User Tag List

Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1962... The first black Mercury outboard engine was the '62 Merc 1000. The worlds first production 100 horse power outboard. But, there is a very interesting reason why it was painted black. Carl Kiekhaefer's chief engineer and right hand man was Charlie Strang. Strang had a brilliant mind and was a graduate of MIT. Many, many of Mr K's inventions, inovations and patents were Strang's ideas, but Mr K took all the credit. Mr Strang was single and was very close to his mother. She would even come looking for him at the plant if he was too late getting off work.
    With the new styling of the Merc 1000 it looked mighty big when they painted it white. Strang and Mr K were at the factory late one night trying to decide what to do about the obvious size of the engine. Well, in came Mrs Strang looking for Charlie, so they told her of their delima. Mrs Strang said, "Well, when a lady wants to appear a few sizes smaller, she wears a black dress". The next day they showed Mr K the new Phantom Black Merc 1000, and the rest is history. A side note though, the 1000 was the only black engine in the '62 line up. The rest were white.

For the complete story read "The Iron Fist"

Any corrections to this story are welcome.

Last edited by warrior74z; 08-31-2007 at 02:39 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up history

warrior, VERY cool posts and pics. i grew up in this era in miami. if you lived on the water, you generally had a boat before you had a car-or driver's license. i lived not too far south of t-bird factory, i remember when t-bird and formula were 2 separate companies. one of my neighbors had an 18" t-bird tri hull with a 75 hp (?) evinrude they "raced" in the goldcoast marathon a few years. there was a class for everybody in that race. wings, sk's, ib hydros, service runabouts, and all sorts of family/pleasure boats sharing the course at once. made for some interesting starts. used to line them up across the bay, and turn them loose, 'shotgun style' . fun to watch the race to the first bridge,about 3 miles away . about flipper- ivan tors studios was about 10 or 12 blocks north of my house. we would ride our bicycles up there, through the gate, and watch filming, or just "check it out". no issues, no problems. as long as we behaved, we were welcome. used to go to donzi and magnum, except by boat. same deal. can you imagine any company letting kids just check it out/hang out-today ? a wonderful time to grow up, and many thanks for bringing some of it back to life !
    AIRWALK
    gettin' old ain't for sissies

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Were the results posted in #80 the actual final results from the 73 Nationals? I ran in both SG and SE at that event and I recall one of those named getting caught with a seriously under weight boat with a very creative water ballast tank hidden under the seat. The driver, who shall remain nameless. in question was not Doug Perl.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

thanks agaain for sharing this treasure chest with us Warrior; Great thread!!!!!

96' STV Euro

Smarta$$ of the
    Sunshine Syndicate,

How to upload pics (click here)

Quote Originally Posted by jphii View Post
    Well then, give her a $50 bottle of booze and don't let her know about the hookers, or what you spend on them
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadAction View Post
    oh no. i just realized I am the voice of reason on a thread. i am so done, RIP 1Bad.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2us70 View Post
    Were the results posted in #80 the actual final results from the 73 Nationals? I ran in both SG and SE at that event and I recall one of those named getting caught with a seriously under weight boat with a very creative water ballast tank hidden under the seat. The driver, who shall remain nameless. in question was not Doug Perl.
    I interpret it to show several records set during the course of the race, and where it is listed OPC National Champions '73, to be the champions for the 1973 season. Not sure though. I was not there. Anyone else care to offer help?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1961...The Mercury zone sales manager
    would come by each year before the new models came out to project sales for the coming year. This projection chart shows that Dad ordered 26 engines for the 1960 season, his first in the boat business. Projected sales for 1961 is 46 units. This is the first year for the new black Merc 100 horsepower, and feelings must have been good, as Dad ordered eleven long shaft and two short shaft engines. It shows the first one arriving in September 61 and I had just entered the second grade in school, so I don't remember the event, but as I witnessed in the later years, I'll bet it sure was exciting to pull that box off the shiney black monster.

Last edited by warrior74z; 08-10-2007 at 09:51 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    October 1961 A new Hydrodyne with a '61 Merc 850 sits in front of the store. Some Hydrodynes had a step bottom and bench seat with coil or some sort of spings and shock absorbers. Cool for '61.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember that 100 Merc that arrived in September? Well, here it is! Its October and its rigged on the Dyne. I do remember this boat, it was Dad's demo for a couple of years. I guess Mrs Strang was right, black sure looks good. This photo was taken at our house, and I can tell by the dew on the windshield, that it was early morning. Come on Dad, lets go to the lake!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1965 And Billy Seebold is still running B runabout. I'm sure some of you will recognize some of the other names.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    De Silva sure had some cool boats. There is a twin engine hydro shown. Anyone ever remember it running? Think thats a 55H with the streamline cowling?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where do you think Hi Performance boating would be today without this Man?

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Bill Holland's motor with the streamline cowling is a McCulloch 630 racing motor.

The twin engine hydro was also run using McCulloch racing motors. The driver was probably Jack Oxley. I've never heard anything about it running, so I'd guess it was a flop. There are some pictures of it from Science and Mechanics Magazine. I'll post later today

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    17 foot dual cockpit hydro from Science and Mechanics. There were no side views of the boat in the article, only these 2 back views.

The motors were set fixed straight ahead and it was steered by a rudder (you can see part of the bracket just in front of his nose). Kies is holding a prop; in the article it says they were thinking props and gear ratio were the keys to speed. Kies is holding a prop by Warren Litton with more area than the one on the motor. These motors had interchangeable gear ratios from 2:1 to 1:2 in approx 10% increments. I just bought one with 25% gears, as it is it is set for 25% overdrive; I will be changing it to run 25% reduction.Back views of the 17 foot dual cockpit hydro
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kies.p3.SM.5-63.jpg   KiesP66.r.jpg  
    Last edited by Mark75H; 08-11-2007 at 09:24 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1974...I always thought the '74 and '75 Merc 1500's were the best looking and best running of the consumer in-lines. (Except of course the XS) In a couple of years the 1750 V6 would over shadow it and by 1978 it would be a 1400. No longer the king of the outboards. Also thought this brochure was the best, because, of course, it had a tunnel on it. OK guys, is that a Moly? Who's the pilot?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tunnel boat is a McCall but I can't make out the driver but it kind of looks like Olegator to me

Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast