Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hustlers

Go to some vintage photos in this forum for some Hustler photos tunnel and vees.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Add: In college a friend and I bought what was called a 16' and a brand new Merc 125. We proceeded to do some minor Mods but found a Super SpeedMaster bullet(twin drive shaft) that we could mount on. Later upgraded toa stock 150. Lots of fun running around the Chesapeake at 75mph. Hull needed a Pad in the worse way but we moved onto Allison's for that reason. Hopefully some of these old photos will post. Pacman
    Last edited by pacman809; 05-17-2012 at 12:27 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Top pics are Jim Umbarger Sr. in a 15 Tunnel, and my Dad in his 15 Vee with a B.P.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Dad in his 15 Hustler with 1250 Stacker at the start...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next pics are after the start, reeling in Kenny Stevenson, and then way out in front. Pics are reversed. Bottom pic is at Ford lake in Ypsilanti, Mich the day that both my Dad and Kenny blew over simultaneously...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my dad looked at the pics and wanted to know if your 15' hustler v-bottom was a comp there were only 8 ' comps made and my dad knew 1 went to ohio your dads might be the 1 my dad still has his

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my dads Hustler Wildcat. This picture was taken in the mid 80's. He sold the boat to my cousin in 1988 I think it was. It was a late 60's factory comp boat. Had the center steer and all. My dad put 2 seats in it though so when you were driving you sat offset to the steering wheel a bit but he said it was easy to drive. He did that cause my mom complained there was only 1 seat in the boat and she didnt like sitting on the floor. HaHa

It had a late 60's 850 on it and it ran like a champ until my cousin sold in in the early 90s and that when we lost track of it. I really miss that boat. I grew up riding around in that thing with my dad. I was 14 or 15 when he sold it.

Oh yeah, That old Larson was my grandpas and as luck would have it, About 5 years ago I found out its sitting about a mile from my moms house.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled-1.jpg  
    -Kevin
    Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project CobraJet
    1977 Hydrostream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project.
    1982 Hydrostream Vector
    1982 Hydrostream Vamp
    1973 Hydrostream Vixen
    1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
    199? Glastron - aka Boat Anchor
    1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Giesler View Post
    my dad looked at the pics and wanted to know if your 15' hustler v-bottom was a comp there were only 8 ' comps made and my dad knew 1 went to ohio your dads might be the 1 my dad still has his
    Yes Mike it was a comp. The 1250 B.P. on that boat ran good, then he put the stacker kit on it, and ran awesome. That same motor is what he put on the Hustler tunnel. It was just the Vee Bottom tunneled out. Made for a fast but scary ride... Lots of lift and compression in that hull. His was a pretty boat Black/ Gold metalflake...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x 010.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	257900Here is a 1974 15footer that i still own, has dual quad small block Chevy and Berkley pump. I know who owned it in the late 70s till the time that i bought it in the mid 80s.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didnt think hustler ever made a jet boat or one with a windshield like that. That doesnt look like a Hustler Wildcat at all unless someone custom build it that way later on.

http://www.hustlersport.com/Page%20hustler%20boats.htm

Cool looking boat for sure though.
    -Kevin
    Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project CobraJet
    1977 Hydrostream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project.
    1982 Hydrostream Vector
    1982 Hydrostream Vamp
    1973 Hydrostream Vixen
    1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
    199? Glastron - aka Boat Anchor
    1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

15' 73 Hustler wildcat tunnel

Hey, this is my first post to this forum. Three weeks ago I purchased a 1973 Hustler Wildcat tunnel boat. I had my eye on this boat sitting outside, uncovered near my home for the past two years. Just finishing a restoration of a 1973 Checkmate MX-16 I made the guy an offer and purchased it for $300. I won't be starting the restoration for a while, (honey do list) but I'm doing as much research as I can. I had a conversation with Jim Umbarger Jr. this week. At 80 years old he still has a lot of passion for these boats. He told me that what I have is called a family model. The deck was raised about 4" higher that the race model. Being a tunnel it is very rare. The steel truss for the transom is not original. I'm planning a restoration with modifications for strength and aesthetics. This boat is so lightly constructed you can see sunlight through the bow. Anyone with any first hand knowledge of these boats, please chime in. Thanks, Here are a couple of pics and one of my MX-16.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5627.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	437.9 KB 
ID:	286564Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5633.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	418.2 KB 
ID:	286563Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5622.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	431.2 KB 
ID:	286562Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5625.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	428.8 KB 
ID:	286561Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5610.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	412.9 KB 
ID:	286565

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Redstrat, Did you ever finish restoring the Hustler tunnel? Would love to see pics of it now. I'm Jim's oldest son and am also part of the family business. I'm actually in the process of restoring a 16' Victor so I know how long the process can take. Did the boat come with the full length seat? When I get done with the glass part of my project I'll be looking for seats. Don't know what happened to all the seat molds we had but I'll figure out something. Post pics if you have any of your progress....Dan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still waiting for attention

Quote Originally Posted by DanUmbarger View Post
    Hi Redstrat, Did you ever finish restoring the Hustler tunnel? Would love to see pics of it now. I'm Jim's oldest son and am also part of the family business. I'm actually in the process of restoring a 16' Victor so I know how long the process can take. Did the boat come with the full length seat? When I get done with the glass part of my project I'll be looking for seats. Don't know what happened to all the seat molds we had but I'll figure out something. Post pics if you have any of your progress....Dan
    Dan, My Hustler sits behind my barn fully covered awaiting my attention. I am a full time public school teacher and run a small auto and marine trim business on the side. I am six years from retiring and the Hustler will be on the top of my bucket list. I do have the double wide seat that came with the boat. I would be glad to send pictures, it would be easy to reproduce. If you are documenting your restoration and have posted it here, please point me in the direction. I would love to follow along. I called your shop a few years back and had a great conversation with your father. Best of luck and please stay in touch. Mark

14. Likes Hippie459MN liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mark, I understand your situation....the real reason I'm tackling my boat is I have the expertise because I actually did the glassing in the years before we quit building. Also my dad is 83 and I would like to get him back in a Victor since it was the first model he designed and built and that is the model he raced in the early 60's and was the national high points champion in '67, also being voted into the Gulf Hall of Fame. Lots of incentives to get it done. I wish you were closer to me because I would have asked to borrow the seat to splash a quick mold but shipping would make it too expensive. I'll figure out something. I will post my restoration within a couple of days...at least make it up to date to this point....probably under something like " Restoration of a Hustler 16' Victor" or something like that....I'll let you know. Dan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 356 boat is in Rockford Illinois was found at a estate auction a couple of years ago my dad still has his 1971 15' competition v bottom wildcat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FB_IMG_1474571502842.jpg  

17. Likes Hippie459MN liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast