User Tag List

Page 46 of 49 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 LastLast

Thread: Merc V6 History

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mbd29 View Post
    Gee Rotary John an X8Must have been an awesome engine. Are they still in production?
    Unlike the Merc that used 2 production V-6's with a common c'case. The Zigler was designed new from scratch. If I recall it was 100ci. Like the Merc X-12, it never saw production.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotary John View Post
    Unlike the Merc that used 2 production V-6's with a common c'case. The Zigler was designed new from scratch. If I recall it was 100ci. Like the Merc X-12, it never saw production.
    ...and recall you saying in a long previous post, that the single cranks journals & the rod bearings failed under load, as they were underengineered for the task. of course, a second engine was put together, but...well...you know...what was that einstein quote about the definition of insanity?...
    Last edited by FUJIMO; 03-05-2021 at 03:56 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jerry,
    What an awesome thread you have gotten a couple thousand people drooling over. Bravo!

I do have a question, On the X12 motor that You had made, What was the flywheel driving? Fuel pump? Distributor? If it was a fuel pump why the redundancy?

Thanks again man!

Jesse

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=SkywayGT;3322652]Hey Jerry,
    What an awesome thread you have gotten a couple thousand people drooling over. Bravo!

I do have a question, On the X12 motor that You had made, What was the flywheel driving? Fuel pump? Distributor? If it was a fuel pump why the redundancy?

Thanks again man!

Jesse[/QUOT

Thanx Skyway --- Actually the flywheel (which is on the rear crankshaft) doesn't drive anything. It has the normal magnet structure for triggering the ignition for that engine, but that's it. --- Refer to the picture on entry #478

i know it looks like I'm using all kinds of fuel pumps here and I am but they're all necessary. -- The fuel injection system requires somewhat more fuel pressure than the usual diaphragm pumps can put out. I couldn't use an electric pump because the alternator doesn't put out enough current to support it. So I had to utilize a belt driven gear pump instead. What you see is the belt from the front crankshaft driving the brass high pressure pump underneath the fuel bowl. The fuel bowl has a float valve inside and receives low pressure fuel from the two diaphragm pumps which are connected in series. When we first tried to start the engine it wouldn't fire because the belt driven pump just wasn't spinning fast enough at cranking speed. So I had to add a small electric pump in parallel and wired it into the start circuit. Started fine with that and got the engine spun up enough the big pump could take over. -- Good Question!
    Last edited by rckid74; 12-21-2021 at 04:10 PM.
    Never up --- never down!!

5. Thanks SkywayGT thanked for this post
    Likes Bob V, SkywayGT, Mark75H liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How were the two cranks joined ? Gears at the bottom ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes! Just the gears in the gearcase. i had planned to put a set of gears up just under the engines in the adaptor plates tying the two driveshafts together if needed but never got that chance when the project was canceled. i would have preloaded those gears high enough to prevent any free play.
    Last edited by rckid74; 12-21-2021 at 06:03 PM.

8. Likes SkywayGT liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a question: How many Mercury V6s were produced between 1976 and the end of the opti run?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoLimits View Post
    I have a question: How many Mercury V6s were produced between 1976 and the end of the opti run?
    I haven't the slightest idea! Had no connection with the V6 after the summer of '76.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting Thread. Thanks for the inside story of the history of the V6

12. Likes rckid74 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Merc V6 production run from 1976 to 2018.

In this video at the beginning you will see two boats flipping. That is Cees vander Velden and Bob Hering, and both were using Merc inline 6 power. Renato Molinari leading the race, in the photo, is also using inline 6 engine.

However, Boat #6 is Bob Spalding powered by the First V6 Merc in racing competition. The race is in Europe near Koblenz Germany. Ron Anderson and two other Mercury engineers brought the engine from Wisconsin to Europe in 1973.

14. Likes rckid74 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With Loop Charged Induction does the engine achieve a better fuel burn ratio (less non-burnt fuel) in the chamber, than the Cross Flow Induction system?

Therefore, creating a cleaner exhaust, and generate more horsepower - relative to the same cubic engine size.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Post# 132.

Quote Originally Posted by rckid74 View Post
    After setting the (bore -3 1/8 in. and stroke -2.65 in.) to give the 2 liter displacement, the next thing to do was to determine the best crank arrangement. With six crankpins there are many different combinations to consider, however, if we apply a couple of restrictions it boils down to only four arrangements for each type (V and opposed). Those restrictions are that the firing intervals must be even ( for smooth torque delivery), and that the three cylinders of each bank must fire 120° apart (for exh. pulse tuning). These types were analyzed for balance and results tabulated. The technique used was to obtain complete balance data for a three cylinder inline engine firing from top to bottom and bottom to top and then vectorially adding the out-of-balance forces (couples in this case) for the two banks making sure to phase the couple vectors properly. Then it is easy to determine; first, if a counterbalance couple added to the crank can reduce or eliminate the inherent couple, and also exactly how much and where to place it. I did all this graphically as opposed to analytically.

Today you would punch a few numbers into a computer and have the answers immediately. My computer back then was a slide rule, which I still have by-the-way.

Using this information I picked out what I considered to be the best arrangement for each engine type. (more later)

And the calculator was the instrument tool between the slide rule era and the CAD computer.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake X Kid View Post
    With Loop Charged Induction does the engine achieve a better fuel burn ratio (less non-burnt fuel) in the chamber, than the Cross Flow Induction system?

Therefore, creating a cleaner exhaust, and generate more horsepower - relative to the same cubic engine size.
    Yes!! The trapping efficiency is better. That is - more of the fresh mixture is trapped in the cylinder before combustion.

18. Thanks Kitch thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...42 year build run of this superior engine. just wow......

20. Thanks rckid74 thanked for this post
    Likes Dd24skater liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rckid74 View Post
    Yes!! The trapping efficiency is better. That is - more of the fresh mixture is trapped in the cylinder before combustion.
    If Loop Charged Induction is more efficient than the Cross Flow Induction, then why was CFI introduced as a viable system in outboards?

Both LCI and CFI seem to be mechanically (moving parts) on a equal physics platform. With trapped fuel-burn-performance going to the LCI system.

Page 46 of 49 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 LastLast