Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Merc 200 Water Pump Failure At High Speed?

I have a 1996 mercury 200 that may be burning pumps at speed. Motor is on a 1988 21' Seebold Eagle Vpad style boat , no jack plate. Motor seems to run out fine at high speed , approx. 65 - 70mph but when I came home yesterday and hooked the muffs up the tell tail seemed weak and there was more steam than normal coming out? Am I trimming the motor up too much causing the water pickup to be lost? The motor temp does not go over 180 at WOT 65mph+. If so , what can be done? Thanks , Jeff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could be a couple of things going on.Even though you have no jack plate how high is the motor mounted on the transom? Could it be high enough to cause water starvation at higer trim angles associated with the higher speed? Without looking at your rig just speculating.Also do you have the liner removed from the can? At the higher speeds,with the heat being higher,you could possibly be burning up the water pump impellar due to the heat on the housing from the exhaust.I know it may sound weird but I have a Bridgeport with the offshore can(water pump housing is exposed) and have never had a problem with the housing getting over heated and burning up the water pump impellar.Had several 2.4 200's that had the liner removed and never had any problems neither.But I had a 2.4 200 and also had a 2.0 150 that any real hard run time for extended periods and it would melt the housing and burn up the impellars on both. Checked the exhaust temps and both were fine. Never figured it out. Finally on the 2.4 200,I cut a big square hole in the can on both sides of the stripe and covered it with the Bob's offshore snout.Never happened again.Probably would have worked on the 150 as well.Don't know why this only happened on these two motors.Go figure!Any way if your liner is removed,could be one possibility.If this is the problem,you can buy the aluminum housings that will help prevent this or you can fabricate a cover out of stainless stell sheet metal that will go over the housing and protect it.It is agrivating but my brother was having the same problem and made himself a cover.It worked great.
    Hydro
    86 Hydrostream Vector
    2.4 Bridgeport Offshore Centerhorn EFI

2007 Regal 2860 express cruiser

1996 Rinker 260 Fiesta Vee

Kawasaki 750 ZXI jetski

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Water pressure gauge.
    As cavalier as this sounds it will do more and tell more than anything else. You can trouble shoot more and so can others.

It could also be your garden hose. One person suggested against this practice-using a garden hose since it doesn't supply enough.
    One variable in your whole picture could be others on your block lawn sprinkling- stealing your water. If this is true you should already know how this affects your water pressure. It affects mine.
    '90 STV
    '96 260
    under construction

for far too long

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Techno View Post
    Water pressure gauge.
    As cavalier as this sounds it will do more and tell more than anything else. You can trouble shoot more and so can others.

It could also be your garden hose. One person suggested against this practice-using a garden hose since it doesn't supply enough.
    One variable in your whole picture could be others on your block lawn sprinkling- stealing your water. If this is true you should already know how this affects your water pressure. It affects mine.
    As long as his water pressure is fine a garden hose will provide more than enough water.You can run a big block V8 in a boat off of a garden hose and it is efficient and they require a lot more than an outboard.
    Hydro
    86 Hydrostream Vector
    2.4 Bridgeport Offshore Centerhorn EFI

2007 Regal 2860 express cruiser

1996 Rinker 260 Fiesta Vee

Kawasaki 750 ZXI jetski

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info ! I dropped the lower unit today and the pump was fine. Checked the hoses and all was fine. I then took out the two thermostats or do you call them popit valves? Anyway, she pumped water fine so I guess I will need to replace these guys.

I have another question though . The engine is popping , hiccuping misfireing through the carbs , mainly the middle right side carb . It seems to spit fuel out when reved and will pop and spit through the exhaust. About a week ago when I started to notice this problem I used some Valve Tech cleaner and removed and put back in (I counted the turns) the needle valves on each carb. Now , it seemed to reduce the consistancy (which was dadadada pop dadadada pop) and now it will pop every 10 seconds or so maybe more maybe less , very eratic. When on the water it will also stall in idle sometimes but never when under load , starts right back up. The motor runs perfect at all moveing speeds and seems to have great power and is responsive. Engine temp is always within proper range and does not go over 180 @ WOT 5600-5700 RPM. So , I guess what I'm saying is that the motor perfoms as well as it did 3 years ago when I got it but this new engine condition worries me. Compression is 120. Thanks for any info ! Boats : Bust Out Another Thousand!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info ! I dropped the lower unit today and the pump was fine. Checked the hoses and all was fine. I then took out the two thermostats or do you call them popit valves? Anyway, she pumped water fine so I guess I will need to replace these guys.

I have another question though . The engine is popping , hiccuping misfireing through the carbs , mainly the middle right side carb . It seems to spit fuel out when reved and will pop and spit through the exhaust. About a week ago when I started to notice this problem I used some Valve Tech cleaner and removed and put back in (I counted the turns) the needle valves on each carb. Now , it seemed to reduce the consistancy (which was dadadada pop dadadada pop) and now it will pop every 10 seconds or so maybe more maybe less , very eratic. When on the water it will also stall in idle sometimes but never when under load , starts right back up. The motor runs perfect at all moveing speeds and seems to have great power and is responsive. Engine temp is always within proper range and does not go over 180 @ WOT 5600-5700 RPM. So , I guess what I'm saying is that the motor perfoms as well as it did 3 years ago when I got it but this new engine condition worries me. Compression is 120. Thanks for any info ! Boats : Bust Out Another Thousand!!