Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what am I missing??

first trip out with the jet last saturday!! lake harris in leesburg fl. water is low, little windy but over all geat fun!! lots of folks on the water.

motor would not start friday, typical boat, ran it up to my mechanic. he changed the plugs gave it a prime and a shot of starting fluid and boom!!!! she was running like a swiss watch. now I have both an outboard (70hp yamaha) and a jet (454 BBC) and I find the simplicity of the jet to be a real draw. $109.00 to get the jet running compared to $783.00 to get the outboard running. now I understand we have two completely different technologies going on here but what the hell! these two boats sat side by side in my warehouse for 6 or so months (I know you gotta start um at least once per month, but I didn't start either of them) the outboard needed carbs rebuilt, water pump, fuel pump, plugs, ect. the jet needed plugs which were 3 years old anyway, primed and a shot of starting fluid. now I know there are lots of outboard guys reading this so tell me what am I missing??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you are missing is "STA-BIL". It's what we up here dump in our fuel tank before we put it away for the season. http://www.goldeagle.com/sta-bil/

I put my jet boat away (in a pole barn) last September. Yesterday, I put the battery in it and after about 20 seconds of cranking, she started and sounded great. It's been like that for about 20 years.

Oh, I also have a pontoon boat. I spent $360 last fall getting it (outboard) fixed so it would idle.

We live on a lake so we need the pontoon boat for fishing and parties.

I use the STA-BIL stuff in anything that runs on gas if it's not gonna be run for a few months.

Great stuff.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSleekOlds View Post
    What you are missing is "STA-BIL". It's what we up here dump in our fuel tank before we put it away for the season. http://www.goldeagle.com/sta-bil/

I put my jet boat away (in a pole barn) last September. Yesterday, I put the battery in it and after about 20 seconds of cranking, she started and sounded great. It's been like that for about 20 years.

Oh, I also have a pontoon boat. I spent $360 last fall getting it (outboard) fixed so it would idle.

We live on a lake so we need the pontoon boat for fishing and parties.

I use the STA-BIL stuff in anything that runs on gas if it's not gonna be run for a few months.

Great stuff.
    PINK STUFF IN A FUNNY MEASURING BOTTLE, I USE IT IN THE OUTBOARD BUT NOT IN MY JET. MAYBE I'LL GIVE IT A TRY IN THE JET AT THE CLOSE OF THIS SEASON AND SEE IF IT HELPS. DOESN'T SEEM HELP ME MUCH IN THE OUTBOARD!!---225HCCA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dump the outboard !!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well nickallan i would dump the outboard but running the pontoon without it is pretty tough. hey i got an idea!!! i could gather all of the hot air expelled in these forums from outboard/jetdrive rivalries and run that P.O.S. around the world!!! thanks for your insight on my issues, i'll get back to my coffee and prozac now---225hcca

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats a cool looking jet you have.......... dump the pontoon, drink beer instead of coffee and you'll be a happier man!!! Nick.