Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Panther Jet Steering

I just picked up a 1981 19' avenger boat with a panther jet, The steering will not turn right, only left and straight ahead. does this mean it is the cable? or can it be something else? any help and/or suggestions is Greatly appriciated!!

Terry
    ledzepoholic@socal.rr.com
    (818) 294-3520

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i thin kits the cable.
    has the boat been sitting a long time
    damn the bad luck

liberty indiana

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it was sitting for a little while but not too long, maybe a year or two, if that. the pump was supposedly rebuilt but they had the same steering problem and was never fixed. if i remove the cable from the jet it will turn effortlessly, but as soon as the cable is place back on it will not turn right. it looks as though the cable shaft is maxing out right on the top of the pump where it goes into the sleeve that then goes through the pilot hole on the pump, you can actually feel & hear it. one friend (who has a nice sanger BTW) said maybe the steering wheel wasnt centered on the gear under the dash. i dunno bout that, there just isnt enough back and forth movement if you ask me. plus the wheel is not even attached and still the problem persists when cable is conected to pump. we even pulled the cable off the steering wheel and dumped some oil into it but did'nt help at all, besides... its not like the thing is binding, slides smoothly. i need to tear into this as im going to havasu in 3 weeks!! thank you very much for your reply!!!
    Last edited by ledzepoholic; 04-10-2007 at 01:41 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a 82 john haskel with panther most like its the cable butt check the box or swim step over the pump i hade hard steering then it locked up so new cables you can drive it with one finger you can panther jet parts ther still around panther jet .com hows it run im runing i blowen small block in mine

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neil450 View Post
    i have a 82 john haskel with panther most like its the cable butt check the box or swim step over the pump i hade hard steering then it locked up so new cables you can drive it with one finger you can panther jet parts ther still around panther jet .com hows it run im runing i blowen small block in mine
    It (BBC) sounds real good! Never been on the water yet though. My new cable should be coming in today. Picked it up for $248.00 from West Marine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PIC-0130.jpg  
    "Hard-On" 1969 Dragoncraft Flatbottom / 392 Chrysler HEMI

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea panther marine carries every thing you need they still build the pump they make a jet o vater for it now my haskel is a small block chevy 355 with 6-71 blower shop blower 570 fly wheel hp built by CFO enter prise i well give bbc a good run it also has no problem runin with other pumps i think ther great all together give panther a call they will tell you how to adjust thew ride plate to pull 80s they say if you got the hp