Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do I really care where the profits go? I just buy the stock and bring the value right back to me here in America. Maybe if the shareholders held the a$$holes that ran GM accountable this wouldn't even be a discussion.
    Then GM takes their revenues and invests in factories in other countries when the evil Jap companies invest in factories here, not only creating jobs for autoworkers but also for many other sectors as well. As for the "profits" where do they really go, shareholders, the bank, squandered away with fat cat bonuses?
    Toy builds some of the same models both here and they are also imported from Japan. The cars built in Japan do not share all the same parts as the same exact model that is built here. I'm such a bad American cause I won't let Wagoner bend me over.

As for the toys, my damn piece of junk 14 year old SR5 pickup just developed an oil leak at the valve cover gasket. What a POS, all these years and other than oil changes I have to deal with this

As for towing, Freightliner FL-70 with a Mercedes diesel and Allison 6 speed is the ONLY way to go.
    Last edited by mr_velocity; 04-13-2007 at 08:34 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadAction View Post
    as always, gilmore is on crack and now JW agrees. I guess if you cant beat them, make fun of them on non-tangible points.
    Well.............at least the new Chevy/Toyota isn't as ugly as the Nissan (close though). Scott
    I'll be @ the bar ! & Listen to MORE Squarepusher !! Alcohol TYCOON !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mm Lets see, if toyota is so great why have they already recalled over 533,000 vehicles this year alone, 1.76 million last year and 2.2 mil the year before. Yeah thats damn good quality there. Just face it, yota sucks ass and their trucks are ****. Lets see one handle some real work.

And for those wanting to quote 1/4 mile times, I will take a stock f150 lightning with 380 hp, and run mid to high 13s all day. Better yet, put a pulley and tune on it to run 12s. Lets see the tundra do that. Oh yeah, and the lightning can still tow plenty and haul enough for most people.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a lot of arguing over BS. We dont care about how much money rich people are making, we want American workers in jobs. That being said, I used to be a Chevy guy untill I got a Cummins. My latest 1 ton 4 door truck, with a Cummins and a 6 speed stick (slushboxes are for cripples and people who cant drive) and its awsome. 27mpg, 600+hp, I never have to downshift towing my 20,000lb Camper, I spank Vettes and Vipers like they are nothing, and have only changed the oil once in 40,000+ miles. As soon as I got it, I put a bypass oil filter on it and changed the oil. Every 10,000 miles I send some off to be analized and it always comes back good. Oil is so clean that you can barely see it on the stick. Oh yea, I turn 14-16mpg with the camper behind me. And how many other companies have the same # of motors over 1,000,000 miles? I have personaly owned 2 Cummins, and a good friend who runs hot shot for a living and bought his new in 93 has 1,700,000+ on his. Still puts food on the table for his family, so why replace it? Only thing thats ever been done is oil changes and clutches. Maybe a turbo but I cant remember.
    Last edited by Redneck; 05-08-2007 at 12:17 AM.
    1991 Liberator 19' 2.5 Merc

Light, fast single seater

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    American's in jobs?

This might be a touchy subject, but isn't something like 80 - 90% of the Toyota made in the US? While how much of the Ford, Dodge and Chevs are actually made in the US as opposed to in Canada and Mexico??? Buy a Chev, keep Canadians in jobs!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was agreeing with that. Who care where the big shots are, either way their money will end up in the hands of crooked politicians, US or Japan. The workers are the ones who count. But, when I got my truck, the only thing that mattered was that I got my Cummins. Only way it would matter is if Chevy and or Ford ran them too. But, I hate Ford, and lost my respect for Chevy when they made their trucks look like the Avalanch.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is nothing american made about a toyota. It is assembled here but thats it. The only reason they began assembling the trucks here is to get around the import tarrifs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by obrien View Post
    There is nothing american made about a toyota. It is assembled here but thats it. The only reason they began assembling the trucks here is to get around the import tarrifs.
    At least they are keeping Americans working, putting the trucks together. Some guy making $5 a day puts Chevys together now. Most of them anyways. There have been a lot of layoffs at the local chevy plant. More jobs moved out of the country. I dont like to buy from a company who cares more about profit than the workers they lay off. Toyota could do the same thing, and sell their trucks cheaper and still make profit, but they dont. The japs believe in giving back because they know that sooner or later, the "american made" cars will have all their parts labled in spanish. And with the bill that bush has been pushing, there has been a lot more hostility against anything/anyone from mexico. Wont be long and I know some workers at GM will get laid off to hire illegal's at 1/4 of the pay, and they will torch the place. Its happening. I really think Bush is too stupid to see what he is about to make happen. I now think that bush has stooped lower than old Honest (yea, right) Abe. I do believe this will lead to yet another civil war. First one was because the government screwed farmers, now they are screwing blue coller workers.

Oh yea, I had a Toyota once. 03 Tacoma. 7 months and I got rid of it. I got dents from bug splats. Total lightweight hunk of crap, but you couldnt kill the motor. Buy it was a useless truck. didnt tow, wouldnt carry anything in the bed, and got crap fuel milage. My 1-ton gets TWICE the fuel milage.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    the only trucks assembled in mexico are avalanches and some colorados/h3s. no matter, GM sources 70 to 90% of their north american vehicles from american made parts, which is more than any other manufacturer. FACT. they have a company policy of BUY AMERICAN. 90%+ of the machine tools, welders, CNC equipment, etc etc, is all american built. not to mention the powertrain assemblys, casting facilitys, and everything else that goes along with building a car is right here. (like making a mold for a plastic AC knob a certain way mid production run so some cry baby fags will stop bitching about the "feel")

Now, keep on buying that Japanese sh1t, and the domestic car companys will start shipping more jobs to cheap labor areas to compete. the japs believe in giving back, because they don't have crooked ass hole union leaders and politicians (among others) to pay. oh yea, and the pensions that GM pays to retirees is MORE than toyota pays ALL THEIR CURRENT employees. $2000 dollars each car before its even assembled.

i like all these people that scream how patriotic they are, then when it comes time to put their money up, they all of the sudden come up with some excuse to justify themselves. whatever, have fun selling your country out.
    > Stainless steel Merc cowling plates - $110 shipped TYD - LINK <

1979 16' Action Marine/2.5L Merc S3000 - Metalflake Maniac
    1984 18' Contender Tunnel/2.4 Merc Bridgeport

"Where does the love of God go, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the only trucks assembled in mexico are avalanches and some colorados/h3s. no matter, GM sources 70 to 90% of their north american vehicles from american made parts, which is more than any other manufacturer. FACT. they have a company policy of BUY AMERICAN. 90%+ of the machine tools, welders, CNC equipment, etc etc, is all american built. not to mention the powertrain assemblys, casting facilitys, and everything else that goes along with building a car is right here. (like making a mold for a plastic AC knob a certain way mid production run so some cry baby fags will stop bitching about the "feel")

Now, keep on buying that Japanese sh1t, and the domestic car companys will start shipping more jobs to cheap labor areas to compete. the japs believe in giving back, because they don't have crooked ass hole union leaders and politicians (among others) to pay. oh yea, and the pensions that GM pays to retirees is MORE than toyota pays ALL THEIR CURRENT employees. $2000 dollars each car before its even assembled.

i like all these people that scream how patriotic they are, then when it comes time to put their money up, they all of the sudden come up with some excuse to justify themselves. whatever, have fun selling your country out.
    I drive a Dodge. If Chevy had the Cummins instead, I would own a Chevy. If Nissan had the Cummins, I would have a Nissan. I could care less about the truck, I want a Cummins diesel, and thats it. Only motor worth a damn to me. My motor was built in Texas too. Just an FYI, It was the Union that made GM buy tools that are American made. After September 11th, because of "losses" Chevy was allowed to break the contract they had and buy cheaper equipment made over seas. Unions have spent years trying to keep American companys buying American. Unions do what they can to keep companies from moving overseas to save money as well. But, because some ragheads flew planes into buildings, they gave up wat to much power, and GM is making more overseas plants. Unions also have spent yearskeeping GM, Ford and Dodge from hiring illegals. The company doesnt care, whatever is cheaper works for them.

I used to be the most dyed in the wool Chevy guy you would ever meet, untill I ended up involved with some of the union vs. company crap. Spend a while as a mediator between the unions and companies, you will learn who the scum is. After dealing with Chevy and Ford (and I almost got involved in the Ford vs. Navistar suit over the new powerchoke, all fords f-up, navistar did nothing wrong) I decided I would never buy another new car or truck from either of them. I watched Chevy try to fire a guy because he bought his dad a Mustang (old mans deam car, but never could afford one) then they "forgot" to put him back on payroll for 3 months. Sorry, I wanted to knock teeth out of the company lawyers head. Ford broke several contracts, then Clinton got a wire transfer from them and told them he was giving ford a pardon. Nowhere near the problems with Mopar, but they had plenty themselves. Now, let see how the japs keep unions out of their shops. They take care of their employees. Thats it. Give them a fair wage, decent benefits, and way more room. American companies are just looking for ways to close their doors in the US and more to pakistan. Trust me there. And, they all try to tell you they are for the American worker, but its a lie. EVERY SINGLE auto maker is just out to make more money. PERIOD.

Personaly, I wouldnt own another Toyota, mine was junk, and didnt do anything well. Only reason my motorcycles are Jap is because there isnt an American bike that has the same speed, power, reliability and handling to be competitive in racing. Sorry, but my 03 GSXR 1000 has 128,000 miles on it, and I havent even replaced the clutch. It has been raced, stunted, and I have even tried to blow it up, and it still runs great. Show me an american bike that cost less than 10k new that would weigh less than 400lbs, have more than 150hp, and take my abuse without a whimper. I used to ride harleys and buells, but not anymore.

I dont have a thing in the world against you buying American. I encourage it. But, do your research. How many times have charges been brought againts DELCO for claiming a part was made in the US, yet the part in the box was labled as having been made elsewhere. Over 7,000 times when I got out of that stuff in 02.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yea, who makes the Duramax for Chevy? Isuzu. Are they an American company? No. Isuzu is in charge Chevys medium and heavy duty trucks. Yup, an American company put a others in charge because they were better at it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dspencer View Post
    I had a 22RE fuel injected motor in a 5 speed 86 toyota long bed. I put 240k miles on it, mostly pulling my bass boat. That plus a few 6000 pulls with a fireplace trailer. I replaced the starter contacts. A radiator(the replacement was too small that eventually heated the engine enough to blow the headgasket at 240k, my fault). The clutch at 170k or so.
    I got 26 hwy mileage unloaded, 18 pulling the bass boat. During the summer I used to call the AC compressor my boost button.

It was rated as a one ton. Put 8, 16 foot garage doors on the rack many many times. That was without a doubt the roughest riding truck I have ever driven. I wish they still sold them. I'd sell my Cummins and go small again. I might be able to get 20mpg with my Allison.
    cough bull****, cough

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JW View Post
    You still didn't answer my question.

How does buying my Mexican made Chevy Avalanche save an American auto worker job?

Shallow answer you say, informed answer everyone else says..................
    You need to get passed the people who assemble the vehicles and where it is assembled that is such a small part of it. Look at who supplies the parts, who designs and engineers the parts, where those people live, where they shop, what small business they support, etc. The trickle down effect is huge. Take a simple economics class.....you will learn a lot.

The LOCAL economic impact from the big three is unelievable. The big three in turn keeps numerous suppliers in business, who have their own suppliers, who have their own suppliers, all the way down to 2 and 3 man shops. ALL of those people spend money on every day items, hobbies, travel, etc. As all of these people are losing their jobs, everywhere they spent money is struggling because you bought a toyota.....HOWEVER Toyota, and their suppliers in Japan and their local coffee shops are doing great, because you bought a toyota.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I just finished reading page 6 and 7

GET OVER the rich guys who work for the auto company, and think about where they spend THEIR MONEY!!

Do you own a small business? Golf Course? Have a furniture store?

Not in Michigan anymore...why? Cuz the auto industry is struggling and people are losing their jobs, causing those types of places to move out of state.....perfect example, VICIOUS POWERBOATS right here on this board. I believe he mentioned his wife lost her job, probably due to a cut that had to be made in Michigan, because of struggling manufacturing. He also probably has not sold as many boats as he has in the past. Why you ask? Probably because Big Three, Tier One, Tier Two, Tier Three, and everyday business are dropping like flies around here, as a direct result of the US automakers struggling.

These are the people who are affected when you buy that kick ass toyota.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast