Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NNT View Post
    Copyright infringement- It stops people who can't come up with thier own solutions and then steal others ideas. I believe thats the main reason for patents, right?

I'm starting to buy into the OMC/BRP conspiracy theories, I think Mercury is responsible for all of lifes problems. I'm now going to go out and buy a Etec and a pair of pink speedos. Just ignore the man behind the curtain and all will be well
    The Merc patent covers any water inlets on the nose or bottom of the bullet. If you are so friggin smart, you figure out how to make a low water pickup gearcase that does not have water inlets on the front or bottom of the bullet. That is why the HPDI gearcases have the water inlets on the side of the bullet. You can raise the motor higher, but still not a true low water pickup.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MY question is, how did Merc get a patent in the first place when just about every inlet position has been used over the last 90 years? Go back to the old, I'm talking OLD designs, of some of the engines. Water inlet on the front of the bullet, skeg, etc. How about a little PRO BONO research from some savy computor in the law office and give some dates as to expiration of some marine patents. Sounds like a term paper project.
    Backfire

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    evil black motor patents - http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT4832635

It doesnt look like they got just the water intakes patented, they got the total crescent style patented, intakes and all... one of the newer patents specify "water pickups on all 4 quadrants" of the front of the bullet for the fleetmasters and torquemasters, but that has no bearing on LWPs- FWIW.

as far as gearcases, is there a patent on making one that isnt weak? they seem to avoid doing that just as much as the water pickup location.
    > Stainless steel Merc cowling plates - $110 shipped TYD - LINK <

1979 16' Action Marine/2.5L Merc S3000 - Metalflake Maniac
    1984 18' Contender Tunnel/2.4 Merc Bridgeport

"Where does the love of God go, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The material used in the lightning case has been redesigned and in the last two years there have been few failures of the lightning gearcases using the new internals. I keep hearing of these stacks of lower units, and uncle joes brothers cousins daughters sisters aunt had a few fail, but I have not seen it with my own two eyes and there is never proof, just hearsay. I know that the dealer here has replaced less than 10 ALL YEAR this year. The Magnum gearcase is already bulletproof. The lightning is just about there....

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Maybe, Maybe not..

the Yammi and Suzuki have crescent leading edge designs so not sure how they can get away with that if Merc has a patent on it??

I read something some where though about that being a potential issue with moving the water pick ups though. (I think)

Those that think the stock OMC cases are junk are sadily mistaken or just totally blind with Merc worship.

I've had tons of 20 yr old housings in my shop that had never been opened up until I got into them.

My first new motor was a GT 200 looper in '89 and I ran that motor on three different Hi Perf hulls and put a total of a couple hundred hrs on the motor and never had the l/u apart.

The real issue with them is when you surface the unit/propeller in Hi Perf applications. (my first was only semi surfaced)

It will hammer the bearing carrier out if you don't pin them.

But with $5. worth of stainless bolts and an hour you can pin them.

If you do that, run good fluid and stay on top of your preventive maintenance they are nearly bullet proof.

Since I started doing that to mine, I've never had a failure that wasn't self inflicted.

The Sportys are the best Hi Perf unit on the market but look at all of the ones for sale in pcs. They ain't perfect either.

The one MiamiDave has on his JohnRude was fresh when he bolted it on and has only put 20 or so hrs on it and is already getting shavings in the fluid.

As far as patents in general go, I was selling boats when Volvo introduced their "Duo Prop".
    We sold OMC, Volvo and Merc.

Merc spent a bazillion dollars trying to convince the buying public that the Duo Prop was smoke and mirrors and attempted to compete against it with their "All New" Bravo II which was just a lengthend Bravo housing that allowed them to run bigger diameter wheels.

When Volvos initial patents ran out guess what Merc came out with??

The Bravo III.

Guess who they pay royalties to for each Bravo III they sell ??

Funny how anytime anyone attmpts to post something positive about a BRP/OMC some expert jumps in the thread to tell them what crap it all is.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    LOL. get your OMC undies un-wadded, contrary to what you might think, everyone doesnt hate BRP as much as you hate merc, I promise! (other than NNTs joke, which must have touched a nerve) no one said they were junk, just they aren't as strong as they need to be for surfacing. I dont know what the LWP/speed bitch is about, cause a regular case with a good cone runs better on top than a fatmaster anyways.

as far as the bravo, volvo, vulva, whatever, volvo wasnt the first with TRPs, nor do 90% of the people on this site really care. nice red herring, none the less.

Funny how anytime anyone attmpts to post something positive about a BRP/OMC some expert jumps in the thread to tell them what crap it all is.
    you mean the same way you do when someone posts about something you dont like? pot meet kettle.

I like it, glad BRP finally has something to compete with a 250XS im sure a 250HO isnt the only trick they have up their sleeve tho.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You..

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadAction View Post
    LOL. get your OMC undies un-wadded, contrary to what you might think, everyone doesnt hate BRP as much as you hate merc, I promise!
    continue to prove you have no clue and why most people just keep to them selves instead of posting positive info.

Not even going to dignify the dumb ass statements you make with a response.

Long as we all believe everything you put on a computer we'll all be fine.

Am curious which of your many yrs of experience with Sportys and going fast tells you about which housing is best "up top"??

Funny too that you don't care about patents that worked against Merc but anything that protects their secrets. Yikes.

Go back in the bathroom with your Twinkies and Merc Racing calender.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it, glad BRP finally has something to compete with a 250XS im sure a 250HO isnt the only trick they have up their sleeve tho.
    You call 1.5 MPH slower and 1/2 sec slower hole shot with 3.4L on a Ranger competition?

Better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Instigator View Post
    hahahaha.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

One of us drives boats and one of us drives a ...

hahahaha.
    keyboard.

Pretty sure everyone knows who does which.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here we go with the NNT and 1BA circle jerk......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you ment jerk-off circle

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeBullet View Post
    Here we go with the NNT and 1BA circle jerk......
    They sit around a circle n play basketball,see who can catch each-others e-jaculation,queers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ready.............aim................

man you Brp guys are a touchy bunch, makes it too easy to have fun with ya
    Nah, it's just that everytime something comes up about BRP you two are the first to jump in and run your mouths about things that you have no clue about. Makes it dam hard to provide an answer to the people asking BRP questions when you two are running the post into the ground with your pro-Merc Anti-everything else stance on things....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeBullet View Post
    Evinrude has been working on cases for a while now. The problem with doing front water inlets or even getting them on the bottom of the bullet is the Merc patents on that stuff. BRP had a fantastic case, but it was too close (legally) to the sportmaster and when Merc cried foul they had to can it. Mother Merc keeps a very close eye on this stuff and if they can deem something infringes on their patents, they will....Yamaha had the same problem when they were working on the HPDI case.
    OK, I didn't realise that merc held the sole patent on the front LWP Does the suzuki 300 case have front LWP, but on top of the cone? At least it would be easier to modify, with a drill and some epoxy!

How close to a merc case was the etec case they had to scrap?

Does adding a nosecone with LWP mess with warantee's?

Thanks, Alan

Power Marine 650 Offshore Race, Yamaha 130 Pro-V

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There yah go.

"not quite junk" ?
    Very classy.

More like, kinda, sorta should give a **** what a smart ass with a 40 mph Boston Whaler thinks

Make sure next time you and I are at the same place you come over and call my stuff junk.

You now how it is. The guy with the littlest dick talks the most crap.

Funny, none of the fast guys (white or black) start or talk ****.

It's always some punk ass w/a computer.

I normally don't even respond to this crap from these goobers.

If I read something I question I figure out who the guy is.

Any history??

Any accomplishments??

Ever seen his stuff??

If not, then who the F cares.

Go find a "serious" negative comment from anyone on this site that's actualy done anything.

There isn't any.

Bunch of classy, knowledgable people run off by this stupid **** though.

nipplehead went on for weeks about the broken E-Techs at the Rouen 24 hr race this year.
    Stock ficsh power heads against S-3000 factory race motors.
    Woo hooh.

Where were you last year when two privateer teams took first and third with one.

Just like school, a couple of punks that no one likes starting crap with everyone else but only when the teacher is around.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast