Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just bought a original mint condition '78 Hydrostream Ventura II w/ original Merc 175

The boat is incredible. Still has an aluminum 25" pitch prop. Ran it for the first time yesterday and encountered something I have not experienced. With the jack plate all the way down (no nose cone or LWP on it) I trimmed it up and when i got to a good max height the steering would jerk and the boat would roll heavy to the right. Unsettling to say the least. After a couple more runs I figured it is the prop breaking loose thus the engine heaves back the other direction with lack of prop torque.

What prop should i be running on this boat? And will this wierd blowout situation correct itself with a good stainless performance prop? The boat will not be used for family fun or skiing. It is my cruising boat. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you probably got the motor too high. your preformance should have gone down as well. for props tempest rework [esp the 26s]. get some LW PU before you burn the motor up.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i liked my 27 and 28 trophy alot but there are faster out there... ill sell ya a 27 srx if you have to many rpm and need to lose a couple 100...

get a nose cone for sure and set the propshaft about 2" low and work up in incronments of 1/4th inch.. with the right prop you will end up almost even or there abouts.. ditch the aluminum and make it a paperweight.

4-16-2014. 25 years old today... the fishin boat doesnt look to bad for a classic does she

things that were are no longer as they are today...