Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_velocity View Post
    Do I dare admit it, well yes!! Went out today and brought home a new Tundra Crew Max with the 5.7. Heck I don't tow so the extra room in the cab is nice for the kids. With the 5.7 the truck is a rocket....as far as trucks go. Best part, Toyota has 0% financing for 48 months so I even got to drive it off the lot using their money. That and I talked the $40K sticker down to $35K. There are a bunch of these, at least the loaded ones, sitting at the dealers.

Interesting piece on the window sticker. It said
    Body and chasis parts 80% US 20% Japan
    Engine and drivetrain parts 100% US.

So for those that think these things are just assembled here, looks like they are sourcing more parts for this truck in the US than some other "US" manufacturers that source their parts from Mexico or Canada. It kinda made me feel a little better driving it off the lot.
    parts are still made in japan, go to the dealer and ask for a part for your toyota. it will come in a box that says "made in japan". their money is so undervalued that once the parts are shipped over here, all the handling of the parts in subassemblys by our higher wage workers gives them the right to label the content on the assembled vehicle as made in the USA. Go read the trade laws if you care, its all political bull$%&^. I work for an aftermarket parts supplier and touch OEM Toyota parts everyday, I rarely see a part labled "made in the USA".
    John E.
    HydroStream Vandal 140 EVINRUDE 69mph GPS
    Black'99 SVT Lightning #1767 of 4000
    If It Ain't Blown It Sucks!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chynewalkr View Post
    parts are still made in japan, go to the dealer and ask for a part for your toyota. it will come in a box that says "made in japan". their money is so undervalued that once the parts are shipped over here, all the handling of the parts in subassemblys by our higher wage workers gives them the right to label the content on the assembled vehicle as made in the USA. Go read the trade laws if you care, its all political bull$%&^. I work for an aftermarket parts supplier and touch OEM Toyota parts everyday, I rarely see a part labled "made in the USA".
    Sucks if its true. Some Toyota models are manufactured both in the US and Japan for sale on the US market. Why do the cars "assembled" in the US use different parts then the cars assembled in Japan?

Overall I don't have any loyalty to any company. If so many of these truck purest really cared then they wouldn't buy anything foreign including those that oursource technology like IBM, AT&T, Verizon, Dell, etc. I was hoping the parts info would be true but I bet those Americans that assembled my truck are really proud of their product and are happy I bought it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_velocity View Post
    Sucks if its true. Some Toyota models are manufactured both in the US and Japan for sale on the US market.

lets get this straight! and i mean straight!

TOYOTA DOES NOT "MANUFACTURE" cars or trucks in the USA! They assemble them!
    They are not created, designed, machined or even close to being "MANUFACTURED" in the USA!

Understand this! And understand it well!
    The total USA workforce by Americans for Toyota is smaller than th GM employees n The 1930's!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get it! I am so f**king tired of this toyotagama!
    And the employees they do have work for much less than others in the industry! It' the DAM TRUTH!
    “The bitterness of poor quality & service remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Al View Post
    lets get this straight! and i mean straight!

TOYOTA DOES NOT "MANUFACTURE" cars or trucks in the USA! They assemble them!
    They are not created, designed, machined or even close to being "MANUFACTURED" in the USA!

Understand this! And understand it well!
    The total USA workforce by Americans for Toyota is smaller than th GM employees n The 1930's!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get it! I am so f**king tired of this toyotagama!
    And the employees they do have work for much less than others in the industry! It' the DAM TRUTH!

Show me ONE piece of printed industry or auto mag material the shows the following to be FALSE. Just one. I've found multiple sources for the following information, so show some facts instead of your biased opinion.

"Development of the new Tundra was spearheaded by Toyota's U.S.-based facilities. Product planning began at TMS headquarters in Southern California. All engineering development was directed by the Toyota Technical Center in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Styling, inside and out, was the work of Toyota's Calty Research and Design Centers in Newport Beach, California and Ann Arbor, Michigan. Finally, the new Tundra will be built at Toyota Motor Manufacturing in Princeton, Indiana and Toyota's new truck plant in San Antonio, Texas."

Or

"Yes, it is true. The '07 Tundra is a big truck. The sort of "Detroit iron" that one associates with, well, Detroit. This probably explains why, in part, the upper body was developed and engineered by Toyota Technical Center ... in Ann Arbor, due west of Detroit. That's right, a bunch of folks who live, eat, and breathe the same way/things as their brethren who work at the companies renown for their full-size pickups. They were also responsible for central control of the development there in southeastern Michigan."

Or

"(JACKSON, Mississippi) – Governor Haley Barbour said today Toyota Auto Body Co., Ltd. (TAB) will build a $180 million plant in North Mississippi, becoming the first announced supplier to Toyota’s new auto assembly plant in Blue Springs. TAB officials made the decision public in Japan overnight.

The facility, to be named Auto Parts Manufacturing Mississippi Inc., will employ about 260 workers and will begin production by 2010 to coincide with the start-up of Toyota’s new Highlander SUV plant."

Or

Lamar Alexandar (US Senator) Tenn: The company estimates that its total investment in the plant over 20 years will total $373 million. The plant will cast molten aluminum into engine blocks that will be used by all of the company's North American engine plants, Toyota Senior Vice President Dennis Cuneo said.

OR
    "The product that most closely demonstrates that goal is the all-American Toyota Avalon. Introduced in the 1995 model year as a replacement for the Cressida, the Avalon represents the research efforts of Toyota's Ann Arbor, Mich., Technical Center with help from support facilities in California, Arizona and Massachusetts (near MIT in Boston). At Ann Arbor the primary activities includes such things as vehicle parts and material design, regulatory affairs, and emission certification. California's Calty Design Research (Newport Beach) does the styling. Toyota's total North American R&D employment: about 750 total, of which about 600 are in Ann Arbor. Brownlee says the total engineering staff numbers 550 with about 200 support associates."

http://www.industryweek.com/ReadArti...rticleID=11301

I guess everyone in the industry have been completely fooled just like me

So try Google or Ask or Yahoo or whatever your favorite search engine might be. Find me proof that any of this is completely wrong.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Big Al, did you read this months Consumer Reports?
    Nothing fast right now
    My URL
    Checkmate boats message forum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an old one too.

A new study by the Center For Automotive Research in Ann Arbor, Michigan, says the steady expansion of the Toyota Motor Corp. base in the U.S. has made a substantial contribution to the nation's economy.

The study, which was financed by Toyota, estimates that the automaker's $13.4 billion investment in the U.S. yielded $14.4 billion in wages in 2003.

Sean McAlinden, CAR vice president of research, said that the new study represented the first time CAR had examined the impact of a single manufacturer on a regional and national economy. The study looked at the impact of Toyota's manufacturing plants in Buffalo, West Virginia; Georgetown, Kentucky; Huntsville, Alabama; Princeton, Indiana; and Fremont, California, CAR officials said.

"The study illustrates the importance of foreign direct investment in the United States, which is largely responsible for the U.S. motor vehicle industry first recovering and then maintaining its traditional position as the largest national automotive industry in the world," said Kim Hill, the director of CAR's automotive communities program.

"Toyota is one of the major international leading the trend," he added. "The study also emphasizes the many intangible benefits of Toyota's U.S. investment, such as innovation, productivity performance, environmental performance, and increases in product quality that have had a ripple effect within the industry, local communities, and throughout the entire U.S. economy," Hill said. Toyota's emphasis on productivity and quality are now studied in other industries.

Dennis Cueno, senior vice president for Toyota Motor North America, said that the company was proud to be an integrated part of the American economy.

In addition, automotive-related jobs generally pay more, he noted. The average annual salary at Toyota Motor North America was $63,872, which was substantially higher than the average compensation in the non-farm private sector across the U.S., where pay averaged $26,902.

The study noted that Toyota employed 29,135 workers in its U.S. product development, manufacturing, and sales and marketing operations, while an additional 74,060 workers were directly employed in new-vehicle, dealer-related operations.

In addition, the study concluded that jobs at suppliers and spin-off jobs created by spending from Toyota employees added another 312,000 jobs to the economy.

The study also estimate that the new Toyota pickup truck plant in San Antonio will support another 9000 jobs in Texas and produce $460 million in compensation in Texas once it is fully operational. The San Antonio plant is scheduled to open next year and Toyota officials have announced plans for a new plant in southern Ontario between Detroit and Toronto.

Toyota has been making an effort to discuss its contribution to the U.S. economy during a recent advertising campaign. The Wall Street Journal speculated last week that at least part of the reason for the new campaign is designed to deflect criticism from the Japanese automaker as General Motors and the Ford Motor Co. struggle to hang on to market share while closing plants and getting rid of employees.

McAlinden also said the study points up the importance of auto manufacturing generally to the economy. Auto manufacturing by its very nature has a huge impact on the economy and accounts for more manufacturing jobs than any other sector of the economy. Twenty different manufacturing industries of all descriptions sell products to the auto industry, he noted. No other single industry is linked to so much in the U.S. manufacturing sector or generates so much retail business and employment, Hill added.

Hill added that Toyota's operations had a major impact on 14 different states, including several, such as North Carolina, where it doesn't have any kind of manufacturing presence. Another state that gets a major lift from Toyota is Ohio, where Toyota supports an estimated 11,000 jobs in supplier plants.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go GM America!!!!
    General Motors de Mexico leads automotive companies in Mexico in sales. It began operations in this country in 1935 and today has efficient and modern manufacturing plants in Toluca, State of Mexico; Silao, Guanajuato; Ramos Arizpe, Coahuila; and in Mexico City. GM's investment is substantial as Mexico's single largest private employer. GM Mexico assembles many models for the domestic sales and worldwide export. It markets the Chevrolet, Pontiac, Cadillac and Saab brands, and Fiat.

GM Mexico Exports to:
    United States -- Cavalier, Sunfire, Silverado, Suburban, Aztek
    Canada -- Cavalier, Sunfire, Silverado, Suburban
    IPC - Cavalier, Sunfire, Silverado, Suburban, Suburban RHD
    Argentina – Cavalier
    Chile - Cavalier, Suburban
    Ecuador – Cavalier
    Peru – Cavalier
    Central America and Caribbean - Cavalier, Sunfire, Chevy, Chevy RHD Silverado, Suburban, Kodiak

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That last one may be a little old, as my Avalanche was imported from Mexico, and it was a 2004....................................
    Nothing fast right now
    My URL

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who invests in the US, American Automakers???

Comparing side by side maps of automotive supplier plant density in 1980 and 2005, as Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago economist Thomas Klier did in May 2006, reveals an industry whose complexion is clearing, even as blemishes remain.
    In a January 2006 white paper from the University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute, Walter S. McManus, PhD, director of the Automotive Analysis Division, noted that U.S. manufacturing employment fell by 19 percent from 1998 to 2005, but motor vehicles and parts employment as a fraction of all manufacturing was up 0.4 percentage points from 1998 to 2005. "From a national perspective, the industry is healthy," he wrote.
    Conway Data's New Plant Database reflects that hesitant optimism, with 1,003 U.S. projects between Oct. 2004 through September 2006, up from 889 projects between October 2002 and September 2004. But before the large investments by Kia in Georgia and Honda in Indiana, the biggest automotive news of 2006 was DaimlerChrysler's planned investment of US$1 billion in Toluca, Mexico. A look at the industry's investment patterns reveals Mexico may indeed be part of the way forward for a host of companies.
    CRUISIN': On the same day in March 2006 that DaimlerChrysler celebrated the making of its 1 millionth PT Cruiser in Toluca, Mexico, the company announced a $1-billion investment in the plant and adjacent supplier parks.

Ford Motor Co. for the first time has put up its existing plants as collateral for more financing, even as it plans to close 16 of them, including seven assembly plants by 2010. When added to the nine overall plant closures planned by General Motors, that's 25. But even as these and other car makers continue to perpetuate the infamous "jobs bank" that pays union workers to do nothing, their investments and others continue to pay a Mexican work force to do something at new plants and expansions:

Ford in June announced upgrades of two assembly plants in Cuautitlan and Hermosillo and an engine plant in Chihuahua – though it was quick to say that the new assembly plant that is part of its "Way Forward" plan will not necessarily be in Hermosillo, as leaked documents had suggested.
    In San Luis Potosi, General Motors is investing at least $650 million in a new assembly plant that could employ up to 2,400 people.
    • In Guadalajara, Honda is investing $52 million to increase assembly capacity.
    • Nissan is investing $800 million in its plant in Aguascaliente, and $30 million in Cuernavaca.
    • Truck makers are in on the action too: Commercial Vehicle Group is growing in Agua Prieta, while Kenworth Mexicana is investing $78 million in Mexicali.
    "Ford has been doing business in Mexico since 1925, and we were the first automaker ever in the country," said Mark Fields, Ford's president of the Americas, at that June announcement. "We remain committed to a new low-cost manufacturing facility. But we have made no decisions on where it will be located. The key to success will be high quality and low cost, and that certainly can be in the U.S., Canada or Mexico."
    ROOM ENOUGH TO DRIVE A TRUCK THROUGH: November 17, 2006, was the date the new $1.28-billion Toyota Motor Manufacturing Tundra truck plant opened in San Antonio, Texas. The plant's investment was originally estimated at $800 million in 2003, but grew to approximately $1.28 billion because of a capacity expansion for 50,000 more trucks; rising material costs, especially for steel; and additional infrastructure needed for the 21 on-site suppliers. Those suppliers will employ 2,100 at full production, and have cumulatively invested approximately $300 million.

"Mexico remains an excellent business environment for Ford, and it will remain a key manufacturing location for our global automotive operations as a result of these investments." said Louise Goeser, Ford of Mexico president and CEO.
    In San Luis Potosi, General Motors' investment takes advantage of the new highway infrastructure linking the area to Silao – where GM operates another plant – as well as to the newly forming transport corridor between the port of Lazaro Cardenas and the U.S. border. In addition, the San Luis Potosi-Zacatecas highway, linking the area to Ciudad Juarez, has been expanded. Next will come a highway linking Cerritos to Tamaulipas.
    The economic impact forecast of the plant includes a potential $440 million in annual purchases from Mexican suppliers and 16,500 indirect jobs. Meanwhile, the compensation split at the plant is dramatic, according to the groundbreaking announcement from the state, which touts average wages of $12,000 for workers and $52,000 for management.
    In Toluca, DaimlerChrysler's $1-billion investment includes upgrades to the Toluca Assembly Plant, the creation of two supplier parks, and additional operational improvements. The improvements at the Toluca Assembly Plant will include an all-new body shop with state-of-the-art manufacturing capabilities. New robotics will have the capability to make necessary tool changes automatically within cycle time, thus amplifying the plant's flexibility. The new and jointly funded supplier parks will provide head liners, cockpits, front-end modules and front and rear suspensions.
    The investment follows on major investment made at the company's other major Mexican complex in Saltillo.
    "The decision to invest in Mexico would not have been possible without the support of the union and the Mexican government's commitment to the automotive sector," said Chrysler Group Chief Operating Officer Eric Ridenour in March 2006. "Our Mexican Manufacturing Operations have earned this investment by embracing flexible work force processes."
    In addition to an improving transportation infrastructure, the industry's supply pipelines are improving in both the before- and after-market. Among recent investments in the country are a flurry of high-ticket tire plants, as well as a $250-million automotive steel plant from Korea-based juggernaut Posco in Altamira, Tamaulipas.
    In November Alabama celebrated the five-year anniversary of the Honda plant in Lincoln by releasing a new study showing an annual $4.5-billion economic impact and responsibility for creating 45,000 jobs in the state. In 2005, the plant had a total payroll of $252.4 million, or $54,443 per worker. Industry infrastructure is coming into its own at the right time, as a Kia plant takes shape on the Georgia state line. Supplier build-up in northern Alabama alone in recent months includes investments by Topre and Rehau in Cullman and North American Lighting in Muscle Shoals. Meanwhile, the state's training infrastructure has continued to flower, most recently with the 2006 implementation of a new degree in automotive manufacturing technology through the Consortium for Alabama Regional Center for Automotive Manufacturing (CARCAM), a program put together by five community colleges and based at Central Alabama Community College in Talladega.
    Last edited by mr_velocity; 08-12-2007 at 08:30 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JW View Post
    That last one may be a little old, as my Avalanche was imported from Mexico, and it was a 2004....................................

OLE' !!! Scott
    I'll be @ the bar ! & Listen to MORE Squarepusher !! Alcohol TYCOON !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing's for sure, I'd rather buy imported Mexican goods than the same goods made in China!
    Nothing fast right now
    My URL

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing's for sure, I'd rather buy imported Mexican goods than the same goods made in China!
    Another old one but none the less.

General Motors is to import a V6 engine from China to install in a planned Chevrolet sport-utility vehicle to be built in Canada, the company's first use of a Chinese-made engine in North America, Bloomberg News reported, citing Canadian Auto Workers (CAW) chief Buzz Hargrove.

Hargrove told Bloomberg that GM would ship the engines from one of its joint ventures in China to Ingersoll, Ontario, where it would build the sport-utility from 2004. Hargrove added that GM, which in September reached a new three-year contract with the CAW, told his union that it does not have the capacity to build the engine in Canada. "We didn't see much that we could do to change the decision. It's an engine they are already building in China," Hargrove told Bloomberg.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found out about Chinese parts in engines in Dodge trucks. My buddy lost his bearings in his '99 dodge with the 360, and when he went to get parts for it, they were all sourced from China. I guess Dodge has been using chinese parts for years in the old-tech engines that nobody would have guessed had any foreign parts in them............
    Nothing fast right now
    My URL

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Good stuff !!!!

I found out about Chinese parts in engines in Dodge trucks. My buddy lost his bearings in his '99 dodge with the 360, and when he went to get parts for it, they were all sourced from China. I guess Dodge has been using chinese parts for years in the old-tech engines that nobody would have guessed had any foreign parts in them............

Ole' & Sushi (sorry Egg Noodle) !!!! Scott

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down SCREW the UAW

Either one are BETTER than the UAW HACKS that put them together here in the good old the USA !!!! THE BULL$hit uaw & the rest of those overpaid underworked UNION HACK a$$hole people have WASTED our economy & ruined the USA as it should be. FLUSH that GIANT union TURD down the toilet & everyone that sucks off of it !!!!! Let them all get "jobs" @ the local 7/11 IF they're qualified . Scott

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast