Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved the boat into the garage this weekend and got a small start on demolition.

Most of the wood in the floor was just gone, crumbled up and washed away. The stringers are pretty solid except for the aft 18". About half of the thickness of the transom, from the inside, was dry rotted and collapsed.

The core is mostly intact, but when I peeled some of the top layer off of it water started seeping out.

There are a few wierd things. The fwd bulkhead looks like it was formed over a 2x8. Its very thick. Also there was a little brace very near the bow. It was 1/2" ply, with about 8 layers of mat over the top of it, and completely exposed on the bottom. Not sure why it was even there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails remove_floor 002 (Small).jpg   remove_floor 001 (Small).jpg  
    78 Hydrostream Vandal - under restoration here: VANDAL RESTORATION THREAD
    86 21' Eliminator Daytona
    17' Badetta sandbar skiff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been busy over the summer, and its been hot, so I haven't gotten much work done. The last few weekends I've spent an hour or two. Tonight was the first cool night in South Florida in the last 6 months.

I've gotten all of the rest of the floor out, and removed the floatation chamber from the bow. I've got the starboard stringer out, and started on that side's core.

The core is pretty wet, especially towards the center of the boat. The moisture was bouncing up in my face as I chiseled the balsa out. In some places I could push my thumb straight through it, further outboard it was still pretty solid. A lot of the mat is pretty dry too, it just pulls up in layers.

Also got most of the transom out. Only the last layer of ply is still in. Its pretty solid, the rest came out with a claw hammer. Most of the glass around there was really solid, and many layers of mat were layed on and around the splashwell. There are about 20 holes in the transom from various accessories and motors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vandal_stringer 001 (Small).jpg   vandal_stringer 002 (Small).jpg   vandal_stringer 003 (Small).jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've really been trying to keep the dust down in the garage, I've about reached the point where I need to pull it out into the driveway. The skill saw ripping down the core really puts out a ton of dust.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vandal_stringer 004 (Small).jpg   vandal_stringer 005 (Small).jpg   vandal_stringer 006 (Small).jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matt, I can't imagine working on one indoors, I'm working on my Viper right outside my garage and everything in there has a layer of fiberglass dust on it. Wait until you start to clean the corebond off the hull....dust city.

Looks good so far, good luck with it!

Bernie
    OK, I got down off the porch and ran with the big dogs....kinda sore now....think I'll just lay here in the flowerbed for a while...

1976 Hydrodyne 18 I-O
    1969 Allison 15R, 1973 Merc 1500 (project)
    1995 Harris toon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    90% of the work so far has been with claw hammer, chisel, and crobar. I did cut the stringers out with a sawzall and used the skill saw to checkerboard the transom.

As of yesterday both stringers are out and all the transom wood has been removed, ready to drag it into the driveway and get at the bulk of the core.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool project

I did my Vixen last year and yes it's a itchy process.
    I was suprised the the Vixen did not have a core. There were only stringers under the floor and then the floor glassed to that. no core in the boat. The deck also has a cardboard tube that runs port to starbard from the dash then to the bow light to form a "T". There is also foam down the sides like in your pictures.
    It's amazing that these boats have lasted so long.

M Hurst
    1976 Hydrostream Vixen, 1976 75 Evinrude
    North Canton, Ohio

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i am almost done grinding but still have under the bow to do , i think i will need some scuba googles for the dust storm that will be under there, the safety glasses dont help when the grinders cooling fan is blowing the glass in my face. i just put the shop vac by the area i am working on, i am sick of trying to hold the grinder in one hand and the vacuum hose in the other, i am going crazy from the dust sticking to my face from the sweat. the arms and legs iching dont bother me much, but my face and forehead feel like i have been rubbing my face on the hull and it looks like boatec in wi , who did the core in 1998, didnt grind at all, they just took out the floor cut out the old core and started new all in the same day. there is carpet glue under 1/8 inch of glass from the rebuild! you dont see it untill you grind alittle then, there it is, brown carpet glue.i have to do twice the grinding i thought i was going to do. i can finally pick up the hull of the boat to get the supports under it, when i started i couldnt even get it to move while on the trailer bunks

fun fun
    1973 Viper - sold
    1978 Viking - sold
    1995 XB02

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RJ, Makes you wonder the wisdom of 'professional' rebuilds. If you have someone else do your work, are they professional, or just convenient? The 'professionals' who built mine left a lot to be desired....

Yeah, the forehead is a real problem. I wear a cap to help keep the particles from decending on my glasses...the sweat band grinds them right in. I'm glad now the deck is back on mine but couldn't imagine grinding under there....

I was hoping my grinding days were over, but rebonding the deck and then reattaching the splash well where I cut the deck off keeps me grinding away. Not NEARLY as bad as the core bond, but I still go to bed itching.

Good luck with 'em

Bernie
    OK, I got down off the porch and ran with the big dogs....kinda sore now....think I'll just lay here in the flowerbed for a while...

1976 Hydrodyne 18 I-O
    1995 Harris toon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskier View Post
    If you have someone else do your work, are they professional, or just convenient?
    Good words Bernie. I KNOW how mine is done. And the trip across Lac Du Bonnet 2 weeks ago proved it - my new key swich fell apart, several wires came loose and my voltmeter packed it in - all because the ride was so rough. The fellow in the Baja behind me told me he saw my prop a bunch of times! But the boat took it with flying colours.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeff, Most of the professional work on vintage stuff (my other hobby is British vehicles, MGs,Triumph and BSA motorcycles) that I've seen is actually done by the 'help' not the professional themselves.

Nobody cares about your stuff like YOU do.

Bernie

1976 Hydrodyne 18 I-O
    1995 Harris toon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been thinking about what the configuration of the boat will be when I'm done. We know we want it to be center-steer, and the existing dash doesn't accomodate that very well. Also, I want to modernize the deck a bit and possibly remove the two depressions (storage area on pass. side, gauge & wheel hump on drivers). But it must still look like it could have come from Hydrostream, I don't want to change the character of the boat.

I digitized an image of the deck and started playing around with a few ideas. One is a small center pod which holds the steering and a couple gauges. A couple others are more like a windscreen that spans the width of the cockpit.

I think for now I prefer the larger of the windscreens, sort-of like a scaled down version of a Virage. I need to make a profile view and see what it would look like that way.

I'm also going to fill in the splashwell and bring the transom knees up to support it, and I'm thinking of making a small cowling in front of the engine. More for style than anything else, but it would also hide some of the wiring & steering.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vandal_oh_stockdeck.jpg   vandal_oh_moddeck.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matt, I like the one on the far right. It would be cool to build up a 'windscreen' like that out of 'glass, kinda low...would be a one of a kind.

1976 Hydrodyne 18 I-O
    1995 Harris toon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the one on the far right as well. looks more factory

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally got a chance over break to get some work done on the Vandal. I removed the right side core today. Cut it about 3/8" deep with the skill saw into ~1" squares and chipped it out with the chisel.

Most of it was dry and solid, I'd say about 80%. Anywhere water could sit and pool it was wet and rotten. About a foot from the transom all the way across, an inch in from the stringer along the entire length, and the area forward of the sub-floor under the driver's feet.

Aside from working in epoxy, I'll make sure that everything can drain well as it gets put back together. That area by the driver's feet was always pooling when the hole in the bulkhead got clogged.

Also, the picture didn't come out great, but I got an interesting view of the transom when the light came through. There were 26 holes drilled in it for various motors, braces, etc. Not counting the drain plug, speedo pickup, transom eyes, and motorwell drain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails right_core 005 (Small).jpg   right_core 002 (Small).jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Design-wise I found a windshield I really like on a Vegas for sale on Ebay. Not sure how this would work out on the Vandal's lines. I'd like to make it look more modern without significantly changing the character of the deck.

I think I'll mock one up and see how it looks. Need to do that to figure out the flat pattern of the windscreen anyways.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vegas_windshield2 (Small).jpg   vegas_windshield1 (Small).jpg   vegas_windshield3 (Small).jpg  

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast