User Tag List

Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Merc V6 History

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you like the pictures? Does it look like the last time you saw it? We need to talk.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How far along the line did the adi ignition come into play?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OLEGATOR View Post
    I'll try to clear some of the fog. You have Billy Dupree mixed up with Chick Morris. Chick worked with Frank Mundy on the race car when he was hired. He was our factory rep also. He moved up with mercury. He became the branch manager of the Atlanta branch and retired from there. I know Billy has told me how he started with mercury but can't remember the story now. Billy was a long time employee and very close to the old man. when the old man wanted a mercury presence in Kissimmee, Billy was the front man. Billy was like a second father to me.
    I don't think I have them mixed up too much. I remembered Chick's name while trying to go to sleep. He was our factory rep for awhile also, but not for long. He may have been before Billy. I worked at Dade Marine from about 57 to 64, with a little over a year in between with Dave Craig. Chick was the tire changer. I think it was Dave that told me about the two of them. Billy would go drinking with Ken Wilson, boss at Dade Marine from 60 on till Leonard took over. I figured you would know about them also. Billy seemed to fade out down south around 60..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps before I get too far along I should try to answer ‘Rotary John’s’ question from back on page 1 as to why we were apparently shooting so low with our horsepower goal of only 150 HP. Now I must say that most of what I’m going to say here is purely conjecture on my part. I was not privy to the goings on at the upper levels of the company so I just kept my nose to the grindstone and tried my best to achieve what was asked of me.
    When I first came to Mercury in March of ‘65 the engineers at plant 6 were just finishing testing a somewhat larger (135 cu. in.) cross flow inline 6. It never went into production for reasons unknown to me but I heard that one of the major objections was that it was just too tall. I think it was like 3-4 inches taller than the M1000 then in production and that was not acceptable. But this indicated to me that they were concerned about future power increases to keep up with or ahead of the competition. The M1000 could be stretched a little further and we bored it out and bored it out some more and kept upping its power, and then Herman Maier came along and worked out the Direct Charge system which gave us a little more breathing room, but it was obvious we needed a basically bigger engine with room to grow, an engine that wasn’t so tall.
    Now it’s fairly well known that Mercury and OMC had been having a horsepower war for many years with Mercury usually leading by 5-10 HP or so and we intended to keep it that way. By 1970 we were up to 135 HP and OMC had what, maybe, 125. So when Bob Johnson handed me that spec. sheet requesting a 122 cu. in. loop scavenged engine with room to be bored out another 10% and a power rating of only 150 HP, I’m fairly certain he was thinking that would be enough to counter OMC’s next move and then we could easily keep moving up as need be. Little did we know what OMC had in store for us. More about that later.
    Last edited by rckid74; 01-20-2020 at 12:57 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    RCkid: The HP figures you are quoting were at the crankshaft rather than propshaft...correct?
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I would very much like to make sure this thread remains very visible for all readers. Perhaps eventually we should have this article accessible right from the home page too? This discussion is incredible.

Greg

Facebook | YouTube | Vintage Outboard Catalogs
    Photo prints available of your boat - click here

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scream And Fly View Post
    I would very much like to make sure this thread remains very visible for all readers. Perhaps eventually we should have this article accessible right from the home page too? This discussion is incredible.

Greg
    I Agree

What you might consider is just allowing this thread to continue along & make it a "sticky" and then have an "edited" version also available from
    the home page without all the extra comments ...... just the "good stuff"? That way, anyone new could read the "meat" of the conversation without having to read page after page of comments. ...... of course, if they wanted, they could also read the entire posts of this thread. (not trying to say other's posts are not important to the thread, just the extra comments that take time and really add nothing to the thread.... like this post and Greg's previous post.)
    Thanks,
    Tim Bostic

Hoss Marine Propellers
    www.hossprops.com
    918-479-5167 (shop)

Pugh Hydro w/260 Merc - 12" mid
    1987 XB2002 Allison w/2.4 EFI Merc - 15" mid
    1985 XR2002 Allison w/2.4 EFI Merc - 12" mid (Restoration Project)
    "New" - 1987 XTB21 Allison (Refurbished at the Factory!!!!) w/'99-225 ProMax Merc

Top Speed Blog - http://www.screamandfly.com/blog.php...OSS-quot-Style

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in total awe of the original Merc V6 engineer recounting his development cycle. I worked on some 'stuff' at a large computer company for too many years and none of that would compare to the results and pride you have in the device you created over forty years ago.

I mean this sincerely: Thank you for your devotion to developing the technology that makes us look forward to next weekend.

9. Thanks rckid74 thanked for this post
    Likes WillySteve liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With CP This is what we live for concerning boating! Gary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To T2X. Yes, back then all power figures were based on crankshaft readings. It wasn't until some years later that we started rating at the propshaft.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rckid74 View Post
    To T2X. Yes, back then all power figures were based on crankshaft readings. It wasn't until some years later that we started rating at the propshaft.
    Your correct if I'm right the propshaft readings started in 1984. Gary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes...

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss Marine Propellers View Post

What you might consider is just allowing this thread to continue along and then have an "edited" version also available...
    without all the extra comments... That way, anyone new could read the "meat" of the conversation without having to read page after page of comments. ...... just the extra comments that take time and really add nothing to the thread...
    Couldn't agree with you more...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is just getting good.

Dave
    1980 Cougar 19 tunnel,90 2.4L Bridgeport EFI in middle of restoration.
    1988 BAJA Sunsport 186, 96 225 Pro Max
    79 12' Auminum, 95 Merc 9.9
    RIP Stu
    "So many idiots, so few bullets"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember the first time we ran Old Blue on a boat at the Lake. Probably about November of 73. It came in this big upright wood box, it had a plastic drop on cowl that was padlocked to the lower pan. The control box, cables and fuel line all were attached to the engine. All we had to do was mount the engine, screw the control box to the side of the boat , fuel and battery. When it hit the water we couldn't believe the power and top speed. Remember we could only compare it to the engines of the day, maybe 135 HP, this thing was much faster. The next day we crated it back up and sent it back to Plt 6. I can safely say I was one of the first people in the world to drive the first Mercury V6. The other person was my brother Jack.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you say your brother Jack, the last name does not happen to have 4 letters in it?

Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast