Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canadian Towing Laws?

I heard that Canada does not allow surge brakes for trailers over a certain weight (electric or air only) Is that true? If so, is there a max weight allowed to still use surge brakes. My boat on the trailer dry weighs 5700 lbs.

I am planning a trip to Canada this summer and need to make sure I can get in with the equipment I have.
    1990 Cougar 25 MTR w/twin 300 PM's

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laws are different in each province. Where are you travelling?
    '08 SRV
    Yamaha 3.1 Phase III

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am travelling to the west coast of British Columbia for a poker run.

I went to the Canadian transport sites and could not find anything.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found this...specifically for BC. I would think you're fine unless you're running Verados .

Recreational Vehicle Towing

Brake Requirements
    All trailers and towing dollies (car dollies) must have brakes on all wheels when their GVW (trailer/dolly and load) exceeds 1,400 kg (3,086 pounds). Every trailer with brakes must have a breakaway device hooked to the trailer brake system.
    Surge brakes must be used when towing a vehicle that has a gross vehicle weight (GVW) of up to and including 2,800 kg (6,173 pounds).
    From 2,800 kilograms and up the towed vehicle brakes must be able to be applied by the driver of the tow vehicle.
    Motorhomes (only) may tow motor vehicles via a tow bar without brakes hooked up on the towed motor vehicle, when the towed motor vehicle's laden weight (weight of towed vehicle and its load) is:
    less than 2,000 kg (4,409 pounds), and
    less than 40% of the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the motorhome towing it.
    Motor vehicles with a laden weight of 2,000 kg and over towed by a motorhome must have brakes and breakaway device hooked up.

Preparing to tow
    The vehicle on tow must have valid licensing and insurance.
    Only one (1) trailer may be towed at a time (a car dolly with car are regarded as one trailer).
    All vehicle being towed via a ball hitch must have safety chain(s) or cable(s).
    A recreational vehicle towed via a 5th wheel hook-up does not require safety chains or cables
    All vehicles being towed must have lights connected to the towed vehicle.
    '08 SRV
    Yamaha 3.1 Phase III

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks DoktorC, that is what I was looking for.

My boat weighs 5700 lbs empty, probably 6400 lbs with 80 gallons of fuel and gear, so I am right at the limit. If they don't weigh it on the border, I might be able to show them the slip from the scales.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing in BC

Bring LOTS o'cash for the ferry, assuming you're trailering over to Vancouver Island.....

What club is organizing this ?
    Matt

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Propster, I have never heard of anyone being weighed at the border ,but if your worried go thru Peace Arch not the truck crossing . What poker run are you going to ?If its Harrison you could go thru Sumas.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Passports too, I believe. But only if you want to come back.
    Gary

I don't know enough, to leave well enough alone.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No passports needed yet. Unless you are checking the boat as baggage.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Peace Arch

There is a scale just after you come threw the boarder there.Just dont stop there and know one will give a hoot. Ive gone that way several times and the one time I stoped at the scale to check my straps and the scale guy there was go go gaget scaler man!! He loved his job way to much! Know one in B.C. is going to bother you at all towing a boat! Towing an MTR will get you attention but its the kind you like. Whens the Poker Run and were? Kelowna has a great Poker Run DCB and others make it up for that one its on Lake Okanogan!!! If youve never been to Kellowna its worth the trip in july or Aug. Its always 100deg and kinda like a better lake Havask in Arizona if I spelled that right they even have rattle snakes its so hot there.Lots of Cougers and other larger hot boats that go 100+.A great place to boat and party!!!!The lake is like 100miles long or something like that. I live in the centeral part of B.C. but was born and raised in Nanaimo on the Island a nother great place to be but mainly ocean running there. James

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whipper

I've been offered a transfer to work out of Nanaimo/Victoria. Are there enough fresh water lakes to make taking my Venus worth while?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Boz

To be honest No.You would be much happier with a 21-24 SKATER!!! There are lakes up in Duncan mid between Vic and Nan one called Lake Cowachen {spell} and in Port Alberni called Sprout Lake that one is huge.The lakes are nice and there are quite a few but the inland waters of the Strait are were you will want to be!! Endless exploring and wide open spaces. You will be fine for a while but the whole Island is geared towards the notical theme. I gota go to work Ill talk to ya latter.James

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whipper

I'd be living in Duncan and just spent three weeks at the Ocean Front Resort in Lake Cowichan while I was on the island working.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up boz

I am a 5th gen Islander and I wish I was going back there I miss the Island dearly. We head back to Nanaimo for 1 month every Aug since I moved to the Interior. You can boat almost all year round there!!!! The lakes are nice as I said and there are lots of little lakes and a far few larger ones but the gulf islands and in and around the Nanaimo water front also Victoria is world Class boating!! Your Venus will work on good days but to really enjoy the ocean you need something with a little more freeboard as not to get cought out there and trying to limp back. I would much rather relish the occation to get some air time!!! A Progression,Activator,Skater,Velocity,or even a Concept center consol. I realy like the CC style of the Concept boats.They are so versitile for that area.You can fish outa them,go fast,load people aboard and when shes nasty out there its nice to stand up to obsorpe the shock from wave jumping. Any thing with some free board 21-24 would be perfict but in a high performance kinda way for sure! The summers there are unbelieveable. You are very fortunate to be able to work there.Have you been to long beach on the west coast?One of many must sees! 10 foot rollers breaking on the sandy beaches with surfers every were!In Parksville only a 30 min to 40 min drive from Drunken Duncen Ha Ha theres a beach called Rathtreaver Beach the tide goes out for a whole mile of sandy beach great for the Kids to build castles and fly a kite and stuff. Keep in touch as I can tell you a million places that only some one born and raised there could tell you about. Places that are still hush hush.like the bor hole at Nanaimo River and white rapids,Pipers Lagoon,Cape Scott Trail {better than the west coast trail and free}, Newcastle Island park,Caves at Horn lake,the devils bath,Scooner cove,5 fingers,the best fishing holes like at slack tide only in Dods Narrows,lunch spots on the water like the diggy dock on Protection Island,and the resort on Gabriola Island you just pull up with your boat and grab an umbrella on the deck kinda spots,the list goes on. Im editting this because I noticed in one of your other post your not perhaps going to live there full time?how long do you think youll be on the Island? The guy from Vic is right about the ratio your not going to believe how many time a night if ya try hard if ya know what I mean Victoria is a great place to party if your on your own but if your with a buddy Nanaimo has plenty to offer also in the way of night life.Drunken Duncun is borring.Whistler is great, a little klicky, and a pain in the but to get there.If you like skiing, in Comox an hour drive north Mt Washington ski resort has just as good skiing as whistler pretty much just not as large off course but a great place youll love it. Also there are lots of concerts that come to Nan and Vic as well as Van so check to see whos comming to town. There are lots of events that happen on the Island thats your best bet to really get to meet some people. Check with the local city hall they will steer you in the right direction in regards to events,Also the bulliten boards hear and there.Thing dont realy start to pick up till around the end of March into April. A great day drive is to long Beach though bring a girl with ya its beutifull there Even for a guy!! Make reservations at the Wikanimish Inn for dinner at long beach after a long day you will remember it the rest of your life!! If you do stay the night Toffino or in Ucullit{spell} have reasonable rates off season.You cant go there with out eating at the Wikanimish Inn very inportant make the res for when you still have some daylight into sunset!! Go with some one you like only.To nice a day to wast on a skank If your in Nanaimo find out from the locals were Pipers Lagoon is its a great place to go for a walk also. Its off of Hamond Bay RD. Departure Bay is a great place to park and sit for a while or just think.Its on Departure Bay rd thats my road my dads place was the first house on that road back in the 30,s and he still lives there lot #1. You will be doing a lot of that on the Island, thinking and walking very Layed back!! Just soak it all in man its the best place on earth and thats a fact!! Find all the water front places to go see thats your best bet.Vic has a great water front in town and over at Brentwood. Nan has a promanade that has resterants and stuff in town all so just find parking around the Bastion thats that old fort looking thing with canons sticking out off it. Any way lol and keep in touch Ive rambled on way to long sorry about that.Print this out or Jot down the places because it would take you years to find out about some off them. James
    Last edited by whipper; 02-13-2007 at 03:06 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent 6 months on the island, in Port Alberni. What a hole. Everything whipper said is true, although the winter I was there Mt. Washington was open I day the whole season!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast