User Tag List

Page 45 of 49 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 LastLast

Thread: Merc V6 History

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rotary John…….There is no escape..... we gotcha……..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotary John View Post
    Pls delete my previous post.
    I screwed up. I was trying to post the picture of Barry Woods Passing Bill Seebold at Paris 1974 as a reply that performance doesn't always lead to production.
    ...john, at the bottom of that post, it will say "edit post". click on that, and you should be able to delete it yourself. that "edit post" won't be there for anyone else to see, but you, because you were the poster. that will be 25 cents please...
    Last edited by FUJIMO; 08-04-2020 at 02:04 PM.

3. Likes rckid74 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pls delete my previous post.
    I screwed up. I was trying to post the picture of Barry Woods Passing Bill Seebold at Paris 1974 as a reply that performance doesn't always lead to production.
    My experience learning how to navigate on S&F format is this.

When you post a picture, do it in the S&F prompt "Go Advanced" (not Post Quick Reply).
    Then the Go Advanced will give you the option of "Preview Post."

Select Preview Post, and then you will see if your photo was accepted. You will see your submitted photo, instead of all that digital data software language.
    If your happy with the photo, then select Submit.

5. Likes Dave Strong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes racing does influence production stuff. Sometimes in backfires. My dad bought a brand new rig with a 1979 V-4. I had been working at my first job at a OMC dealer and found out about high ring pistons. I told my dad that we needed to change them out before they failed. I rebuilt the engine with the lower ring pistons. When he saw the high ring pistons and I explained why they would fail his reply was, 'why would they design them like this?' When I told him that it was an idea that came from the race engines he was NOT happy! He was also not happy that the newly installed low ring pistons caused a noticeable performance drop. That engine was more perky and responsive with the high ringers in it!
    1970 15' Allison/135 Chrysler stacker
    RC Mod-VP Boats

IMPBA District 13
    NAMBA District 3

7. Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We made the same swap on a 1977 200 Evinrude and got the same results. Reliability at the cost of performance. We could have replaced the stockers with the forged GP pistons from OMC but they were not legal in the class we were racing in at the time.

Also Mr rckid74 did you ever get to actually build the X-12 engine? I went back and tried to find where you talked about it some more but couldn`t find anything. Maybe I missed it.
    Last edited by Da Bull; 02-23-2021 at 07:33 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Bull View Post

...Also Mr rckid74 did you ever get to actually build the X-12 engine? I went back and tried to find where you talked about it some more but couldn`t find anything. Maybe I missed it.
    ...yes, the reeses cup kid designed & built the x-12 prototype about 35 years ago...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Bull View Post
    We made the same swap on a 1977 200 Evinrude and got the same results. Reliability at the cost of performance. We could have replaced the stockers with the forged GP pistons from OMC but they were not legal in the class we were racing in at the time.

Also Mr rckid74 did you ever get to actually build the X-12 engine? I went back and tried to find where you talked about it some more but couldn`t find anything. Maybe I missed it.
    The X12 discussion starts on entry #475.
    Never up --- never down!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12. Likes Capt.Insane-o, joyrider, Laker liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jerry and his monster mota! Wonder if it is still around? Could ask somebody in Exhibits maybe.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not much of a monster compared to the latest offering. i'd like to see the two of them side by side. And remember that T4 cowl could be dropped down nearly 4" and sucked in a little on the sides.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HeeeHee sucked in at the sides.... like a gas tank. Good to see ya still around on S/F. .A ? Question.....came up in the teck thread.......Balancing......I know the out side crank weights..... and 3 cly order are balanced....... so what happen when we change the pistons and rods......Big rod small rod 2.0....2.5 pistons? And as a speacial note for me......can we cut the outside weights and locate them closer to the rod pin......offset?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kurt Ziegler did an "X-8" for OMC back in the late '60'. 200HP.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dave s View Post
    heeehee sucked in at the sides.... Like a gas tank. Good to see ya still around on s/f. .a ? Question.....came up in the teck thread.......balancing......i know the out side crank weights..... And 3 cly order are balanced....... So what happen when we change the pistons and rods......big rod small rod 2.0....2.5 pistons? And as a speacial note for me......can we cut the outside weights and locate them closer to the rod pin......offset?
    hi dave -- yea i'm still around lurking in the shadows, watching what all's going on. -- first of all understand that the v6 (even with the balance weights) is not perfectly balanced. There are still some out of balance couples remaining. If you looked at a plot of the resultant couple thru one revolution, you'd see something (let's say) in the shape of a heart. And if you increased the weights the heart would buldge out in some place and the oob (out of balance) would increase. Likewise if you reduced the weights. So they have been sized to give the lowest oob with the given rod - piston weights. If those wts now increase the c'wt will also have to increase. So i allowed some excess clearance for the od of the c'wt knowing that the piston size would be increased at some point in the future. However i was only expecting an increase to 3 1/4 in when in actuality it went up to 3 1/2 in. I was off the project long before that happened so was not certain how they compensated for that much heavier piston/rod. I believe tungston slugs were inserted to get the c'wts up. --- not sure i understand your question about cutting the c'wts and moving them closer to the crankpin. Just the oppisite of what you would like. The mass furthist from the c'line does the most work. You'd have to add several times the mass further in to keep the balance the same.

18. Thanks Slimm thanked for this post
    Likes RBT, Slimm, Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the response......I was thinking of lower weight around the crank pin not adding on the op side... I just leave it as is KISS.,,,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kurt Ziegler did an "X-8" for OMC back in the late '60'. 200HP.
    Gee Rotary John an X8Must have been an awesome engine. Are they still in production?

Page 45 of 49 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 LastLast