User Tag List

Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK I gotta figure out how to do the thumbnails

Wow my pics came out big, I need to figure out how to do the thumbnails.

Sorry about that. Newb.

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chaseus View Post
    Wow my pics came out big, I need to figure out how to do the thumbnails.

Sorry about that. Newb.
    You did good. When hosted off SnF, they should be big like that.

A little extra oil, esp on the first run is actually a good idea too

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess being a new to me motor, I am overly concerned, and expecting something wrong, even if I did all the prep work.

Would to much oil make it blow white smoke out the shaft exhaust holes like that when we went to idle? It makes sense to me, but the block was hotter than what we have been seeing on the 1976 1500 motor we have been running this past couple of months now. Just by touching. I know we have great water flow, and I felt the pee stream, and it was warm for sure, so all that is doing its job. I just wish there ws a temp gauge, or a sure way to tell if it is overheating. It felt warm, but all other signs looked good. Plenty of power, good response, good warm water flow.

The motor ran really strong, though we never went WOT yet, as it was a first run. It seems to be even stronger than the 1976 motor.

You should see this 1973 motor, very very clean, with no cracking on the wires or anything. I was shocked when we went to get it. The boat is an ugly style, but we got the whole shebang for $200, and so far just did the impeller on the motor, and some carb cleaning. The steering, controls, and trim are all working excellent.

I just noticed you are in Annapolis.

I was just out that way a few days ago! I live and work just south of Chicago, but I went out to Hollywood, MD for some training with the Machinists Union that we just voted in at our job.

So, I was out there for a week, and brought the wife and kids. After the week there, we went to NYC for two days, so, last Friday, we drove right past Annapolis.

We were all in DC for a couple of weeks two years ago with my job, so the kids were much more excited about NYC this time. Of course, they liked seeing the crabs and jellyfish in the water, sine the IAM school is right on a harbor.

I have some good closeups of these motors now, and video.

And I still have the 115 HP to get working on. Another one in nice shape.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Which Hollywood was that? Near College Park outside DC or out in the sticks near PAX navy base?

You might have driven right past my house on MD Rt 2

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were down right by PAX NAS. F18s flying around all week, pretty cool area. And we did take Rt 2 on part of our way out. Drove through a lot of that area, as we went into DC several times, and tried to take a different way each time.

Very nice areas. I may have to transfer to our hub facility in Sterling, VA (just north of DULLES airport) soon. That is where we stayed two years ago, me for about a month, my family for two weeks.

Little harder to find boating areas up on the NW side of the DC area though.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a better pic of the blue 1973 motor. Happy with it so far. Posted a couple of more pics in my profile. I will try to figure out the thumbs here when I get a chance.

I have three of these Inline 6 motors now. And I just started!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The DC suburbs themselves give you nothing. From Sterling (if you can afford to live there anyway) its not that much of a drive down the road for Potomac River places like Colonial Beach VA. Near PAX the Patuexent is very nice from Benedict on down.

If you like bigger water you can always trailer to the Chesapeake Bay at Sandy Point right next to the Bay Bridge, Chesapeake Beach due east of DC, Deep Creek Lake in western MD or south to Lake Anna in VA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't be able to afford Sterling. There were some houses in Leesburg I MAY be able to afford IF my houses here sell OK.

The place we were at in Hollywood was right on the water (Placid Harbor), and I was wanting to get out there. I imagine that is all freshwater until you get right next to the ocean right?

If I am lucky, I may have the option of going to our facility in Keller, TX, just NW of FT WORTH. There are a lot of lakes in that area, with nice cheap waterfront houses too. Just need to get my third kid swimming, and we could do that.

Right now, the facility I am at is RUMORED to be closing in October. After that it will be either DC, or FTW, or the unemployment line.

In any event, we are WAY off topic. Sorry bout that.

I am going to be working on the 115 HP motor next week. So far, everything looks good on that one too, and I have the impeller kit ready for that one. The dealer here is starting to know me.

These are some fun motors on the water. I can imagine what the racing motors are like!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chaseus View Post
    I imagine that is all freshwater until you get right next to the ocean right?
    No, the water goes up and down with the tide and blends ocean water with fresh water. The blended water is called "brackish". Early in the year when snow melt and spring rain is heavy, the water has much less salt. Later in August and September there is more salt, depending on how far up river you are and how much rain there has been.

Above the Sassafras River in the spring the water is essentially fresh. A winter with major snow in central PA and a lot of rain may make the salt undetectable as far south as the Bay Bridge in May. Down by PAX at the mouth of the river in the heat of the summer it will be practically like the ocean. Below the Potomac in the VA part of the bay late in the year will be really salty like the ocean.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want to mess with that then.

I knew there was some blending, I just figured we were far enough up the PAX that it wasn't salty. I guess anywhere the water gets pretty open it could happen.

So, is there any way to gauge the temperatures on these motors? Or would I rather not know the temp?

I do have a tach going, which is nice.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just loaded a few more pics in my album of the wiring, etc.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tower of power to sweet to be sour
    Bob

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sm1350%20cutaway.jpg   smtwister.jpg   staker xs.jpg   DSCF0859b.JPG  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is mine. It's an 86 90hp. Kind of small compared to some of the wild motors posted on this thread! But it pushes my 15 footer to nearly 60!

Trip..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500xs

I'm on the laptop and this is the only pic of the Magnum and the Merc. I'll get newer ones up soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 538977324_l.jpg  
    69 Magnum Marine Missle/Merc 1500XS
    undergoing total restoration

Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast