User Tag List

Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow

A 1969 Sea-Doo?!?

Talk about being ahead of your time...

Prior to seeing your post above, I would have thought sit-down "jet skis" were "invented" in the late 1980's.

Very interesting info here, Thanks!
    Last edited by msm; 08-19-2007 at 12:43 PM.
    Any fool can make something complicated - it takes a genius to make it simple.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1960...Ya gotta love those fins...boat motor and trailer for $999...pair of skis, ski belt and ski rope for $18.99.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1983...From the Land and Sea Performance Center catalog. I always found this page interesting. I think Land & Sea's dyno numbers would put Merc and OMC on a level playing field. So, without the factory influence, I trust these numbers to be at least fair. Some interesting figures here. Also on another thread there is much debate about the output of the OMC racing V8. Here it comes in at 385 for the 1983-84 version. I don't pay much attention to the modified numbers, as they are L & S's work that they are trying to sell, but the stock numbers are fun to look at. The notes are various modifications by L&S. It is also noted that the asterick explains that all readings were taken at the crankshaft with open exhaust, thereby decreasing the advantage of the factory race engines' open exhaust as all engines were tested the same, stating that through the lower unit exhaust takes away 15 to 25 horsepower.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another interesting page from the 1982-83 Land & Sea catalog. At the bottom of this page is a list of some pretty interesting boat motor combinations and the speeds with and without nitrous. Look and enjoy...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1961..Crosby...The Golden Fleet...I guess they were called that, because, every one that I remember was a two tone gold and tan combination. Had a 15' Crosby with Merc 45 when I was thirteen. The first boat that was "mine for the summer" that had a steering wheel. Crosby was thought of as a luxury brand in the early '60's. Would be considered bare bones by todays standards. I remember tooling up the lake one afternoon and my brother was testing a boat from the shop. I was following him in formation whe he made a 180 degree turn in a rather narrow part of the lake. Of course I was going to do just like big brother and when I whipped the Crosby around I realized it did not turn as sharp as his boat and before I could say "rookie" I was on the shore. Brother came back and tied his boat to it and pulled me off...Dad never knew about that one either. Before I forget about it another one of my "deals". My friend had built one of those ten foot hydroplanes that you used to see in Popular Mechanics magazine. He had a twenty Merc on it, this was about 1969 or '70 and I had just started driving cars. So one day after the boat store closed, we went in and got a used thirty or thirty five horse Merc. Might have been a Mark 55, 40 Hp. Anyway, we rigged that thing on his hydro and I was going to give it the first test. I started from his boathouse and nailed it wide open, and it went about two hundred yards and started darting left and right and before I knew it, the occilations escaladed to the extent that the engine left the scene and went to davy jones locker...thats ANOTHER ONE that Dad didn't find out about..out of a 1000 mile shoreline lake, that engine is still out there only 1/2 mile from where I live now...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1966...September...Jekyl Island, Georgia. Larson dealer meeting. Well I had to get Mom in here somewhere. Dad took all four of us on this trip. Larson had been good for us for six years now, and the new styling was very nice. I remember it was the first time I saw a snowmobile. I don't remember what brand it was, but they were running it on the beach. At the awards banquet, Dad went up to accept an award for the most Larson sales in South Carolina. It was my first taste of how you get "wined and dined" at these dealer meetings and how much fun it was...

Last edited by warrior74z; 08-22-2007 at 10:00 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1958...One year before Dad would open a Mercury dealership. I'm the one in the front with Dad, left hand drive you know, dock buster. A dock buster is Mercury direct reverse engine. There is no neutral. So to dock it, you approached in forward gear, and when close to the dock, you shifted out of forward, which cut the engine off. You then shifted into reverse, while coasting, and hit the starter switch, which was on the shifter handle for easy access. If the engine was in proper tune (points wear out) it started in reverse and you slowed to a stop beside the dock. If it did not start...well...dock buster...This boat was called a Loy Craft boat. It was moulded plywood and was shipped hull only. No transom, interior, or deck at all. They were stacked like paper cups in a stack. Then local craftsman? finished the boats with deck, transom ect. I believe he bought the Mark 75 from the Western Auto dealer.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While living on Lake Winnebago in FdL in the mid 50's went through the same issues that you did ironically,I believe it was also with a Crosby boat through the 60's while at the Oshkosh boat house,,,,,,,,,The majority of their test boats were the old Crosbys,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,All set up with quik disconnects as you coluld change and test engines rapidly,,,,,,,,,,,,, During lunch hour their all the guys would roll out this huge table top throw it on a 55 gallon drum of oil,,,,,,and play Sheep Head (Wis. Card Game) for lunch,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hey Seeroy remember trying to teach Bill the fine points of that looney card game

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Sheephead.....

Quote Originally Posted by gofish7070 View Post
    ,,,,,,,,,,,, During lunch hour their all the guys would roll out this huge table top throw it on a 55 gallon drum of oil,,,,,,and play Sheep Head (Wis. Card Game) for lunch,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    I wasn't in the boathouse, I was in the "blueroom" at that time, but sometimes I'd wander over there and play with those guys.....Kubasta, Welton, Warhurst, Felix, Frank? (a crabby older guy that took care of the fuel on the endurance docks), Don Hillman? (nice guy, big man, played on our Twister softball team), Shrimp Loyd.....they were some of the regulars on that table. I remember that when I first got into the game, those boys got upset if you didn't play at their pace and if you made a dumb move.....WOW, it was like they wanted to take your first born!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim - I never played "Sheephead", but we did play alot of Cribbage at the Lake. There was a time when we spent lots of "company" time making custom cribbage boards. I remember that Mike Ramsey made the most eloquent one out of plexiglass. There were times when we "worked hard", and other times when we "hardly worked". -Steve

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mid 70's...Can you find the Wing? In the mid 70's we had just moved into our new facility, and we were mighty proud of it. During the summer, I would order these movies from Mercury. You just returned them after watching them. No charge. I would set up chairs in the showroom, and eight or ten guys would show up and we would watch offshore or whatever film I had ordered that week. We had a 16mm projector, like the kind you had in high school in the 60's and 70's. Lots of fun. Before VHS tapes or DVD's, so it was a real treat to see boat racing on the screen. Not as convenient as today. And you know, that just made it a little more special...

fficeffice" /><O></O>

12. Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Early Glastron. This is before we became a Glastron dealer. They got a lot cooler looking by '64. A Mark 78A "Dock Buster" would have been a better engine choice, don't ya think?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if ya notice the speed didnt drop much between loads..... tells ya that more HP wouldnt really made any difference on it..... the merc 400's were a sleeper to begin with.... but the test is very accurate, Ive got a very similar boat and engine combo and with a 13P 2 blade bronze prop that had had cup added to it I get 30 mph alone or 29.4 with 3 people... its all the hulls would do to go 30... the motor had about 1000 more RPM but it gains no speed beyond 30 mph....

4-16-2014. 25 years old today... the fishin boat doesnt look to bad for a classic does she

things that were are no longer as they are today...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 150aintenuff View Post
    ... its all the hulls would do to go 30... the motor had about 1000 more RPM but it gains no speed beyond 30 mph....
    So where'd the extra 1000 RPM's go?
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found in a few cases such as this, that the boat bottom is soft and concaves as more power is applied. Old hulls such as these seemed to be minimal on stringer strength, even when new. Just my thoughts, not that they are necessarily correct.

Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast