User Tag List

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks powercat, Thats the Raveau,,,,,,, pretty snappy for late 50's,,,,,,,,,,, With regards to post#49 Remember the day Dad wrote that release, as I was living in FdL at the time,,,,,,,,,,, He was torn up as he felt he was betraying his friend and co-worker, remember ECK actually understanding and helping him through it, While being Zone Sales Mgr. for Merc working out of Memphis,,,,, Remember receiving release from Brunswick announcing Jack Reichert as new vice-president of Marketing for Mercury, this was just a short time later,,,,,,, Of course I called my Father to get his thoughts on this,,,,,,,,,, and he was unaware that they had even released the announcement,,,,,,,,,, Left Merc in late "70's as their was distinction from incoming regime and "Carls Boys" Big Companies havent worked for one since,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Excellent thread - I pinned it so it's easier to find for everyone

Facebook | YouTube | Vintage Outboard Catalogs
    Photo prints available of your boat - click here

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barron and Jim - Greg said "Excellent Thread"...I say "OUTSTANDING THREAD" - Steve

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    October 1963...Dealer Meeting, Dad with Don Graves and 1964 Merc. I remember how exciting it was to see the new lineup every year. I always had to stay at the shop while Dad went to the Dealer meetings, but a few weeks after he came back, a delivery truck would pull up to the front of the shop and my uncle , brother and usually a part time guy and I would go out to unload about five or so engines. Back then the boxes stood upright with the engine positioned like it would be on a boat. No forklift or loading dock here, just muscled that big six off the truck. Then my brother would lean the box over so I could reach underneath and pull the box flaps out. Then Dad and whoever was hanging around would wait in anticipation as we lifted the outer box up and off to reveal the gleaming phantom black beauty with an all new decal theme. We would marvel at it for awhile, then uncowl it and start looking for changes on the powerhead from the previous year model. It was a contest between us to see who could spot the changes first...ahhh, the good old days...
    Last edited by warrior74z; 08-06-2007 at 09:49 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another view of Mercury Outboard Sales and Service. 1960...This was a few years before Lake Hartwell was filled and the only boating in Anderson was relatively small Broadway Lake. I remember when we had rigged the bigger Larson, the one on sawhorses, and pulled it straight through downtown on the way to the lake. It might as well been a moon rocketship, the way people stopped in their tracks to turn and look at this red and white beauty with the tall white 80 horsepower in line six Merc. This was the biggest boat ever seen around at that time. I was in the back of the shop truck (yes we rode in the back and lived to tell about it) and can see the faces of the people to this day...and it was only eighteen feet long...We did put a trailer under it though...

Last edited by warrior74z; 08-06-2007 at 11:16 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    January 1968...Dad looking over a new Thunderbird. T-Bird came out with the "Cathedral Hull" few years earlier, and is what became commonly known as the tri hull. Notice the area in front of the windshield was not seating but just a recessed area to walk or sit. Three years later and about every manufactuer around had a tri-hull walk through with seating in the front. I never did like tri hulls. Too much like a station wagon (some young readers might not know what that is). I liked a closed bow v hull then and I still do today. Notice the T-Bird a few boats over, with the top set up is a little more blunt nose. Probably a 1966. I said it before, tough old boat. Thunderbird had an ad campaign around this time that showed a T Bird being dropped 220 feet from a helicopter into the ocean. Then they took it to the shop rigged it and drove away. How did they come up with 220 feet? Because the one they dropped from 230 didn't make it...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    September 1979...Three Hundred horsepower outboard...What in the world do they need a three hundred horsepower outboard for? Actor Jerry Reed did some ads for Merc I believe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok

Where's the picture of a Caravelle (?) with the sliding hardtop for the kids to see you had to have a "square" Dad if he bought one of those But it was still a boat
    "Where is Lee Harvey Oswald, Now that we really need him?"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BUSHWACKER View Post
    Where's the picture of a Caravelle (?) with the sliding hardtop for the kids to see you had to have a "square" Dad if he bought one of those But it was still a boat
    The Aristo Craft had a sliding hardtop, out of Atlant GA. Son still builds the woody Aristo Crafts just like the old days.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brand new rig. Just add water...$1099. Wonder why people looked so little in the old ads...put three Big Mac modern super sized today's people in a little 14' and they would look Paul Bunyons.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seeroy View Post
    Barron and Jim - Greg said "Excellent Thread"...I say "OUTSTANDING THREAD" - Steve
    Thanks Steve.
    You old factory guys need to throw some comments in here and there, ya know?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto on the thanks, Glad anybody remembers all that old stuff,,,,,,,,,,, Couple of random thoughts,,, Frank Mundy, Upon retiring from Mercury still kickin,,,,,,, Frank went on to work for Roger Penske with regards to the Indy 500 projects,,,,,,, Good to see photo of Don Graves very polished salesmen loved to ride his bycycle all over FdL,,,,,, Also with Charlie Alexander in a previous photo,to the far left is John Hull who went on to become product manager for the ill-fated snowmobile project,,,,,,,, Barron in a thread you had asked of Ham Hamberger,now retired living in Palm Springs, One of his best friends lives here in Tequesta with me,,,,,,,,,,,, John Korb who explains that his wife talks about how much he likes retirment and loves to take his svelte 300 lb body into the pool to talk to the girls,,,,,, Random Info

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A DIFFERENT SLANT ON E.C. KIEKHAEFER As we approach Mercury"s 70th year (since 1939) We all have written and read many stories and books with regards to Mr.K, most of which were true but always entertaining, He was Truly the epitome of a Type A personality,,,,,,,,,,, But I shall never forget this,,,,, Way back to the year 1955 Days of wide ties, 2-tone shoes aviator wide sunglasses, and double martini lunches, After the wars, and the economy and Mercury was starting to rock, Anyway I was the ripe old age of 8,,,,,,,, Had a older brother who was born deaf,,,,,, while attending special school for the deaf in Milwaukee, Unfortunately at age 13 suffered a cerebral hemmorrage,and passed away in his sleep,,,,,,,,, This happened in November of '55 As we all can imagine losing a son or daughter is very devastating,,,,,,,, Really tore up my Father, Winter comes early in the mid-west and on the day of his funeral The state was engulffed in abitter cold,powerful snow storm, While we were in the church for final services We realized the weather was getting worse and really only family members would dare venture out on such a day,,,,, After Final prayers we all turned to exit ,,,, and in the back of the church,,bundled up like Eskimos standing tall were Charlie Strang and Carl Kiekhaefer , Will never forget Charlie walking up to my Dad and unable to say anything,but looking at him and saying "tough",from their Carl taking the time to talk to my siblings and myself to assure us everthing will be good,,,,,,,,,, Upon walking outside from the church, I will never forget seeing the biggest snow-plow in my life,,,,,,,,, It seems these characters had somehow rented the biggest plow they could find to safely traverse the 40 miles to Hartford Wis. to attend the service and support their co-worker,,,,, Only recognizing them as friends of my Father I asked my Mother who they were,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Simply she put,,,, They are men............. RIP Carl Hope we did you proud,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

14. Likes Lake X Kid, 99fxst99 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by warrior74z View Post
    Is this a Mercury dealer meeting or T Bird. Looks like a lot of those 1967 Mercuriser jackets present.

That sure looks like the dealer meeting in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.....1967 would be right. The large building on the right would be the Pioneer Lodge, that's where the guys stayed. It was pretty new back then, was built at the mouth of the river on Lake Winnebago.

The guys in the photo are facing the lake and if you followed that walkway they are on to their left, you came to it's end and a left turn down the river. All of the new model demonstrator boats were staged there, out of sight. When signaled, one by one they came out of the river, made a right turn onto the lake.....went past all of the people lined up where you see them in the photo and then made a complete turn to come back to the seawall. The show started with the smallest outboard and continued through the largest sterndrive. After all of the boats had made their run and were tied to the seawall, the dealers were allowed to take whatever boat(s) that caught their interest for a ride. The Merc employee that had driven the boat in the show had to stay in their boat during these rides.

I found out that the boat you wanted to be driving for this event was one of the small engine fishing outboards because not many people wanted to take them for a spin. They all wanted to drive the faster, big engine stuff and some of those guys might have been hot salesmen, but they sure weren't hot drivers.....some were downright scary! There was another of the boat pictured that didn't have the big cabin and was powered by six inline 6 clyinder Mercrusiers, all under glass bubbles.....it was very neat .

Very interesting stuff you've put together here (brought back some buried memories ).....thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by willabee; 08-07-2007 at 03:56 PM.

16. Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the history Barron. Must of been cool growing up with the company. Noticed those first few pics that stated top speed also gave the tilt pin location. One add showed a Larson with the 80. I had one of those to start my boating resume with. I know they ran both directions but didn't they have a starter for each direction? Thanks for sharing the pictures. Enjoyed them alot. Here's one for you that's not as old but I thought you might enjoy it.
    Rock
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-001F.jpg  
    Team Junk

No sparkling wiggles in here, only dump truck grinches.

"Screamin Heathen"

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast