Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Repairing small dents in inline 6 cowl wraps

Any hints on repairing the profile of the ridges if there are small dents in them,maybe a tool of some kind??Thanks in advance!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Possibly try glue pulling or drill some holes and use a slide hammer... Gonna be a pretty tough task. You could take it to a body shop and see what they can do. Black is tough color to mask dents too so even if they're repaired right they might still be visible. Maybe bondo the whole cowl, sand it smooth a paint it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never tried to repair any of my dented cowls, yet. I am thinking the best way is pushing from behind on a flat surface.
    I am sure Bondo will not stay because the things flex so much during removal and install.
    my 1250 super Bp has 1 dent in the back and it is a mint cowl, cept for that dent uv coarse.
    Jason
    Outboard Junkie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember, I work on brass musical instruments, not the same thing, but they have some things in common:

Sheet metal can be easily worked back into shape between two harder metal surfaces. The surfaces must be clean, smooth and polished to avoid imprinting the sheet metal. One surface could be a wide piece of heavy bar stock on the floor or mounted in the vise. The other part could be a handmade tool. If you're smoothing out ridges, the tool would be shaped like a blunt, over-radiused axe head, that can be rocked back and forth in the back side of the groove while the sheet metal is lying against the barstock, the pressure exerted between the two will squeeze the metal back into shape. The metal MUST be allowed to "float" or be supported by your free hand so that there is NO sideways pressure, the tool must be forced against where the three surfaces meet, or it will push it badly out of shape. This technique on trumpets with different tools, takes a LOT of practice.

I've never looked at a L6 wrap cowl closely, so I'm not sure if this technique would work, but it might be worth a try.
    '89 Hydrostream Vegas XT, '90 Merc 2.4 Bridgeport PCU EFI
    My YouTube videos________My Flickr photo gallery
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1706097519

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dent Wizard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pyro View Post
    Remember, I work on brass musical instruments, not the same thing, but they have some things in common:

Sheet metal can be easily worked back into shape between two harder metal surfaces. The surfaces must be clean, smooth and polished to avoid imprinting the sheet metal. One surface could be a wide piece of heavy bar stock on the floor or mounted in the vise. The other part could be a handmade tool. If you're smoothing out ridges, the tool would be shaped like a blunt, over-radiused axe head, that can be rocked back and forth in the back side of the groove while the sheet metal is lying against the barstock, the pressure exerted between the two will squeeze the metal back into shape. The metal MUST be allowed to "float" or be supported by your free hand so that there is NO sideways pressure, the tool must be forced against where the three surfaces meet, or it will push it badly out of shape. This technique on trumpets with different tools, takes a LOT of practice.

I've never looked at a L6 wrap cowl closely, so I'm not sure if this technique would work, but it might be worth a try.
    I've done just what Pyro said and if you take your time the dents will work out.