Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Transom 1988 Checkmate Starflite

I am adding a considerable amount of setback onto my boat. I used to have a 88' Merc 2.4L 200 on 5" of setback. I recently purchased an 05' Merc 250xs and a 10" CMC hydraulic jackplate. My transom is currently in great shape and there are no cracks. I'd like to keep it that way. Is there anything recommended to do to possibly strengthen it. There are small braces in the back from the floor to the transom (factory original) fiberglassed in. I also have a plate that tops the transom extends down the stern for the jackplate to bolt up to. Previously I used large washers on the inside but was considering making a plate to go from bolt to bolt. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dave
    1988 21' Checkmate Starflite
    2005 Mercury 250XS 3.0L

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you are on the right track, My transom isn't in perfect condition, its a 1988 boat, but nothing real bad. I have 13" of setback on my starflite and a plate like yours and I also added a plate to the front side of the transom for both the top and lower bolts, the top ones were really digging in where the original washers were at from 18yrs of use. My 2.4L is not as heavy as your xs but I think you are fine, I have even read of people going to 15" of setback on this boat, it is bow heavy and needs all it can get. I was considering more setback but decided I can get more bow lift with a trophy prop. Go checkout www.checkmate-boats.com if you haven't already, a terrific checkmate fansite that has a lot of info on starflite setup. -shane
    1988 21' checkmate Starflite
    Merc 2.4 BP EFI 70.2 GPS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

Shane,
    My boat looks really close to yours, for now. It will be on its way to the shop to be painted in a few days. The plate that is on the transom has a bend that covers the top of the transom and the backside I would assume similar to what you have. I think I am going to make a plate for the inside to prevent the washers from digging into the transom. I originally used large fender washers against the transom then the washer last the bolt of course. Thanks for the info. I'll check out the site. Take Care.

Dave
    1988 21' Checkmate Starflite
    2005 Mercury 250XS 3.0L

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    look into adding something like this

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...0&d=1164988872

its better if you add another layer to your floor and/or stringers. the largest stress is at the top bolts.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Find a good aluminum fabricator and have them build you a bracket for the inside of the transom that will tie the transom to the "verticle knees" that were glassed in at the factory. It's basically a "U" shaped bracket that you will run your jack plate mounting bolts through and that will also bolt into the existing knees. If you want even more structural integrity have the bracket extend to the floor and bolt through.