Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    47/48RE is basically a 727 with an overdrive on the back.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^I didn't know that. I had the 48RE on my 03 3500 srw. The only thing I didn't like about it was the long time it took to go into the next gear up. That had to create a lot of heat.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Guys, I drive one just like this! I also own a transmission shop! Dont worry about the fluid... Not a problem at all... If its red, it will work.. But a synthetic fluid, would decrease the temp some.. type f, if you can find it, would shorten the shifts some, because it has no friction modifiers. The dodge dealer would never no what fluid you used, unless you told them. They are not going to send it to a lab.. The 47RE/48RE... is just a computer controlled 727, with a overdrive unit on the back, although most of the parts will not interchange with a 727. The computer controls governor pressure witch controls shift timing of the 1-2 and the 2-3 shift. Then a solenoid is activated to shift to 4th.. The lock up (tcc) is also controlled by a solenoid. Someone said the tcc was a (pwm) duty cycle system. With slip built into the lock up.. NOT true, on this unit. It is either off, or on.. You slip the converter much on this thing, and you will be buying a trans. The converter, is the weakest link. All cummins trans, that come though here, get a billet converter... Hope this helps!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i agree with you on the 1 ton/3500 trannies, no duty cycle/percentage on lockup. i was referring to dakotas & 1/2 ton pu's. do know that the wrong fluids WILL affect those systems, they need the friction modifiers, to control the heat & amount of slip allowed. except for the wiring & computer issues, i'd rather have an old school 727 & a gearvendors od, like what's in my '73 charger.
    AIRWALK
    gettin' old ain't for sissies

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a 99 3500 cummins in a dodge. love the engine tranny is crap did the tranny at 15000miles. did a full billet tranny with raybestos clutches and a good valvebody and billet triple disk converter. what a difference. and i only use the castrol atf+4 fluid in it. lots of boost and abuse and hasnt missed a beat in years. And i mean lots of abuse.
    1988 reaction19-sold
    1978 action20 w/ 250 efi-sold
    2003 quartershot T4-sold
    1978 16 action with 15'' 2.4 -sold
    1979 mako21 w/ evinrude 150 faststrike-sold
    1995 18 ACTION COPY w/ CCMS HO2FO!-sold
    1981 24' manta w/ a v8

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigyella View Post
    Guys, I drive one just like this! I also own a transmission shop! Dont worry about the fluid... Not a problem at all... If its red, it will work.. But a synthetic fluid, would decrease the temp some.. type f, if you can find it, would shorten the shifts some, because it has no friction modifiers. The dodge dealer would never no what fluid you used, unless you told them. They are not going to send it to a lab.. The 47RE/48RE... is just a computer controlled 727, with a overdrive unit on the back, although most of the parts will not interchange with a 727. The computer controls governor pressure witch controls shift timing of the 1-2 and the 2-3 shift. Then a solenoid is activated to shift to 4th.. The lock up (tcc) is also controlled by a solenoid. Someone said the tcc was a (pwm) duty cycle system. With slip built into the lock up.. NOT true, on this unit. It is either off, or on.. You slip the converter much on this thing, and you will be buying a trans. The converter, is the weakest link. All cummins trans, that come though here, get a billet converter... Hope this helps!
    LOL, after looking back, Bigyella pretty much sums up my posts 5, 8, 10, 16. Looks like the people IN the business at least, come to the same conclusions.
    Keith-

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moparbarn View Post
    i remember going to chryslers at carlisle about 4 years ago. a guy had a white 4 wd 2500 cummins 24 valve on nitrous and propane. tail pipe the size of a water main. claimed he could put no more fuel to it, due to the stock ecu. dodge had threatened to sue if he opened and modified the oem ecu. claimed he had more power left on the table, because of lack of fuel. was running 4 wd to launch it. was breaking dana 70 rears and denny's driveshafts with 2 wd. still had to carry spare trans. he started breaking input shafts. even after cyrogenic treatment ! don't know how much power it had. he BURIED a 1200 hp/1400 tq. chip on the dyno! freakin' amazing. had time slips showing mid 11's at something like 115 mph. drove it from new england to the show. very stout trucks. carlisle's next weekend , guess where i'll be?

AIRWALK
    HAHA! I'd love to see this dyno graph. You have it? How about the guys' name then? 1200hp diesel would make closer to 1800ft-lbs or more.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    don't remember the guy's name, but he owns (owned?) a diesel shop in new england somewhere. different dyno crew there last year, don't know who will show up this year, but i'll see in a few weeks. the dyno sheet had 2 lines that went up at a steep angle, & left the page at about 2/3 across. no hp or tq number's were generated, he maxed the chip the had out. haven't seen him back since, & i don't miss a year....... like i said in my last post keith, 1 ton trannies - i agree with you on fluids. the smaller ones, not so much . it's still all good, if we ever meet, i'll buy the beer !

later,
    robin
    AIRWALK

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since the converter has been brought up I have a symptom that has occurred a couple of times now. When cruising in OD at approx. 60 mph there will be a slight shudder that happens only once. This has occurred twice now and I am suspecting the lock up on the converter. No codes show on the computer. Any ideas??? 04 ram cummins auto supposedly stock tranny.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2