User Tag List

Page 18 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast

Thread: Merc V6 History

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert View Post
    ry John

What do you think about Lars Strom's quote from another thresd?

The BRP management asked for a new aggressive design so you can tell it is an Evinrude outboard from long distance.

The engineering department went back in the Evinrude history book and looked at the successful racing rotary.
    You can see many similarities here.
    John: There is some similarities to the rotary; engine set back, the scallops coming off the rather flat top, the change in color (on the Evinrude) from silver to red; and the 300 HP. The initial vertical Johnson lasted till Galveston and then went horizontal. Comments back then are similar to the new Evinrude now. I suspect it will change also. One thing for sure, the styling created a lot of buzz.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rckid74 View Post
    It would be interesting to know when OMC did start working on their V6?
    My memory is getting more fuzzy as the years go by, but I think OMC ran a 2L V-6 cross at Parris in Oct. 1974; Sanders won with it. I recall the crank was made by welding parts of 2 V-4 cranks together. 2 engines were made. It was in this same time frame that the 150ci V-6 was started. It may have been several months one way or the other, but prototype engine were racing in spring of '75. I had virtually nothing to do with the 2-stokes at the time as I was full time on rotaries, so its just recollections from me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another piece of info, while I was at OMC, as far back as 1970, I had heard roomers of a prototype V-6 looper. Never heard the power output but heard it was physically a very large engine. Finally saw it in 1976, still in a crate and yes it was big, my guess around 500 pounds... Maybe some one else saw it and has more information about it...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 727 was the 2 ltr looper
    Greg jacobsen has one, the others seem to have disappeared

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rckid74 View Post
    I'm not sure how good my "remembering" is these days but I try.
    No cranks were ever made with a square coupling end that I'm aware of. I can't imagine why anyone would want to do that anyhow. The spline would be stronger.
    I agree. Thanx Jerry. (many years ago, I owned a 1976 1750 production motor that was machined this way. only reason I inquired)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have only one question before you move on. Subject: What i have always heard them called, Backdrag jets located in the triangle hole at the top/front of the carb. They vent the carb bowl and the common thing to do was to remove them. Left in place they would restrict the bowl venting. Do you have any idea what the thought on this was?

DB

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 194268 View Post
    Another piece of info, while I was at OMC, as far back as 1970, I had heard roomers of a prototype V-6 looper. Never heard the power output but heard it was physically a very large engine. Finally saw it in 1976, still in a crate and yes it was big, my guess around 500 pounds... Maybe some one else saw it and has more information about it...
    I vaguely remember the V-6 you are talking about. In the late '60's OMC was playing with the idea of a 200 HP outboard. There was an oil cooled rotary at 210HP; Ziegler had an "X"-8 trying to make 200 HP and Kunney did a 6 but didn't make the 200HP. All 3 of them were dropped by the early 70's.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recall seeing pictures of an OMC V-6 in their catalogs before the intro of the 200. This engine was supposedly a 60 degree, looper motor. Photos I saw later showed it looked almost like a clone of the Merc. Does this have anything to do with the "blueprint issue" that was mentioned a few times in this thread?.
    '97 Allison XR2001rr / 2.5 Merc

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merc Fanatic View Post
    I recall seeing pictures of an OMC V-6 in their catalogs before the intro of the 200. This engine was supposedly a 60 degree, looper motor. Photos I saw later showed it looked almost like a clone of the Merc. Does this have anything to do with the "blueprint issue" that was mentioned a few times in this thread?.
    No it wasn't. The first production 200 was a 90degree cross. The V-6 loopers came after I left in '76. The blueprint story for those who haven't heard it go like this. OMC and Merc used the same sand caster for aluminum prototypes. A complete blueprint of the Merc V-6 block was sent to OMC by the caster by mistake. Charlie Strang, never one to stick it to the competition, had the guys mark up the print, hung it on the wall of the OMC conference room and had his picture taken with it. He sent it to Alexander and the S##T hit the fan. Alex was convince OMC had gotten the print from a disgruntled employee inside Merc. I don't know about the Merc guys, but OMC was convinced Merc was spying on OMC in both Waukegan and Stuart; telephoto lens, boats hanging around for no reason, etc.
    Last edited by Rotary John; 06-18-2014 at 01:33 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotary John View Post
    No it wasn't. The first production 200 was a 90degree cross. The V-6 loopers came after I left in '76. The blueprint story for those who haven't heard it go like this. OMC and Merc used the same sand caster for aluminum prototypes. A complete blueprint of the Merc V-6 block was sent to OMC by the caster by mistake. Charlie Strang, never one to stick it to the competition, had the guys mark up the print, hung it on the wall of the OMC conference room and had his picture taken with it. He sent it to Alexander and the S##T hit the fan. Alex was convince OMC had gotten the print from a disgruntled employee inside Merc. I don't know about the Merc guys, but OMC was convinced Merc was spying on OMC in both Waukegan and Stuart; telephoto lens, boats hanging around for no reason, etc.
    Yes, and Alex stopped by my desk one day, showed me that picture and wanted to know if I knew anything about it which, of course, I didn't. Seems to me that must have been around '71 or so.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2.0 litre OMC cross flow engine

Quote Originally Posted by Rotary John View Post
    My memory is getting more fuzzy as the years go by, but I think OMC ran a 2L V-6 cross at Parris in Oct. 1974; Sanders won with it. I recall the crank was made by welding parts of 2 V-4 cranks together. 2 engines were made. It was in this same time frame that the 150ci V-6 was started. It may have been several months one way or the other, but prototype engine were racing in spring of '75. I had virtually nothing to do with the 2-stokes at the time as I was full time on rotaries, so its just recollections from me.
    . The 2.0 litre OMC cross flow engine was raced in Europe in 1975/1976 very successfully with a low budget it now had a 1 piece crank and revved out to 7600rpm for sprint races.OMC Belgium had 4 Uk drivers running them and 1 Dutch driver .Veldon had gone back to Mercury by 1976 ' the engines at OMC Brugge were in various stages of tune my own ran 105 mph in standard trim metal reeds etc the other drivers engines 1 in particular ran 115 mph on a sprint boat with a 1 to 1 gear case which was good enough to hold the Mercury Injection special engines the factory were using.My own team mate ran a Mercury T3 carb engine with the same boat as I had and I could always beat him by maybe 2 or 3 mph when I ran a 1to1 gear case I had 10 to 12 mph on him but could not run this gear case in marathon races carrying heavy fuel loads.Mercury were continually improving their engines and increasing the power output on their race engines all the time but what I am leading up to is how good would that 2.0 cross flow engine have been as a production unit had Omc put it in to production compared a standard Mercury 2.0 production engine.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are we sure that 2.0 was a cross flow and that would mean omc made a custom cross flow and a looper for racing at the same time then dropped them both
    I feel sure they would not have wasted resources on a crossflow.
    I think we are talking about the looper, project 727 of which at least one exists.
    Last edited by powerabout; 06-19-2014 at 02:38 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    Are we sure that 2.0 was a cross flow and that would mean omc made a custom cross flow and a looper for racing at the same time then dropped them both
    I feel sure they would not have wasted resources on a crossflow.
    I think we are talking about the looper, project 727 of which at least one exists.
    They did both. The cross flow was a quick V-6 while the Looper was still in development. THe 727 was a separate project headed up by a different engineer who does visit this site .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert View Post
    They did both. The cross flow was a quick V-6 while the Looper was still in development. THe 727 was a separate project headed up by a different engineer who does visit this site .
    Wow, John was that based on the v6 production block or was it a custom job?
    I think Mr Nerstrom did the looper, he wrote about it on here once before?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This is getting all mucked up, it needs to stay on topic.
    Living in the Freedom provided by Bud Conner and his fellow warriors.
    R.I.P. my Heathen Brother

16. Likes WillySteve liked this post
Page 18 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast