User Tag List

Page 22 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast

Thread: Merc V6 History

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FUJIMO View Post
    Oh Brother... How the hell do you respond to that...
    Thats was my plan.

Dave
    1980 Cougar 19 tunnel,90 2.4L Bridgeport EFI in middle of restoration.
    1988 BAJA Sunsport 186, 96 225 Pro Max
    79 12' Auminum, 95 Merc 9.9
    RIP Stu
    "So many idiots, so few bullets"

2. Likes olboatman liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    IMO,the old gal would be better left as is.Just clean,dry,and well cared for.She has earned every battle scar and mark on her.A rehab would take something away.-----Anyone with a heart for motors, will love her as is!!! And those that don't it just don't matter.

4. Thanks Piratebob thanked for this post
    Likes Slimm liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by outasite View Post
    IMO,the old gal would be better left as is.Just clean,dry,and well cared for.She has earned every battle scar and mark on her.A rehab would take something away.-----Anyone with a heart for motors, will love her as is!!! And those that don't it just don't matter.
    I agree! One of the first rules when collecting old coins is you must not shine them all up to make them look new again. They lose most of their value. And I think the same applies here. I like the patina the Dykem finish has aquired over the years. To paint her a nice shiny blue would be a sin.

6. Thanks Kitch thanked for this post
    Likes Cp liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rckid74 View Post
    I agree! One of the first rules when collecting old coins is you must not shine them all up to make them look new again. They lose most of their value. And I think the same applies here. I like the patina the Dykem finish has aquired over the years. To paint her a nice shiny blue would be a sin.
    I also agree 500%. This would be such a huge awesome event to actually see this ole gal put back together and fired up..Is there going to be anymore history posted up? I have learned and appreciated so much from this thread. I am patiently waiting for more to come.
    Laser 1550 ...under construction with a serious weight loss
    Motor 2.4....undecided on hp yet

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER View Post
    I also agree 500%. This would be such a huge awesome event to actually see this ole gal put back together and fired up..Is there going to be anymore history posted up? I have learned and appreciated so much from this thread. I am patiently waiting for more to come.
    Yea, I know. I guess I just kind of ran out of steam there a year or so ago. I'll see if I can toss some more coal on the fire and get going again.

9. Thanks Slimm, madgadget thanked for this post
    Likes Cp, tgreen, Slimm, madgadget liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, I know. I guess I just kind of ran out of steam there a year or so ago. I'll see if I can toss some more coal on the fire and get going again.
    That would be so awesome rckid74. I for one can't put into words how grew is is to get this information and also can't put into words the appreciation I we have for you sharing this with us.
    Laser 1550 ...under construction with a serious weight loss
    Motor 2.4....undecided on hp yet

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are correct about old coins. And Yes Ol Blue is a One Off. But unlike old coins outboard motors actually increase in value when properly restored I have a old 1952 Eljin I paid $35.00 for but once its completed and in as new working order It will bring a handsome price to a collector of vintage outboards.

Maybe it doesn't need a shiny new coating. But there are coatings that will not take away from how it looks now (if that's what's preferred) and will preserve its current condition and stop deterioration.

I had a customer bring me some exterior Antique lamp fixtures that they couldn't find a matching original coating. And no way could they ever be replaced. The Owners Wife had tried to rattle can paint them to get that original hammered look?? Any way they were a mess. I had to completely strip all the crap she had done. When I saw that many of the pieces were Bronze and had a very nicely aged patina I advised only coat certain pieces back original but leave others natural like it was originally and I can suspend them to continue to look this way for many years to come.

Well The Wife won and the owner and I lost.

So again Gentlemen my offer to assist in anyway I can still stands. Whether it be Restoration, refurbishment, or suspending Ol Blues current condition to avoid further deterioration.

Again Thank you for your knowledge, and the history of this beginning to one of the best outboard motors ever designed.

Bud Conner "Heathen" "Defending Our Constitution"

FOR ALL ENGINE APPLICATIONS
    DRY Film Lubricant for Piston Skirts & Cranks + Thermal Barrier Ceramic Coatings for Piston Tops, Combustion Chambers, Valves etc !!

12. Likes Slimm, olboatman liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to put everyone's mind at rest----Mark and I have had long discussions about this, as is? As was ?-----as should be? Modify, Beautify or not to B?
    We're not exactly rushing into it, just telling you it will be done "Correctly" and not mutilated in any way!
    Anyway, if any of you saw the RIVA RUDY that Mark rebuilt up to "Concours" from a scrap yard find, you know it's in good hands.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second that it would be great. This is the best thread ever on S&F IMO... Keep it coming!!
    '97 Allison XR2001rr / 2.5 Merc

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yea, I know. I guess I just kind of ran out of steam there a year or so ago.
    I'm full of hot air (ask anybody), I can lend you as much as you need
    Living in the Freedom provided by Bud Conner and his fellow warriors.
    R.I.P. my Heathen Brother

16. Likes olboatman liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merc Fanatic View Post
    I second that it would be great. This is the best thread ever on S&F IMO... Keep it coming!!
    No it's not----Willabee's HOT SINGLES beats the crap out of it!

So does Life at lake X

Best of all though is "Tricks" -----great site by a cantankerous old guy who loves to argue!

18. Likes Mark75H liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    No it's not----Willabee's HOT SINGLES beats the crap out of it!

So does Life at lake X

Best of all though is "Tricks" -----great site by a cantankerous old guy who loves to argue!

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. Personally any thread that tells of the old days before racing and boating in general got hammered by the government is good in my book.
    '97 Allison XR2001rr / 2.5 Merc

20. Likes Slimm liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merc Fanatic View Post
    That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. Personally any thread that tells of the old days before racing and boating in general got hammered by the government is good in my book.
    Look Merc fanatic, I owe you an apology, I was being facetious and flippant, I had no right to do that----it's what I do, spout off, put foot in mouth before thinking.
    In my defence, I am quite mature, in fact if I'm honest I'm downright old, but I do have a modicum of knowledge on Boat Racing History, especially European, when I can remember !

22. Likes olboatman liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think the blue spray dye is marked with scribed layout marks - cylinder centerlines, excess machining stock, etc. I would be a shame to lose these references with a refinish? After all - this is the first prototype and should be left as such?

24. Thanks tony1204au thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bernie, if we did not agree with you on this, it would probably be in pristine concours condition!
    Its on its own stand, exactly as we received it almost a year ago-----it spins freely-----it can't have many hours on it-------but what to do ? It will be decided by Mark in the end, he will have the final say------but that's in the future. For now, it's wait and see!

Page 22 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast