User Tag List

Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Thread: Merc V6 History

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trim system with the hollow bolt were a pain, try to keep the silicone sealer out of them, and when they galled, good luck getting them out. We made a puller to jack them out with a slide hammer, because we changed engines all the time. We also used regular nuts so we would not stick them. The steering system was also not cool, as the tilt tube was over the top of the transom. When we needed dual cable steering, there was some engineering involved, which was not simple or effective. You needed dual cable because the engine had a LOT of steering torque because we started using the Alpha 1 gearcase, after a while we had to change the gearcase quite a lot. JFL

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who are you?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting back to the design --- Having established that the cylinder centers could be 4 3/8 inches I could start the rough layouts of the three 6-cylinder engine configurations. The inline six was easy. It was obvious that with loop scavenging passageways the engine height would be even taller than the bigger cross scavenged engine which had been rejected before, so we eliminated it from consideration right away and proceeded only with the 60 degree V and the 180 degree V (opposed).
    I had already set the bore/stroke ratio at 1.18 by making a listing of B/S ratios of 19 up-to-date loop engines which ranged from .927 to 1.22 and then staying within the range. I had leaned toward the bigger bore ratio mainly because this would allow a slightly narrower engine in the 60 degree V and I was determined to keep the engine as narrow as possible. Also, the shorter stroke would allow the engine to rev higher while keeping piston speed down. To get the required 10% increase in displacement, I would leave room for a bore increase from the original 3 1/8 to 3 ¼ inches. This would take the B/S ratio up to 1.22. Little did I know the bore would eventually go to 3.5 inches and a B/S of 1.32.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mr. Jerry, I know this question is most likely premature but what was the purpose of the bridge in the transfer ports? They are prone to break in the chrome bore 2.4L and i simply removed them. I never broke one in the steel sleeve 2.0L.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bridge across the transfer passage is there to accelerate the flow as it makes the bend into the cylinder. This prevents detachment and turbulance which would restrict the flow. It worked well on the original bore of 3 1/8 but with the 3 3/8 bore I think it got somewhat thinner and less effective. I was off the project by the time we went to salt cores and chrome plated bores.
    Last edited by rckid74; 09-16-2017 at 02:03 PM.

6. Likes Sweetspot liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rckid74 View Post
    The bridge across the transfer passage is there to accelerate the flow as it makes the bend into the cylinder. This prevents detachment and turbulance which would restrict the flow. It worked well on the original bore of 3 1/8 but with the 3 3/8 bore I think it got somewhat thinner and less effective. I was off the project by the time we went to salt cores and chrome plated aluminum.

In those days how did you measure flow changes from one shape or layout to another? How much was on paper and how much was prototyped, and how many variants would you try and discard?
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go back and read my comments on using the "Jante fixture". I probably went thru a couple dozen different shapes before being happy with it.
    Last edited by rckid74; 07-16-2013 at 07:20 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Go back and read my comments on using the "Yante fixture". I probably went thru a couple dozen different shapes before being happy with it.

Thanks, I appreciate the response.
    Last edited by T2x; 07-16-2013 at 07:21 AM.
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Go back and read my comments on using the "Jante fixture". I probably went thru a couple dozen different shapes before being happy with it.
    Page 6 - Post #76 (for anyone looking for the post?)
    Thanks,
    Tim Bostic

Hoss Marine Propellers
    www.hossprops.com
    918-479-5167 (shop)

Pugh Hydro w/260 Merc - 12" mid
    1987 XB2002 Allison w/2.4 EFI Merc - 15" mid
    1985 XR2002 Allison w/2.4 EFI Merc - 12" mid (Restoration Project)
    "New" - 1987 XTB21 Allison (Refurbished at the Factory!!!!) w/'99-225 ProMax Merc

Top Speed Blog - http://www.screamandfly.com/blog.php...OSS-quot-Style

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoss Marine Propellers View Post
    Page 6 - Post #76 (for anyone looking for the post?)

Got it thanks......
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also read post #59 on page 4.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After setting the (bore -3 1/8 in. and stroke -2.65 in.) to give the 2 liter displacement, the next thing to do was to determine the best crank arrangement. With six crankpins there are many different combinations to consider, however, if we apply a couple of restrictions it boils down to only four arrangements for each type (V and opposed). Those restrictions are that the firing intervals must be even ( for smooth torque delivery), and that the three cylinders of each bank must fire 120° apart (for exh. pulse tuning). These types were analyzed for balance and results tabulated. The technique used was to obtain complete balance data for a three cylinder inline engine firing from top to bottom and bottom to top and then vectorially adding the out-of-balance forces (couples in this case) for the two banks making sure to phase the couple vectors properly. Then it is easy to determine; first, if a counterbalance couple added to the crank can reduce or eliminate the inherent couple, and also exactly how much and where to place it. I did all this graphically as opposed to analytically. Today you would punch a few numbers into a computer and have the answers immediately. My computer back then was a slide rule, which I still have by-the-way.
    Using this information I picked out what I considered to be the best arrangement for each engine type. (more later)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bridge across the transfer passage is there to accelerate the flow as it makes the bend into the cylinder. This prevents detachment and turbulance which would restrict the flow. It worked well on the original bore of 3 1/8 but with the 3 3/8 bore I think it got somewhat thinner and less effective. I was off the project by the time we went to salt cores and chrome plated aluminum.

Thank you, Finnally after all these years an answer to my question. And an inteligent one at that.

DB

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rckid for getting us away from the twisty L6 motors....I knew a smart man did the V6 merc.....I back engineer.......I allways thougt the 55 omc looper was the pre leader of the Merc V6.....just good engineering ????? C Strange was GOOD....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man this brings back memories. We rigged the first 1750 in this area on a 15' Allison bass boat. The owner was not happy with it as his brother had the same boat with a 200 Johnson, and smoked him. I got the engine (maybe 10 hrs on it) and all the rigging for $1800 and rigged it on my Ventura II. The early engines had a stern drive shaped lower unit that blew out around 80 on the 'stream. We had it on display at the local boat show and the Mercury dealer brought the Merc rep over to see it. (the motor came from a dealer in North Carolina, no dealer in our area had gotten one yet). The rep looked at the boat, listened to me complain about the blow-out and took my address. Shortly aftyerwards, a new housing arrived UPS at no charge from Merc with the streamlined shape similar to the 1500. We ran close to 90 with that rig, and it was VERY user friendly and trouble-free for 3 seasons of river racing, ski racing, and OPC racing. Thanks to Rckid and the others involved for the "small block Chevy" of outboards!!!!
    18 Talon/2.4 carb SOLD
    26 Deck Boat/250 Merc

17. Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast