Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lately I've been able to grab a day here or there to get to grinding on the hull. It is nearly done, only a few detail areas to clean up.

Not much to see, its just a lot of time cleaning up little areas here and there. Some places randomly have thick areas of mat laid up over the roving. Some of the corners are a little tricky to keep from grinding through the hull itself.

Without the core the hull is terribly thin and flexible. I'm planning on one layer of 1708 over the outer skin to improve impact resistance and fill in any material I've removed with the sander.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vandal_hull_grind 003 (Small).jpg   vandal_hull_grind 002 (Small).jpg  
    78 Hydrostream Vandal - under restoration here: VANDAL RESTORATION THREAD
    86 21' Eliminator Daytona
    17' Badetta sandbar skiff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also found more holes in the transom. I have no idea why so many different patterns were there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vandal_hull_grind 001 (Small).jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Gent View Post
    Also found more holes in the transom. I have no idea why so many different patterns were there.
    Probably had everything on it from the old style OMC mounting to the newer universal pattern and possibly a jackplate or two.
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

transom holes

Matt, you hit it on the head. I bought that hull new and rigged it with a 1976 Johnson 75 Stinger (4 holes). Then, rigged it on a jack plate (4 more holes). Then in 1979 rigged it with a 135 Johnson and different jack plate (4 more holes). Experimented with setbacks (probably 4 more holes) from 1980-82. Sold the boat in 1984 to a guy who rigged it with an inline 140 Mercury (probably at least 4 more holes). Who knows after that?

JT

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought it with the 140, around 1985 (dad would know).

Got a bunch more in today, all the core residue is out. Only thing left is the edge of the stringers down in the pad, and some general sanding in the non-critical areas.

Today I used a 24grit flap sanding disk on the angle grinder, that was the hot ticket, should have started with it from the beginning.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't posted much, but have been working on it.

All the grinding on the hull is done and cleaned up. Also took apart the deck, got most of the wood out of it, and started removing the areas I'll rebuild.

I gathered a bunch of materials - SilverTip epoxy, Renicell for the transom, Divinycell H80 for the stringers, floors, bulkheads, & seats, and CoreCell A500 for the running surface core.

So far I've got most of the driver's seat together. Followed a post on here by Techno. I think it would have gone better with a more flexible material, I had to score just about through to make it bend enough. It'll still come out fine, but there is a definite learning curve (also why I'm doing the seats first). It'll have a wider matching rear bench with the same profile, and a small deck behind the back of the bench.

I laminated up the foam for the transom and trimmed to fit but haven't glued it in yet. It'll get a layer of 1708 and a layer of 0/90 over the existing skin and then glued in place. Also fashioned 2 clamps out of 2x4s. Don't need a lot of clamping pressure but the trick is to distribute it evenly. I set them up in bending with two threaded rods. It worked pretty well, but I think I need 3 of them to span the motorboard.

Also cut & trimmed the fwd bulkhead but haven't glued it in yet either. I'm going to run the floor all the way up to this bulkhead, rather than stopping 18" short like the factory did. Also, just forward of it will be a small shelf where the battery will be mounted. I removed the air chamber and I'm not putting it back in, have to find somehere up in the deck to put some floatation foam.

A few pics:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stream_foam 006 (Small).jpg   stream_foam 007 (Small).jpg   stream_foam 010 (Small).jpg  
    Last edited by Matt Gent; 05-08-2008 at 07:05 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    more pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stream_foam 002 (Small).jpg   stream_foam 021 (Small).jpg   stream_foam 008 (Small).jpg  
    Last edited by Matt Gent; 05-07-2008 at 10:11 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you ever finish the vandel?
    "Brandon Field"

Formerly Fieldzy

Silly Rabbit, OMC's are for Kids

1982 Hydrostream Vandal, Currently under Resto

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got busy with work and house projects, and using our skiff. Not much progress since I last posted, other than laying up glass on the bucket seat.

Next up is laying in the transom and a fwd bulkhead (all cut and ready to go), then I need to figure out the vaccuum-bagging operation and get the core in place.
    Last edited by Matt Gent; 09-07-2008 at 03:48 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been watching your thread for awhile now. You actually inspired me to do the same thing. I thought the boat I had was a vandal,but I found out it was actually a pop off boat. Runs like hell with a hot little v-4 johnrude. I have a picture journal of my rebuild. I will start posting the whole story when I have the time. Can,t wait to see the finished product. Good luck with the rest of the build.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    didnt know anyone splashed the Vandal being it is kinda small. They sure are great handling little boats.
    John E.
    HydroStream Vandal 140 EVINRUDE 69mph GPS
    Black'99 SVT Lightning #1767 of 4000
    If It Ain't Blown It Sucks!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am currently running an old school allison. I mean 73 year model old. Have a sweet little johnnie v-4 on it. I run about 65gps. The other boat has been a project I got tired of waiting on. It is getting a 130 looper with yama ignition. Ran over a 100 with the same setup with a mushy transom. Go figure why it was a holy terror to drive. I just like the fact of spanking the jet boys around me by five out of the hole with a v-4 clamp on.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Gent View Post
    I've been waiting a long time to start this project (and this thread).

<snip>
    Between shoddy construction, salt water, outside storage, and use by a bunch of teenagers, the boat is completely shot. <snip>
    Salt water perhaps...shoddy construction...I don't think so. I could hook yu up with the founder of HS and the lead engineer on the design of the hull....but it sounds like you've got it going on already. I know one of the vandals in our corral has the dash (where your gauges are) built up so they are more of a minor indentation rather than a deep recess...I don't think it really affects the character at all. On that boat the gauges etc are mounted on the into the front of the dash.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What material is that seat made out of? Is it a composite material? What size sheets did it come from and finally, where did you get it?

Thanks,

Robb

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1/2" Divinycell, I think H80, have to check. I bought 4x8 sheets from FGCI (you can get this stuff at a lot of places). I have a layout somewhere, but from 3 sheets I'm getting this bucket, a back bench, stringers, floor, bulkhead, splashwell, dash, and other bits and pieces. You could do 2 seats from one sheet pretty easy. Covered it in one layer of 12oz biax back and sides, and 1708 on the bottom (for mounting).

Putting it back together is the fun part, like arts & crafts, I just need to make time to do it.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast