Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have to agree with Cobra1racer. When it comes to the all round towing package it's hard to beat American. Sure the Jappa's are adequate, and on the 4 lane more than acceptable, but everytime you pull an heavy load and go through a gourge or need olot of brakes, it's like stepping on egg shells, every movement has to be light else something will break.

It's not all about pulling power, it's about not letting 'the tail wag the dog', and here I believe American wins hands down. Oh, by the way, an LQ9 WILL develop more than 1000hp on a STOCK bottom end, (along with the LS2, LS7, 1uzfe, RB28 through RB36 and a few others)

Here is a favourite choice for a standard Toyota 4L V8 engine round here
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02215-1.JPG  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have come a long way since the T100, 4 banger standard optional v6. It's just a matter of time before you see the big stuff. And I'm sure they will have a turbo D. Um I think that the Niisan Skyline would spank that toy all day long. The 500+ ponies with a single turbo and an inline six at that. I have a vid if you want to see it spank the supra and other sports cars. I know guys with that supra motor in some old z cars as well. It is a nice motor. But Hp's don't pull, torque pulls.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Graf
    The toyota is a half ton! The 4.30 gear you dont like would not work on a chevy 4 speed automatic. It would be WAY to low. It has to be a 6 speed automatic to work. The final drive ratio is higher on the toyota than the chevy because of the six speed auto even when using the 4.30 gear.
    Well good old American HP does not need a 4:30 rear and a six speed!!!

It would burn the tires off!
    “The bitterness of poor quality & service remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The toyota is a half ton! The 4.30 gear you dont like would not work on a chevy 4 speed automatic. It would be WAY to low. It has to be a 6 speed automatic to work. The final drive ratio is higher on the toyota than the chevy because of the six speed auto even when using the 4.30 gear.

You guys who dont like the toyotas size from previuos years are right. They probably couldnt handle much in the towing dept. But the new toyota dwarfs the previous models and this will make a BIG difference in how it tows. Still it wont be able to tow like the bigger 3/4 and 1 ton domestic trucks. Their going for the market that sells the most trucks and thats in the 1/2 ton dept. Kurt
    a 6 speed automatic negates any advantage of a 4.30 gear. sure its 4.3, but instead of having a 20% power loss through the drivetrain, you have a 30% loss. slushbox.

Stryker, 10-15k between oil changes and no probems? unless they were changing filters every 3k and adding oil, you are full of sh1t. Its the most ignorant ass thing in the world to think that ANY mechanical piece of equipment will last over another under abuse like that. or does toyota make their engines out of some super secret japanese steel unobtanium composite material that uses dirt as a lubricant? its better metal cause its japanese11!!1 right
    > Stainless steel Merc cowling plates - $110 shipped TYD - LINK <

1979 16' Action Marine/2.5L Merc S3000 - Metalflake Maniac
    1984 18' Contender Tunnel/2.4 Merc Bridgeport

"Where does the love of God go, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BMW's and the like go 15k between oil changes, per factory spec. Why cuz the use Mobil 1, and the mobil 1 filter. I put it in the wife's PT, it runs smoother and purs for a change. But the chevy gets it every 3,000 miles. Oh and the old dodge never had an oil change, it leaked a bunch. So on the 6 speed can you pic a gear. I don't think that the trany would last long towing some weight in 6th gear. Allison is good, had one in the Volvo class 8. It would break the tires loose with 40,000 pounds sitting on them, with out the interlock in and climbing a tall curb or the like.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea the 318 is a real motor. One engine 2 tranys and 2 rear ends,1979
    D100. They don't build them like that any more.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra1racer
    Um I think that the Niisan Skyline would spank that toy all day long. The 500+ ponies with a single turbo and an inline six at that. I have a vid if you want to see it spank the supra and other sports cars. I know guys with that supra motor in some old z cars as well. It is a nice motor. But Hp's don't pull, torque pulls.
    Stock for stock they have the same 1/4 mile but the supra has a higher top end

The worlds fastest inline 6 stock block turbo door slammer is supra powered
    not trying to argue but well the proofs in the pudding

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4kvG_EDRVk
    6.57 213 mph

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wPko...elated&search=
    6.6 209 mph

The supra motor has a larger stroke than a skyline so its impossible for the skyline to make more tq

.........................SKYLINE:..........................SUPRA
    BORE X Stroke____86.00mm x 73.70mm________ 86mm x 86mm
    Rod Stroke ratio:___1.166____________________ 1
    Displacement:_____2.8_______________________3.0
    HP:______________280 hp___________________320 hp

The only advantage if you even take it as such is the skyline is awd but when your going this fast its only a handicap

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no way in hell your brother was getting 18 miles per gallon pulling a 5000 plus pound car and trailer thru the mountains. It will never happen diesel or gas. I AM NOT a toyota lover and I never have owned one. I drive a 2000 F250 super duty 4x4 with a 7.3 diesel with minor mods with 170,000 miles that is dynoed at 292hp and 602 ft lbs of torque at the rear wheels. If you mod the new diesels with simple bolt ons, you can go over 400+ hp and 700 ft lbs of torque at the rear wheels and WAY above that if you want to. But were not talking diesels here.

Some numbers from Truck Trend on the chevy vs toyota 1/2 tons.

0-60 chevy 5.3 7.7 seconds
    0-60 toyota 6.0 seconds
    Quarter mile chevy 5.3 15.8 @89.1 Average fuel mileage thru tests 13.9 mpg
    Quarter mile toyota 14.6 @ 93.6 Average fuel mileage thru tests 14.9 mpg

You guys might to read up on the toyota before you do any more posts. This might be a serious half ton.

Kurt
    I knew someone would call liar, and they're always the people who own another type of truck. I would have never believed it either, so I don't blame you a bit, but this is why everyone in my family (Ford lovers and all) now own 99-07 Chevy/GMC's.

As far as oil changes, GM uses a monitoring system that calculates engine hours, miles, etc. I use it and usually go 8-10k between changes. Nothing but Mobil 1 full syn. I'm now over 100k, with $0 repairs. My Dad's 99 was treated the same way and has over 200k with 0 engine/drivetrain issues (or anything else but that one ABS module). It was still regularly pulling an 18' enclosed trailer hauling cars (not getting that good of mileage with the wind resistance of that trailer!) but still running and working like a champ. He sold it to a friend (to get an 07 2500 Duramax/Allison) and it's still rolling like new.

I know Toyotas have always been reliable, and if I would purchase a Japanese car, I wouldn't have a problem owning one. I just seriously doubt they can measure up, but we'll see if they can perform and last like this. The GM trucks are just beyond anything I would ever imagine if I didn't own one.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little while ago my dad had to have a power window regulator put in his Buick. He showed me the regulator and it had made in japan on it. About the same time was considering buying his next car as a jap car, since they had jap parts in them anyways. I told him that would be a smart thing to do, since the jap parts tore up first, it was in his best interest to buy a car completly made in japan.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1bad

I'm sooo mad right now, I'm in a friggin' rage, you disagreed with Me, I'm really going off... Is that the response you were looking for..? If I would have known you had a different opinion, I would've stated 40,000 between changes... You should get a sex change back to being a chain smokin Bar whore to better fit your personallity for trying to stir crap, you miserable tub of ****.. I forgot to mention that your opinion wasn't important to Me... How long do you think a new Chevy will go before the change oil light comes on, I can verify that it's more than 10,000 miles a brand spank new engine with the factory oil fill... Engine service life target of these engines is 300,000 miles if I do recall correctly...
    Last edited by Ted Stryker; 02-10-2007 at 11:55 AM.
    Kevin Kiser

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Stryker
    , I can verify that it's more than 10,000 miles a brand spank new engine with the factory oil fill...
    Not gonna get into your rant!

But the OIL CHANGE LIGHT comes on at every 6k interval from last reset.

It only a mileage record.

Now, if you turn your key on and pump the gas like a old tractor before you start the engine you just reset the program.
    Some still crank a car like that today and are resetting the PCM every time they crank the car.

Al
    “The bitterness of poor quality & service remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie M
    A little while ago my dad had to have a power window regulator put in his Buick. He showed me the regulator and it had made in japan on it. About the same time was considering buying his next car as a jap car, since they had jap parts in them anyways. I told him that would be a smart thing to do, since the jap parts tore up first, it was in his best interest to buy a car completly made in japan.
    That is the Dumbest thing I have ever herd.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ i was gonna say the same thing but didnt feel like typing it lol

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Al

{QUOTE} The beauty of the GMOLS is that it will automatically adjust the oil change interval based engine characteristics, driving habits and the climate in which the vehicle is operated. For instance, mild highway driving in a warm climate will maximize the interval between oil changes. Depending on the vehicle, this could be in excess of 7000 miles and as high as 12,000 miles. On the other hand, short trip driving in cold a climate may limit the oil change to 3000 miles or less. In general, most people that drive a combination of city and highway find that the GMOLS will indicate an oil change every 5000 to 6000 miles. Additionally, most people maintain consistent driving habits. Therefore, their mileage between oil changes will be consistent. Changes in climate will affect this somewhat. You can also find where it say's that it's NOT a mileage record, but rather a calculation based on engine revolutions, engine temperature, driving conditions etc...
    Last edited by Ted Stryker; 02-10-2007 at 02:27 PM.
    Kevin Kiser

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Handy Cap? AWD is why Audi was kicked out of racing. It was an advantage. Skyline any day. But how amny Skylines are in the states, very few. Supra's on the other hand, a bunch. Why would a tuner in the states want to spend money on a Skyline when they have no customer base, unlike the supra.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast