Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Switzer Shooting Star

Heres a couple of pic's of another boat my father had back in the day. this is a Shooting Star with a stacker 135 mopar race engine. In the pic the stacks and gear case were removed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scan0015.jpg   scan0014.jpg  
    1994 Brad Collins Mirage Jag.with 1990 2.4 BP E.F.I Offshore

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool pics! Dont ya wish ya had that boat now...or do ya? Some of the boats and motors that were laying around in your area and mine (McHenry IL) while we were young make me sick. My neighbor had two Powercats laying inside his boathouse for years before he finally got rid of them. We used to play in them all the time and he would yell at us. Later, Dave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Engines in our area

I know a guy that was a Merc dealer from 1956 to early 1980s but is retired now, was a good friend of my late father, and since my fathers death in 1984 I stayed intouch with this guy. Over the years we became pretty close friends. I'm a heavy constuction equipment opperator (union local 139) and end up getting layed off from time to time. Any layoff time I have, I'm there helping him out, enjoying my hobby Outboards, His company and earning the rights to pick threw his stash of used parts for my efforts. This guy amassed a stock of some 500 engines over the years, plus a but load of NOS parts and used parts that would blow your mind. 90% Merc, 45% inline 6 stuff
    He's to his end and wants to sell out, His kids want nothing to do with the stuff they consider it as junk.
    He dont want to sell any of the "green ones" or any of the "stock outboard racing stuff" But he will sell me all his inline four and six stuff. The only problem is that he will not give me a price. For years now we been talking about when am I going to get that sh+t (his words)out of his way. So I ask him for a price, and he changes the subject. One of these days I hope he will come up with a figuer. He always ask what I 'm offering. In fear of pissing him off I answer by saying Shoot me a price. I fear that with my tendincie to "low ball" offers, that I would piss him off to the point that the oppritunity would pass me by insulting him. But I dont want to pay more than it worth, and I am a red blooded American who wants to get the best deal.
    So what would you do?
    Last edited by wogi; 12-28-2006 at 07:24 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also wait it out and let him come up with the figure. You never know, he might just give you a steal. Cool stuff!! Later, Dave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One day he will want to get rid of everything, I mean everything......so, just stay in touch & wait for your moment.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next time take every penny out of your pocket and say how about this much!!! worse thing he can do laugh it off as a Joke!! But at least he knows your trying and appreciate his gestures...besides you never know what the answer maybe....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure his kids know YOU WANT the stuff. I have been in a number of deals like that to find out the guy died and the kids had it all scrapped, not knowing I wanted it. Just do it in an easy way. You really shouldn't be paying more than .10 cents on the dollar for a large quantity. But let him make the first offer!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

3 X APBA Formula V Nat'l Champion
    APBA Formula V US-1
    It took me 29 years to become an overnight success.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great input

Thanks guys. I did stop in over the holiday week end. The same thing, make offer is what he said. So I told him right out, I said I'm just as cheep a polock as you are, and with this in mind I fear that I would piss you off by trying to low ball a offer. He looked me in the eyes grined shook hes head and said stop back in a couple weeks and I will have a figure for you.
    Yes his kids know about my wanting this stuff, early on we talked in front of his two sons about it. I also had him ask the boys right out about it, I did not want to step on their toes, And feared that they would have bad feelings about it. But to my supprise they are incuraging the sale and just cant understand what iI want with all that old junk as the oldest put it