User Tag List

Page 43 of 49 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 LastLast

Thread: Merc V6 History

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rckid74 View Post
    I knew some of the draftsmen and folks in the die design area at Plant 17, John Dow comes to mind. I marveled at the way they put on paper the means to cast what you guys at Plant 6 came up with, and then the die makers at Capitol Engineering came up with the die itself; the slides, the loose pieces, etc. It was all a great jigsaw puzzle weighing thousands of pounds! I remember the MCM 470 block die, when they hung that in a machine I heard the overhead crane actually flexed 3-4 inches!

2. Likes rckid74, Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bernie View Post
    I knew some of the draftsmen and folks in the die design area at Plant 17, John Dow comes to mind. I marveled at the way they put on paper the means to cast what you guys at Plant 6 came up with, and then the die makers at Capitol Engineering came up with the die itself; the slides, the loose pieces, etc. It was all a great jigsaw puzzle weighing thousands of pounds! I remember the MCM 470 block die, when they hung that in a machine I heard the overhead crane actually flexed 3-4 inches!
    A little story about John Dow (second in charge at die cast plant #17 - Pete Abel was plt manager). ----- It involves the first new die for the "Black Max" V6 block. Now this is one huge die. It has a number of slides pulling out in all directions, is some 15 ft long, 10ft high 8ft wide, weighs probably 20 tons and cost hundreds of thousands. Anyhow, I (up in Oshkosh) get a call from John (down in Fond Du Lac - 25 mi) and he says "Jerry I think you better come down right away. We just got the block die parts in and the liners won't load onto the pins, the blisters interfere with each other". WHAT!! I'm sure my heartbeat jumped from it's normal 75 to 150! I was certain I had checked that out as had Al Tyner (the block designer-detailer). If those liners wouldn't load, the whole die would probably have to be scrapped. I hopped in my '58 Vette and peeled out for FDL - heart in my throat all the way. When I got there John took me into the room where the die parts were, took a liner, slid it onto one pin and then attempted to slide a second liner on the adjacent pin but it hung up part way down. Sure-nuf the blisters interfered. We tried different liners on different pins but no luck. I thought, oh man, I better start looking for a new job. Then, all of a sudden one of the combinations worked. We had two liners on side by side. I said wait a minute John, what did you do there. We tried it again and they interfered. Turns out it depended on which one went on first. If you did it in the right order (top to bottom) they went on OK. Bottom to top - no go. Phew!! I still had a job!!
    Last edited by rckid74; 04-07-2020 at 03:52 PM.
    Never up --- never down!!

4. Thanks Kitch thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little story about John Dow (second in charge at die cast plant #17 - Pete Able was plt manager). ----- It involves the first new die for the "Black Max" V6 block. Now this is one huge die. It has a number of slides pulling out in all directions, is some 15 ft long, 10ft high 8ft wide, weighs probably 20 tons and cost hundreds of thousands. Anyhow, I (up in Oshkosh) get a call from John (down in Fond Du Lac - 25 mi) and he says "Jerry I think you better come down right away. We just got the block die parts in and the liners won't load onto the pins, the blisters interfere with each other". WHAT!! I'm sure my heartbeat jumped from it's normal 75 to 150! I was certain I had checked that out as had Al Tyner (the block designer-detailer). If those liners wouldn't load, the whole die would probably have to be scrapped. I got in my '58 Vette and peeled out for FDL - heart in my throat all the way. When I got there John took me into the room where the die parts were, took a liner, slid it onto one pin and then attempted to slide a second liner on the adjacent pin but it hung up part way down. Sure-nuf the blisters interfered. We tried different liners on different pins but no luck. I thought, oh man, I better start looking for a new job. Then, all of a sudden one of the combinations worked. We had two liners on side by side. I said wait a minute John, what did you do there. We tried it again and they interfered. Turns out it depended on which one went on first. If you did it in the right order (top to bottom) they went on OK. Bottom to top - no go. Phew!! I still had a job!!
    Little (and not so little) things like that could ruin your day! I reported to Bill Page at Plant 4, and Plant 4 was connected to Plant 17 via the tunnel under the railroad tracks - so when things went wrong, I (Chief Inspector) just had to grab a part and head for the die cast guys - Roger Scheuneman being my equal in die cast. If something went really wrong, we would convene a meeting usually in our conference room, and in would come Roger, John Dow, their die cast floor manager, and Pete Abel, and others. There was no love lost between Pete and Bill Page, I don't know why, they were equals but not friends in any sense of the word. Anyway once the problem was addressed by us peons, then Bill and Pete would go at it while the rest of us stared at each other across the table and said nothing. Pete would accuse Bill of not know how to machine something or have it located on the wrong side of the die, and Bill would shoot back about the die design stunk and the castings were terrible, etc. Then Pete would get up and leave with his staff, and usually by phone we peons would work out an agreement to get parts to feed to assembly. Die cast had an advantage - they could melt their mistakes!
    Another quick one - once when we were having problems with manifolds being cast by Plant 8, Bill said to Jim Parker, Plant 8 manager, that he couldn't cast a round cannonball! Jim took that to heart and castings started coming with a small stack of cannonballs cast on one surface - they later trademarked it!

6. Likes rckid74, nitro_rat, Laker liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Make it so!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Insane-o View Post
    Make it so!
    The 1980 and 1981 model M18 and M25 were made using this design.

13. Likes Capt.Insane-o liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tis' Why they went to lost foam casting?...….

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Tis' Why they went to lost foam casting?...….
    Yep! --- Lost foam allowed designers much greater design freedom. It had just come online about the time I left - end of '97.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep! --- Lost foam allowed designers much greater design freedom. It had just come online about the time I left - end of '97.
    and you could go down the production line with a hot knife and make a few custom blocks...
    Last edited by powerabout; 05-06-2020 at 07:04 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 1980 and 1981 model M18 and M25 were made using this design.
    great engine. still have one that's like new. think they were production for 20 years +...

18. Likes rckid74, Kitch liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The early chrome bore motors with a late model carb change run great. Then there were the Vega blocks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    SO Epic !! Thanks for the amazing history lesson.
    2006 Action Marine Comp
    1980 Ventrua 2

21. Thanks rckid74 thanked for this post
Page 43 of 49 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 LastLast