><TD><INPUT onmouseover="MM_swapImage('addToCart','','/PartsExpress/Images/SiteButtons/AddToCart_over.gif',1)" onmouseout=MM_swapImgRestore() type=image alt="Add to cart" src="http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com/PartsExpress/Images/SiteButtons/addToCart.gif" value="Add to cart" border=0 name=addToCart></TD><TD><INPUT maxLength=3 size=3 value=1 name=qty></TD><TD noWrap>54-859359A 2</TD><TD>Cowl Fitting

</TD><TD>$30.60</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></FORM>
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    My 'ole 2 liter.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come on guys.. 55 veiws and not a clue?? Have I stumped the audience????

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that part is for a 3.0L cowling.
    04 Bullet 20xf comp hull/Merc 280 offshore

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both parts, though visibly different share the exact same description.....

Fits various Mercury / Mariner V-6 outboards. Furnished standard with the engines beginning with model year 2,000.

It would seem my 89 150 doesn't fall under this gise. There are no other listings that I have found, either. Surely there'e got to be an answer here.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still haven't found a cowl fitting(s) for my motor. Anybody got the answer??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think...

if you physically drive to your local Merc outboard dealer & ask them to look in their accessories book, they could find you the correct one for your year cowling. I'm pretty sure there was one available for your 1989 200 cowl.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I tried that. I physically live four blocks from my Merc dealer and the one I showed in the first post is there "best guess". In the book, they are listed with the same description as noted above... "fits most V6 engines". I have had two Merc dealers tell me that Merc didn't make one for that era cowl. I just figured there had to be one available somwhere...aftermarket or otherwise.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it will fit the 1996 to 1999 2.5 motors. i dont know where that case configuration started.

Silverton section of Toms River, NJ/Stuart, Florida
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Cowl

If this is the cowl you have it is the same as mine. I also have not been able to find the right rigging grommet for it. I know they make em, I've seen em I just can't touch em.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cowel decal.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    same prob here! i will give you a suggestion tho! i put a 2"steel-braded line over the rigging and it looks pretty damn good... better than that black rigging tube. could post a pick if you want to see.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always open to different ideas.

Vnemous, that is not the cowl I have. I've just got an ole 2 liter fishin' motor.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    don't think they actually do them for these cowlings, only the newer optimax cowlings subsequantly used on the 2.5 l and 3.0l racing optimax and the verados (which they have also had several product updates over here in europe)

Most either cut the hoses close to the cowl or custom fit a fitting to the cowling such as a rex marine bezel.