Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Note that I don't know what the price difference would be, I'm just tossing 25% out there as an example of a performance premium in the price. I doubt it would actually be 25% but who knows.

I can see smaller boats coming back here if gas stays up. I can't see gas getting any cheaper, and if it does I doubt it will last for long. Regular is running around 2.50 here +/-. And yeah, boats take a lot of gas if you have the throttle on. I got a lot of other good places for my cash these days. If I fill a 6gal can and put it in my little 85hp bayliner it does not last over a couple hours of running around, less if I keep it hammered a lot.

England. (The wrong side of the pond for fuel)!
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
    Note that I don't know what the price difference would be, I'm just tossing 25% out there as an example of a performance premium in the price. I doubt it would actually be 25% but who knows.

I can see smaller boats coming back here if gas stays up. I can't see gas getting any cheaper, and if it does I doubt it will last for long. Regular is running around 2.50 here +/-. And yeah, boats take a lot of gas if you have the throttle on. I got a lot of other good places for my cash these days. If I fill a 6gal can and put it in my little 85hp bayliner it does not last over a couple hours of running around, less if I keep it hammered a lot.
    Point taken mate.
    Whats the point of having a boat if you "ain't gunna" give it some!
    I have not got my head round the $ conversion yet, but you guys have it well cheap.
    I just wish BRP would take note of this, the 130 would sell loads over here!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You never know what is on the drawing boards. There will be additions to the Evinrude lineup later this year.

I'm not saying that there isn't a market in performance boating. Yes, there is. It is a smaller segment of the population, though, and would be harder to gain market share in than say, center consoles, bay boats, bass boats, etc. Most performance boaters are pretty loyal to mother Merc and BRP sees it as a lot of effort for little return AT THIS TIME.... They want to gain market share as quickly as possible to get the product out there. That is why they target 4 strokes, that is the largest market share they have to gain from.

Also, BRP has learned from their past mistakes. They are not going to release a product until the warehouses are stocked and the product is ready to ship.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gas is about $2.50/gallon, that would about $.66/Liter. 6 gal for my little boat would be $15. 6 gallons in my lifted golf cart would last me near half a summer if I didn't take any long trail rides. Problem here is yes gas is relatively cheap because it is not taxed as much as other places, but this place is big and many people don't live close to work. Average commute is at least 20 minutes and well less than half of it city driving in this area. So if the average lower income person drives a truck with a longer than 20 minute commute they could spend a days wage for a weeks worth of fuel just to drive to work. That is 1/5 of your income. That would be a person making a little more per hour than you would at McDonalds roughly. But even half a days pay every week is a chunk out of your pay on top of continuous rising costs of insurance and everything else....and few raises in the past few years. Then again I live in Michigan where the economy is the worst in the country due to dying manufacturing/auto makers. Many people here make less today than they did 6+yr ago if you count inflation.

I think anyone looking at a bass/family/ski boat in that size/HP range would surely be considering a 130hp V4 were it available. V6 is just to heavy for a small boat (17 and less?)...even looks like the V4 weighs what an old V6 did according to one post here. My old 115 inline is what, 300lbs?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $.66/Litre At todays exchange rate it costs $1.77/Litre here!
    All the more reason to have a high HP in a small size, lightweight, green motor.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on how much you make. Figure an entry level young guy might take home 300-500/wk after tax, less here. The pay for degrees is even more pitiful unless you happen to be in just the right area, and college has become very expensive. If you count what you lost not working while in school, you might start out making 1/4 per year of what you spent (and may have huge student loans). Again I am in a dead state, but even a family member who works in a major wireless company (cellular) could only give 3% raise (inflation only, no raises) for last year. They are a national company making a profit and not based in MI.

There are a ton of small boats around here as we have a lot of small lakes. Tons of 10-18' boats of all kinds owned by people that are not rich. There are larger offshores too that run the great lakes, but those people can afford it I guess. Though I have talked to a boat repair guy complaining about slipped boats he fixed that had not been run in years. Maybe the little guy has given up on boating except for the PWCs but expensive gas sure ought to help smaller craft. If not there will just be less people boating. There is much less activity on my smaller lake than before gas went up 3yr ago. Not counting alum fishing and pontoon boats < 50hp, I'd say there is a 1/4 of the boats running now. Naturally I have to drive to the lake often, and pay for the place at the lake in addition to my boats. That eats up boat gas funds too.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the more reason for a small, economical, lightweight, high HP, clean & green machine ,,,,,,,,,, as I've said before bring on the 130!

When we raced the 115, the others with 130 Yams just had the edge on us ,,,,, now ,,,,, if we had a true 130 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 60+ wer-hey!

One question lads, why are you quoting "BRP". Has the "Jonnyrude" company changed hands?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In March 2001, Bombardier acquires the outboard engine assets of the bankrupt OMC company.

http://www.brp.com/en/Company/History/2000.htm

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah ha, the old grey matter is clicking into gear now, thanks.
    One more ,,,, Bombardier yes ,,, what about the RP element?
    I'd guess "Recreational Products" ????

Whoops ,,,,,,,,, just read the whole of your link.
    Last edited by waynekerr135; 03-22-2007 at 02:34 PM. Reason: silly grey matter

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The current 115 ETEC is a 60deg looper V4, 105cu-in.

Does this block interchange with the Fast Strike 2-stroke 60deg V4s? Would the ETEC powerhead mount on the carb midsection, or vice-versa?

I guess this hypothetical 130 ETEC would be the same block as the 115?
    78 Hydrostream Vandal - under restoration here: VANDAL RESTORATION THREAD
    86 21' Eliminator Daytona
    17' Badetta sandbar skiff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waynekerr135 View Post
    Ah ha, the old grey matter is clicking into gear now, thanks.
    One more ,,,, Bombardier yes ,,, what about the RP element?
    I'd guess "Recreational Products" ????

Whoops ,,,,,,,,, just read the whole of your link.
    Oh yeah, Bomb makes planes mostly. They sold off the RP, Recreational Products division back to the family that owned Bomb in the first palce was the story I got. The family was happy because that was the part of Bomb that makes money! The parent company (investors) think there is a big future in planes and wanted to invest more in it, so they sold RP off. Now it is owed by the original people that it had the best successes with in the past. Someone correct me if I got that wrong. So many expect they will start to move with OMC and performance things for it just like they do with the rest of the lines. See the new Cam Am products? They are rolling, just not seeing it yet with the OB motors but it was a mess to get sorted out when they bought OMC in the first place. They are pretty good with 2 stroke motors.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 115 E-tec is an awsome motor. My brother in law has a 115 on a 25' carolina skiff and it is fantastic! Sips gas and is even more stingey on the xd-100 oil. runs 5600rpm all day long at 45-47mph. You can actually hold a conversation with someone in the boat while running.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched a 90 E-Tec racing this weekend on a 16' English Phantom, 55mph.
    We ran a 115 Fitch, on a 18' English Phantom, 60mph.

Bring on the 130 E-Tec! Please !!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Gent View Post
    The current 115 ETEC is a 60deg looper V4, 105cu-in.

Does this block interchange with the Fast Strike 2-stroke 60deg V4s? Would the ETEC powerhead mount on the carb midsection, or vice-versa?

I guess this hypothetical 130 ETEC would be the same block as the 115?
    From what I understand, it is the same block.
    Same "cc", or as you guys say, "cu-in".

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waynekerr135 View Post
    Watched a 90 E-Tec racing this weekend on a 16' English Phantom, 55mph.
    We ran a 115 Fitch, on a 18' English Phantom, 60mph.

Bring on the 130 E-Tec! Please !!!!!
    WT... my 16 bayliner only does 43gps with the 85 force 55 would be better...lol! My open bow must weigh more...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast