User Tag List

Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rock View Post
    Thanks for the history Barron. Must of been cool growing up with the company. Noticed those first few pics that stated top speed also gave the tilt pin location. One add showed a Larson with the 80. I had one of those to start my boating resume with. I know they ran both directions but didn't they have a starter for each direction? Thanks for sharing the pictures. Enjoyed them alot. Here's one for you that's not as old but I thought you might enjoy it.
    Rock
    Thanks for the compliments Rock. The direct reverse Merc engines ran clockwise and counterclockwise, but had only one starter. It had a double bendix, one above and one below the flywheel. The engine had two solenoids and depending on which position the throttle lever was in when the starter switch was pressed, the correct solenoid was activated to spin the starter the desired direction and the cooresponding bendix spun up or down to engage the flywheel.

I like the shirt. Do you remember which race you purchased it at?

To clarify, I worked at the family Mercury dealership, but not The Mercury company.

Barron
    Last edited by warrior74z; 08-07-2007 at 09:36 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I knew there were 2 of something. I won't discuss how many years ago that was. I also knew you worked at a dealership but you still came up with the company. Awesome opportunity to see the developments over the years. I could be wrong, again, alot of years, but I think I bought the shirt at the Pekin race. We are trying to get that race back on the map. It's been many years since the last one. I'll bet I have had that shirt since 1979 or so and I could have gotten it any number of places. It don't fit quite as well as it used to. Good to know you are doing well and thanks again for the pictures.
    Rock
    Team Junk

No sparkling wiggles in here, only dump truck grinches.

"Screamin Heathen"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by warrior74z View Post
    I had a 1965, I think, Glastron, maybe a model 154, with the Mercruiser/Renalt 60 hp. You had to prime a little lever on the fuel pump the get it to start, first run of the day. I was about 14 and it was a beautiful red and white v hull closed bow. It was kinda pointed in the rear that the engine cover actually stuck out over the outdrive some. Real neat ride, when you're 14! Later Mercuriser had an 80 hp version with a little better O/D.
    Found this information on the Glastron. It was a Futura V164, not a 154. I'm almost certain mine was a year earlier though, because the 1965 doesn't show the 60 hp engine as an option, and I am 100% sure that mine had the 60. Also it was solid red and white, not metalflake. Also remember that there was no power trim, or tilt. There was a crank handle about three feet long, that you inserted into the inner transom bracket and wound the drive up or down.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is probably the most interesting and important item, in my opinion, that came out of our files.
    First let me explain that to understand the importance of some of these papers require that you either:
    A. Worked for Kiekhaefer Mercury in the 60's or before.
    B. Read "The Iron Fist"

To read how Mr Kiekhaefer started in the outboard business by accident, in 1939, to being one of the largest and most sucessful outboard businesses by 1960 is an amazing read. The title says it all. A company could not be sucessful today the way they were operated in the 50's and 60's. Mr K controlled everything. One of his tactics was to hire you and pay you twice what you were making in your last job, then make you earn it.
    Anyway this company was his baby and he wrestled with the decision to sell for years and had even walked out at the closing of the sale before with many lawyers and executives present. But when he finally sold Mercury, this was the actual news release sent to us.

Last edited by warrior74z; 08-31-2007 at 02:59 PM.

5. Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Racing News...October 1973

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of names we use around here.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Old Merc stuff

Awesome thread,thank you for sharing that stuff..........Rob
    1986 Eliminator Scorpion--MERC/JSRE 260 SS
    2006 Stingray 200lx 5.0 Mercruiser
    1969 14' Alumacraft, Assorted vintage outboards

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Info on Commando U2 boat.

This is a Commando U2 , as the BHB description says. A 2 seat, 3 point hydroplane. They were built from 1958-61. I own a 1961 U2. There are around 15 that have been found.
    For more info on this really cool boat, go to Google, and put in "Commando U2."
    I've looked at this photo since I was a kid and thought it was the coolest looking boat. And the driver just says 1960. Has anyone seen one of these boats recently? Any history about these boats? Anyone know the driver or just a model? Boat looks like it has about 303 pounds of metal trim hanging on it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Merc dealer meeting 1978 or 79. How about a two hole Seebold? I did not go to this meeting, somewhere near Atlanta, probably Lake Lanier Islands. Dad told me they gave rides to the dealers, and ran a simulated lap, and came straight in toward the dock around 100 MPH and just when you thought it was too late and a collision was inevitable, a g-induced left turn saved the day! Fun fun fun.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Willabee, here is the boat you mentioned that was at the 1967 meeting. You can clearly see the glass bubbles over the engines, which I had never noticed until you pointed it out. Thanks Willabee

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought this was a cool ad. I like the automotive type showroom,
    searchlights in the sky and the people milling around and the big finned car and oh yeah, the white tower of power, dock buster edition.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool photos and a great read..............................

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1979 Dealer meeting. Old Merc display. Steve and Mike, do you think this is part of the Lake X collection, which is now in Fondulac? Or is it from a private collector?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old Engines

Warrior: I was not in the Exhibits dept. but I'm sure the engines are from the Lake. We probably pulled them from the there and then sent them back after the meeting. We put the KG9 on display at Racing a few years after this photo.

I was at that Dealer Meeting inthe Pioneer which is now gone.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

white

Flat bottom Allison with Mercruiser four banger. Bet your neighbor doesn't have one of these. How many of you remember white MCR outdrives?

i water skied behind a few. we had a 140 in a 23' V-King for a long time. finally went black with a 160, bought and installed at skyway marine.
    AIRWALK
    gettin' old ain't for sissies

Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast