Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I already said I was having fun, get over yourself man and you can meet me anytime you want. Let me know when you want to come down to keywaddin or I can let you know when I'll be up at lovers key with Rollin and the rest of that gang. Never said your stuff was junk, just made a general humourous statement. I can call your stuff junk if you really want me to, but could honestly care less to. my whaler does 51 mph, get it right

yep I ragged you brp boys about rouen this year, because thats all the rest of the board heard anytime BRP was mentioned in a thread till this years race lol.

I'll be the bigger man(we can get a ruler out if ya really want lol) and delete my attempt at some good natured ribbing since it so obviously got Instigators blood pressure up.
    Last edited by NNT; 07-29-2007 at 10:15 PM.
    I'm currently boatless

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey guys,
    not trying to start a war here with anyone, but i'm just adding my 02c about the e-tec outboards and omc gboxes. seeming this thread is about the gearboxes i will start with that. i do understand that the omc boxes are not that well built, as in alloys and the contrusction. but how many omc boxes on here do you see for sale complete or in peices, propbably 1/3 of merc sports masters in peices. one thing i will agree on the omc design, is that it is a very simple gearbox, non of this bull**** pre-load merc crap, no bullets, no cranks in the shift shaft area's to get worn out. the omc box is one of the safest boxes and the strongest internal omc thing here. yes we all know about the ficht engies from 1994 to 2000 when johnson, or omc went broke, and that is understandable. as they where building the POS fichts, and yes i am a omc guru, but those first fichts where really bad, thay had either no money, or had bad time to construct there gearboxes. maybe weaker alloys, maybe because carrier walking out, but who cares it was just a thing that they went through. but it is getting sorted. my v4 case, the little 13 diameter case, well i put that thing together at the start of this year, i have checked the oil only once, the seals havnt been changed since the 1980's. it is my first gearbox i ever put together of my own. i got tips from instigator, jphii etc on the bearing carrier, and yes i pinned the sucker down for surface peicing sakes. and the bloody thing has not let me down. my closest mate who owns a 280 merc. he has gone through 3 pinions, a broken shaft, lost prop etc. every time he goes out, he expects problems. my gbox looks like crap, i have run in sand banks, i have my bobs low water cone welded then resin/talc bonded on, and yes maybe it does not look like a million dollars but it does the job. all i am saying is that the latest omc boxes are one tough thing. the lightning and magnum gearboxes, are like a 5 speed manual transmission out of a car. that gear box looks like a million dollars. and under extreme testing that omc has put them through, it has failed them a few times, obviesly because it there first attempt, but now, they are a work of art. regarding the low water pik up thing. yes they might of placed the inlet pick up holes lower, and i do wish they make a low water pick up gearbox like the sports masters, and it will defianetly last longer than merc junk. but maybe they are going slowely with there engines. now to the power head story. when you actually think about it, if anyone followed the rouen race, a stock fishing e-tec engine, against a s3000 high performance race engine and yes last year or year before, i dont remember, brp came 1st and third, i mean that is absoulutely great, and for a fishing engine, going through those conditions running wide open for long periods of time is fantastic, but you see, try get a merc opti max or a efi or something?? try race that. on the opti crap you have the hpdi crap sitting on top of the block, bull**** electrics, they rattle like a old inline chrysler, and they blow up. maybe merc should align them engines agaist old stock fichts or later model e-tecs. another mate of mine, he owns a 19 or 20 foot offshore fishing boat, and a really heavy one, he has a 2002 200hp ficht evinrude. its spinning a 21 stainless fishing prop and he is getting 67mph. but he treats that engine, hole shoots it like a race car, and puts numorous hours on that engine, it has not missed a beat, or the plugs have not been changed since 3-4 years now. always starts on the second or third revolution, but just saying that the new brp/omc engines are a engine to be experienced. soo much torque to spin a massive pitch prop, throw a wayne taylor 16 inch mid on it, and away you go. but then again will the sports master gearbox keep up with the torque of the brp engine? now for these two people nnt, and 1bad action. i do not personally know you guys and i probably never will, and dont get me wrong but i think when it comes to any latest news on brp technology, you guys are a bunch of ****heads. have you people ever been on a e-tec?, i have been on a s3000, 280, 260, stock 2litres, bridgeports, 2.4's etc, and i will stay with my omc engines, yes maybe the old xflows are not the best engines, but a little backyard mechanicism, a few hand tools and you would have a race motor which would run for some time, depending on the use. i think awesomebullet should take you's wankers for a spin on his e-tech?? i think some guys here are correct. i think you's 2 sit on a computer fantasising on any new MERC product, and try to rub it in our faces. take some time, stop your wankin, and do some reasearch on evinrude outboards. go to liquidnirvanas site, it is a peice of art with the old omc pictures, and they have the rouen pictures on there also, maybe take some time and go through it and see what omc put you MERC guys through. bak in the day, twister vs strangler, tripple c vs 2.0 litre , omc v8 vs 2.4's, and the t3 3.4litre merc. and guess what merc was ****tin there pants because omc could not get away. maybe omc lost interest after second effort, and out of money, and left you MERC guys to do your crap, but you people wait, i swear that brp is coming out with a race engine, over 350hp, and no its not internet words, i have heard it from highly respected race gurus and brp shops around here. maybe a year or 2 but it will bite you's on your ases and use will be upset, and we will be laughing. any way, this is just my 2 cents, please correct me (omc gurus only, merc guys wont believe what i have written) if i have put something in there wrong.
    talk laters. dzalj1

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dzalj1 View Post
    now to the power head story. when you actually think about it, if anyone followed the rouen race, a stock fishing e-tec engine, against a s3000 high performance race engine and yes last year or year before, i dont remember, brp came 1st and third, i mean that is absoulutely great, and for a fishing engine, going through those conditions running wide open for long periods of time is fantastic, but you see, try get a merc opti max or a efi or something?? try race that
    And a Merc Production 2.5L Optimax came in second. And the same 2.5L has won or top 5 since it was introduced. And when Merc went with their Production 3.0L, they ran production leg and gearcase (not aftermarket race stuff) and came in 3 and 5.

Better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah thats good for mercury, but for a champion ship win for brp, it is a big thing. and with that 3litre, thats ok, but still bring them against the e-tecs

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dzalj1 View Post
    i think awesomebullet should take you's wankers for a spin on his e-tech??
    My Etec 225HO has been at every River Ranch run so far and anyone is always more than welcome to take a spin in it. I had Marueen in the boat at the last run and she sure had some nice things to day about the motor....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 20" 250ETEC for a 20' Whaler project, cant wait to get it on there and see how it does. Hopefully in 2 weeks I will find out.

Is there a 250HO and a 250 or are they the same?

The BRP website is pretty crappy so it seems I cant figure it out, especially for us people not so much in the "know" when it comes to these things.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rob the 250 HO is not yet released.

As for performance compared to the Merc on the Ranger I was told the Merc slightly better out of hole etec quicker every where else.

Every one will have an opinion lets at least wait until they are available as the lower unit and I am sure other items are not finalized

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 250HO and 250 are totally different motors. The 250HO is bigger displacement (3.4L vs 3.3L), different gearcase, and different EMM mapping. I can't wait til my 250HO comes in....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that would explain my confusion because I could not get any on the 250HO, but sometimes they list it.

The hull its going on will only go so fast, its also light- so I dont think this application will benefit from it as much as others will.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It is my understanding..

that the "Lightning" case is no longer in production and it's succesor is/was to be the "Magnum XP" and that it had bigger gears and therefor a 1/2" bigger dia. at the bullet.

This close?

One of my old dealers up north was a big E-Tech dealer and had a bunch of Lightnings but I don't think ever saw a Magnum??

I am geeked though to see that they are experimenting with gear ratios!

With gas at $3.+ the thoughts of a bullet proof 300 HP DI motor with gears in a decent housing.....hummhh.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 1.71 ratio is much better, but BRP still needs to offer a taller ratio in the 1.6's if the new 250HO max's out in the low 6000 RPM range.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty sure that the stock 250 H.O. will max at or below 6K rpm.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

100%....

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Decker View Post
    A 1.71 ratio is much better, but BRP still needs to offer a taller ratio in the 1.6's if the new 250HO max's out in the low 6000 RPM range.
    agreed.

Either give us more RPM or gears.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    lightning is still in production. The magnum unit is much larger and thus is not a good performance option the xp was slower than a lightning.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    has anyone been able to up the r's on the e-tec yet I saw where one won some drags up north and I know it had to be turning more than 6500. Matt

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast