Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

most common problems with aussie 1750 bullet

Got a mate looking at buying 1750 bullet what are the most common problems to look for hull wise are they prone to cracks etc

cheers dave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi, well the only problem i have noticed is the floor. what happens is that, the 1750 bullet hull is a light weight hull, either it is made out of fibre glass or kevlar, or even carbon fibre in some spots, but the way the floor is damged first is, the 1750 is a hull the sits high out of the water, and i mean really high and sits slightly level with the nose point towards the sky only a little bit, but because it sits high out of the water, when the boat is achieving its speed, eg 70mph+ medium size to barge plowing waves get attaked from the centre then towadrs the back of the boat, and the centre gets hit first. for an unexperienced driver, or some learner driver of a bullet, they hit these waves hard in the centre with bends the boat or warps it, and popes the floor off from the bondo it gets glued on, making the bottom of the boat weaker. off course it will not happen the first time, but a few weekends out and it sure will. but then it depends on the driver. also another propblem is the joing of the two moulds. top and bottom. some are only thin coated with fibre glassed sheets then the gunwale gets pop riveted on. meaning alot of weak areas being taken out, then from the flexing from hitting waves and popping the floor up, top half starts seperating from the bottom.
    well i hope this gives some info, maybe too much and maybe too much in detail, but it was just my .02c

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mmm

thanks mate thats just what i wanted to hear when the floor breaks from the bondo does that make for a flexi floor ? how can you tell if a boat has this problem ? i know some of the kiwi ones had a weak point in the sde where the steering pulleys are but these would have been thrashed as race boats
    cheers dave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey, sorry for the late reply, the only way i can tell, is buy walking on your floor up and down, sorta jumping but not to get your feet of the floor, just really bouncing on the floor and see if it flexes, because it will break first, then water will soak in, meaning the wood will bulge out up wards and when you step on it, it would cave in. or in the corners, towards the back, where ever there is a join in the boat, get a screwdriver and put some pressure in some spots and see in the screw driver colapses through or flexes the glass/wood. i am having that problem right now, my floor is buggered, water has soaked in, it is flexing, and there are a million holes in it from the previous owners. i am out of money to repair it, and it is a tunnel deck, so the top half has to be seperated, so i'm not worried about it, soo what i do is i take everything out of my boat, seats, fuel tanks, battery etc, and leave the boat in the sun for the wood to dry up. or at least to take some weight out of it and save some fuel lol. but anyways thats as far as i know. the transoms are very strong, i have not seen a transom in a bullet that has rotted out or been damged or something. really only the floor, oh and if the boat sits on the trailer for too long it will start getting hooks in the hull. meaning the boat is not capable of reaching its top speeds. make sure the bottom of the boat is straight, the chines are straight also.
    hope this helps even more, dzalj1

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bullet

cheers mate ...thats pretty much every thing i need to know. its funny but my mates backed out of the deal (lack of money ) but it looks like i might now buy it its a 1986 kiwi 1750 1 owner 200 merc,boat and motor only done 100 hours, it looks imaculate, he wants $12000 nz dollars, im gonna recheck the floor again now
    by the way nice lookin tunnel deck. i just love tunnel deck bullets they must handle way better because of the weight being in the center of the boat
    cheers dave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bullet

heres a pic of the boat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 44084501_full.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wholy crap, that boat has only 1 owner, thats preety good, i guess he mustove liked it alot to keep it for soo long. well since it has been with one owner, the usage of it would be minimal. i reakon it would be a good boat, i dont think the boat would be damaged, but just double check it anyway. thanks for the compliment on my boat, oh they drive way different to a open 5 seater or a normal ski boat. everything is centered in the boat, nothing is on the sides, so it sits really high out of the water. handels really great in rough waters, and the power to weight ratio is great with the smaller engine. it all levels out and sists high.but your 1750, it will be a good boat, throw a good 260/280 on the back and u will see 90mph+, any ways good luck with it , hope you do get it, and i will post some more pictures of my boat up soon anyway, in closer detail.
    dzalj1

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bullet :-(

holey sh..t what a disapointment what a total pieace of crap full of gelco cracks needed full repaint and uphostery no bilge pump ,no jockey wheel on trailer, no hour meter, he just thinks its done a 100 hours ran it on muffs nothing coming out of tell tale none of the switch gear works
    DAM what a waste of time oh well just keep lookin i quess
    Last edited by laserracer6; 07-27-2007 at 01:56 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

more bullet problems

ok guys take a look at this pic whats up with the ski plank ?? it looks way to wide .maybe someone has had a play with it ?? its on a 1750 im lookin at buying every thing is perfect about the boat except the weird looking lower transom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 45747971_full.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok i can answer my own question it was built like this by the supervisor of the bullet factory in the south island of new zealand i think about 1990
    to his own specs its a stepped plank i think maybe he used it as a barefoot boat was told it was done to clean up the wake

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm?? i dunno but it has something to do with skiing thats for sure, maybe your right about the bare foot thing, maybe the origional bullet pads might of been too small, and too wakey, soo mustove designed a larger plank to reduce waves. sorry to hear about the other 1750, what a shame, not even a jockey wheel, come on. thats not right. oh and defieanetly stay away from that 1750 with the gelcoat cracks. i hate them, my bullet is really one whole stress crack lol. it looks good from a distance, but up close it looks like a crap. any way good luck with your search for some 1750 bullets.
    dzalj1.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bullet plank

have since spoken to the guy with the boat he says he hasnt noticed any difference between his bullet and his mates standard bullet as far as wakes go, hes also puting me in touch with the builder of the boat so i can find out first hand, He says the boat with a 200 blackmax and a high five prop is a rocket out of the hole sorry to hear about the stress cracks as long as you dont get to close to it ...it will look just fine