User Tag List

Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Merc V6 History

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Husky's and Bultaco's thrown in the "brainstorm bowl" of Mercury ideas. Very cool.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah huskys and bultaco's......I remember them bad arse motorcycles very well. I use to run a bull. Back then as far as 2 stroke bikes they RULED. Lol now back to this awesome history lesson
    Laser 1550 ...under construction with a serious weight loss
    Motor 2.4....undecided on hp yet

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that before I go on about the production engine design I should clear up my relationship to the racing version. I had nothing to do with it. As far as I know that was strictly Ron Anderson with help maybe from a guy by the name of Ray Reid and Dick Lanpheer. By the time Ron was hired into my group (about the end of '71 or early '72) we were already running sand cast prototype engines. He was in my group and under my direct supervision for maybe 6 or 8 months before he was branched off to do the race engine. I'm quite certain this was just to get him familiar with the engine and to give him time to establish contacts within the company before he was turned loose to do his thing, and do it he did, ending up with the T2 or was it the T3, 2 liter race engine. I can't keep my T's straight anymore. As you probably know, Ron's background was as a boat racing driver, engine tuner, and prop expert and I'm sure that's what he was hired into the company to do. Hell-of-a-nice guy and personal friend. I believe he moved out to Australia some years back. You racing guys should try to make contact with him and see if he won't do a write up like this about the race version. That would be very interesting.
    Last edited by rckid74; 07-01-2013 at 09:04 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the best thread I have seen in years! Awesome!!
    Sold the Skater, missing it everyday

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dd24skater View Post
    This is the best thread I have seen in years! Awesome!!
    At Least. Thanks again for this great lesson in history. And thanks to S&F, without which, we wouldn't have this opportunity.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rckid74 View Post
    Ron Anderson with help maybe from a guy by the name of Ray Reid and Dick Lanpheer. By the time Ron was hired into my group (about the end of '71 or early '72) we were already running sand cast prototype engines. He was in my group and under my direct supervision. Hell-of-nice guy and personal friend. I believe he moved out to Australia some years back. You racing guys should try to make contact with him and see if he won't do a write up like this about the race version. That would be very interesting.
    Man the good info just keeps flowing, thanks. I thought there was a Merc Ace Ron Anderson in the Seattle area. Can it be the some one?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great stuff!! Thanks
    Cawley

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great stuff.....It would be interesting to see how the Merc V6 development compared to OMC's efforts. The greatest part of this is the way it started from a single sheet of notes rather than from reams of data... To me the best projects are visionary and not from data driven committees.
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best thread on the site in years. I've been patiently waiting and hoping that this thread would come alive. Thank you very much! JB
    Last edited by fox88gt; 07-02-2013 at 04:21 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm having trouble again with this site rejecting my entries. Lets see if this goes thru?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Easy, create any text then highlight it by holding the mouse button and draw the curser across the text. Then right click as shown and click on cut. That copies it to your "clipboard", then to reply to a post, right click again and select paste, and the cut text will appear in the post.

Living in the Freedom provided by Bud Conner and his fellow warriors.
    R.I.P. my Heathen Brother

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back to the design. ---- After riding the Husqvarna for awhile to get a good feel for it’s power characteristics, I had the engine pulled and put on the dyno. As expected, it had an excellent BMEP curve. BMEP is the average pressure in the cylinder during the expansion stroke and allows you to directly compare engines of different sizes. My measure of a strong, tractable engine is one that has at least a 4000 RPM spread with the BMEP being over 100 PSI. We’re talking 2-stroke engines here. Next I stripped the engine down, cleaned up the cylinder, and made RTV castings of the transfer passages. They were beautiful. Nice big handles swooping way out then smoothly curving back to the port while gradually decreasing in cross-section. Just what I would like to do in the new engine. The only trouble was that they stuck out nearly 2 inches beyond the cylinder wall on each side and while this was fine for a single cyl engine they would just not fit compactly into a multi-cylinder. What to do? What to do?
    I had read an SAE paper #680468 titled “Scavenging and Other Problems of Two-Stroke Cycle Spark-Ignition Engines” written by a German engineer named Alfred Jante. In it he discusses a technique he developed for evaluating transfer passages and ports in 2-stroke engines and looked like something I could use to help me scrunch down those big transfers while still maintaining good flow patterns. In his test the cylinder has the head removed and the piston at BDC and is mounted on a fixture which allows you to blow air up thru the transfers. A row of pitot tubes is stepped across the open cyl top and a plot is made of flow velocities over the entire top of the cylinder. This is then analyzed and compared to known good patterns, changes are made and reflowed until a good pattern is achieved. (more later)
    Last edited by rckid74; 12-30-2017 at 10:45 AM.

13. Thanks pcrussell50 thanked for this post
    Likes pcrussell50 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like an addict, I stop everything to get my fix when the notification comes that there is an update, only possible improvement would be to add Mr. Anderson for the race versions once this is complete.
    RT
    2023 TUFF 25

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RBT View Post
    I feel like an addict, I stop everything to get my fix when the notification comes that there is an update, only possible improvement would be to add Mr. Anderson for the race versions once this is complete.
    RT
    I know exactly what you mean, Rob. When my phone beeps with a reply notification, I stop what I'm doing and instantly read this thread (if I'm not already at my computer, of course).

Greg

Facebook | YouTube | Vintage Outboard Catalogs
    Photo prints available of your boat - click here

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greg this needs to be a sticky.

Dave
    1980 Cougar 19 tunnel,90 2.4L Bridgeport EFI in middle of restoration.
    1988 BAJA Sunsport 186, 96 225 Pro Max
    79 12' Auminum, 95 Merc 9.9
    RIP Stu
    "So many idiots, so few bullets"

17. Likes WillySteve liked this post
Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast