Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Exclamation *** Cracked or repaired lower units NOT permitted for sale here ***

Here's the deal everyone - regardless of which end of the debate you find yourself on this issue, lower units that are cracked or repaired at the skeg any other stress point are not permitted for sale on Scream And Fly.

So, to be clear:

Modified Sportmaster (within reason)? OK
    Repaired anti-cavitation plate? OK
    Cracked or repaired skeg? NOT OK

Those units are dangerous and should either be used on slow fishing boats or scrapped.

Thanks,
    Greg

Facebook | YouTube | Vintage Outboard Catalogs
    Photo prints available of your boat - click here

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Thanks Greg Keep This At The Top....i Gotta Friend The Bought 1 And The Guy Didnt Say Anything But I Noticed It Had A Skeg Welded On He Was About 2 Put It On His Alli And Run 100+mph... He Might Not B Here Otherwise .... Peaple Just B Honest And Dont Kill No 1.......thanks Todd
    Quit Hate'n and go test.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welded skegs

I have first hand knowledge of what happens when a welded skeg lets go.I bought a Lower unit that I knew had been repaired { by a good welder}it was sweet.The first time I ran the gear case was at the high speed shoot out in north FL..I was going up river after a 100 + pass and I got into it again....about 70 mph the boat hooked left hard and pitched my buddy[ mach 351 on the boards] who was in the back seat about 30 ft into the river.HE was wearing a vest thank God ......My point is there was no warning and if there was another boat on the left or the right the out come would have been very very nasty......never again I will use a welded on skeg..

4. Likes tcampbelljr@comcast.net liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about twin engine applications with no torque tab?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

school me

I have a sportmaster that hit a chain, and took out a chunk of the skeg. not much though. The torque tab is still there, around the bottom of the shaft housing the skeg is still original. just at the bottom corner where it hit the chain does it have repair work. I'm running it on a 280 powered XB2002. have made countless high 90, and numerous 100+ passes. Am I just lucky nothing bad has happened yet, or do I have enough of the original skeg to be in the clear?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

skeg

My gear case was repaired at the bottom of the houseing so when the skeg came off the boat lost directional control[A BLOWOUT]. I also have a sportmaster with a repair on the botton leading edge of the skeg...the repair was the size of half dollar and I have had no issues with it after many 100 mph passes. IT sounds like your case repair is ok .I think Greg meant lower units that the skegs were repaired or replaced or cracked up close to the houseing because when the repair fails it becomes deadly to the people in the boat and any thing within 50ft around the blowout.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have repaired quite a few broken skegs. If two angles are used instead of prepping a straight angle I believe there is far less chance of the skeg coming off again. Maybe I have been lucky, maybe Im just good have'nt had one come off after I fixed it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by propdr View Post
    I have repaired quite a few broken skegs. If two angles are used instead of prepping a straight angle I believe there is far less chance of the skeg coming off again. Maybe I have been lucky, maybe Im just good have'nt had one come off after I fixed it.
    That's great Just DON'T sell one here
    God, Country, and Fast Boats
    SPECIAL BOAT TEAM 12/ HSB'S SOC NSWU-1

Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. And when your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that they weep and pray for more time that they may live there life over in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a Hero going home.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im just sayin that they can be fixed if you know your stuff. I dont have one for sale. I fixed a sporty last year on a over 100 mph boat. and its still running. no propblems.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rules is rules....

I have always wondered about those slip on skegs, skeg guards. How do they hold up? If I were to do one I would fill it with epoxy before installing it. Just a question.
    Don't lick my boat, It makes it sticky!

Another Hitman for the Sunshine Syndicate!!

2011 Seafox Viper

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Im just sayin that they can be fixed if you know your stuff. I dont have one for sale. I fixed a sporty last year on a over 100 mph boat. and its still running. no propblems.
    Here's the thing............. I believe it's IMPOSSIBLE to weld a skeg back to STRONGER than new condition, and as cast ones fail. When a skeg comes off they CAN cause serious injury or death. I think it is an absolutely foolhearty gamble to run a welded skeg on a high perf/high transom height boat regardless of how good you or anybody elss THINKS they are. In any case, we don't allow them sold here OR offers to repair either.
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R. View Post
    Rules is rules....

I have always wondered about those slip on skegs, skeg guards. How do they hold up? If I were to do one I would fill it with epoxy before installing it. Just a question.
    Jay I believe the slip ons are well suited for low perf boats that have had skeg damage from striking something. Skegs fail from high torque applications at the rear near the top and the crack works foward from there. A slip on or skeg guard does nothing to strengthen this area and I would guess could even add to the potential for failure if somebody runs it high.

I know of an STV doing a bat turn only running about 60 when it came off. Obviously it was already cracked. I can't imagine what would've happened at 100 plus.
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If you knew as much as you think you do, you would know that an aluminum casting is weakened by the heat it takes to weld it. The weld itself is not the weak point. Have a wonderful day.
    > Stainless steel Merc cowling plates - $110 shipped TYD - LINK <

1979 16' Action Marine/2.5L Merc S3000 - Metalflake Maniac
    1984 18' Contender Tunnel/2.4 Merc Bridgeport

"Where does the love of God go, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks raceman, I was wondering cause you always see skegs with a chunk out the bottom. The repair I described would only work on a boat with the top half of the skeg intact.

As for welded skegs. I second your comment on it being a gamble, with someone elses life no less. Also, I have a friend who is a pro welder. He has to have his skills tested periodically with hydraulic presses for breaking strength and x rayed. If there is anyone in the world I would trust my life to their welds its him. And he refuses to weld cast aluminum where someones life could be on the line. He races motorcycles, and I got my hands on a wrecked one for him and told him it just cracked along a weld and he could have it free and repair it. He took one look and said it wasn't worth risking his life over welding that, turned out to be a cast frame. Just food for thought.
    Don't lick my boat, It makes it sticky!

Another Hitman for the Sunshine Syndicate!!

2011 Seafox Viper

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast