Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie M
    Anyone ever drove both enough to know? Looking for either a new Vette or a 02 to 24 Z-06
    I own a 2003 Z06 and my son owns a 2006 Z06.
    At this point in my life I can purchase almost any car I really want. I would own a new 7 litre Z06 except I refuse to even talk to a dealer about over list price. Just a principle with me.
    I got my 2003 in the Spring of 03 for 42K, brand new.
    My son paid in the mid 70's for his 2006 Z06. Once the prices come down to reality (and they will) I will get a 7 litre Z06. My 2003 Z06 is the best car I have ever owned.
    It is comfortable , rides great, and is just barely fast enough. The new Z06 is incredible ! It's so powerful ,it's really too much for the average person. That's what I love about it!
    If money is important ( and it is for 99.999% of the population), I would go with the 2003 0r 2004 Z06 and simply install the Supercharger kit. This will get you faster than the 7 litre at half the cost.
    PS I have owned a 63 Fuelie, a 64 Fuelie,a 65 Coupe, a 66 427-425 HP,a 80 coupe, an 86 Convert, a 94 Coupe and the 2003 Z06. I still have the 63, 65, 66,94 and Z06 along with a 79 - 930 Turbo Porsche.
    The Z06 is the best one to drive day in and day out!
    Charlie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by velox
    I own a 2003 Z06 and my son owns a 2006 Z06.
    At this point in my life I can purchase almost any car I really want. I would own a new 7 litre Z06 except I refuse to even talk to a dealer about over list price. Just a principle with me.
    I got my 2003 in the Spring of 03 for 42K, brand new.
    My son paid in the mid 70's for his 2006 Z06. Once the prices come down to reality (and they will) I will get a 7 litre Z06. My 2003 Z06 is the best car I have ever owned.
    It is comfortable , rides great, and is just barely fast enough. The new Z06 is incredible ! It's so powerful ,it's really too much for the average person. That's what I love about it!
    If money is important ( and it is for 99.999% of the population), I would go with the 2003 0r 2004 Z06 and simply install the Supercharger kit. This will get you faster than the 7 litre at half the cost.
    PS I have owned a 63 Fuelie, a 64 Fuelie,a 65 Coupe, a 66 427-425 HP,a 80 coupe, an 86 Convert, a 94 Coupe and the 2003 Z06. I still have the 63, 65, 66,94 and Z06 along with a 79 - 930 Turbo Porsche.
    The Z06 is the best one to drive day in and day out!
    I'm curious why you'd go for the 03-04 ZO6 and not the 2002?? For the same car, why buy the newer ones???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tripledude2
    I'm curious why you'd go for the 03-04 ZO6 and not the 2002?? For the same car, why buy the newer ones???
    I am not sure of the Horsepower of the 2002, but it may be a little less than the 03 and 04's.
    I would go for the latest one because it will have all of the improvements made during the c5 production. Also you usually get one with less wear and tear. Sometimes you can pick one up with less than 10,000 miles on it so you are getting an almost new car for less than 1/2 of the 2006.
    My 2003 has about 8,000 miles on it and it has just now completely broken in!
    I swear it's faster now than last year.
    When I punch it from around 20 MPH, it burns the tires all the way through first and second gears. Thats without dumping the clutch , just giving it full throttle. It did not do this at first. Sometimes it burns the tires so badly the engine over revs and cuts off before I am ready to shift.
    Of course the 2006 will burn the tires in every gear without trying!
    I have even thought of buying a 7 litre engine and putting it in mine.
    As good as it is, I still want more.
    Horsepower is like a drug. The first several times you accelerate with a fast car, its overwhelming. After a couple of days you start to think, boy this thing is not as fast as it was, what happened to all of the power?
    The same thing is true with my airplanes. I built a plane that most people put a 180 HP engine in. I installed a 260 HP engine in it and the first time I accelerated it ,I thought I had made a mistake and had overpowered it. Now its Ho- hum. Because of this, my son David came up with a great saying:
    "Too much Horsepower is almost enough! "
    Charlie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only problem is 04 Z06's are bringing more money than what you could get a new C-5 for. That is why I was asking is an old Z06 really worth more than a new C-5? From what I have seen is I don't really think so. You could get a new C-5 for just under 40,000 or an 04 Z06 for about 42 to 46.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie M
    Only problem is 04 Z06's are bringing more money than what you could get a new C-5 for. That is why I was asking is an old Z06 really worth more than a new C-5? From what I have seen is I don't really think so. You could get a new C-5 for just under 40,000 or an 04 Z06 for about 42 to 46.
    I misunderstood your question.
    The new 2006 vettes with the 400 HP engine are so close to the older Z06's its probably not worth the money for them. They are so close in performance most people would not know the difference.
    I agree, its better to just go ahead and get the brand new one. There is nothing like getting a brand new car. The smell. the perfection and just knowing you are the very first owner is priceless.
    Charlie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never owned a new car before, a new Corvette would do it though. I just bought an older one at a good deal and think I may hold onto this one for a little while until I decide. Heard that next year the Vettes will have a 450 hp motor standard. I had a quote on a new Convertible for 47,800 and came damn close to buying it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    velox,

If you need more out af that 540, call these folks. They will give you a lot more:

http://www.lycon.com/

jim

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by velox
    I am not sure of the Horsepower of the 2002, but it may be a little less than the 03 and 04's.
    I would go for the latest one because it will have all of the improvements made during the c5 production. Also you usually get one with less wear and tear. Sometimes you can pick one up with less than 10,000 miles on it so you are getting an almost new car for less than 1/2 of the 2006.
    My 2003 has about 8,000 miles on it and it has just now completely broken in!
    I swear it's faster now than last year.
    When I punch it from around 20 MPH, it burns the tires all the way through first and second gears. Thats without dumping the clutch , just giving it full throttle. It did not do this at first. Sometimes it burns the tires so badly the engine over revs and cuts off before I am ready to shift.
    Of course the 2006 will burn the tires in every gear without trying!
    I have even thought of buying a 7 litre engine and putting it in mine.
    As good as it is, I still want more.
    Horsepower is like a drug. The first several times you accelerate with a fast car, its overwhelming. After a couple of days you start to think, boy this thing is not as fast as it was, what happened to all of the power?
    The same thing is true with my airplanes. I built a plane that most people put a 180 HP engine in. I installed a 260 HP engine in it and the first time I accelerated it ,I thought I had made a mistake and had overpowered it. Now its Ho- hum. Because of this, my son David came up with a great saying:
    "Too much Horsepower is almost enough! "
    The 2001 ZO6 (first year) was 385 HP. The rest of the C5 ZO6's were 405HP. If any changes were made, they were subtle and/or minor. If anything, an upgrade on the seats during the C5 run would have been welcome.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by captcarb
    velox,

If you need more out af that 540, call these folks. They will give you a lot more:

http://www.lycon.com/

jim
    Thanks for the web address.
    I have bought parts from them like HO pistons, but I usually build my own engines.
    I don't build engines for my customers and send them to one of 3 good engine builders. Barrett Performance Engines, Performance Aero and Lycon.
    Lycon has the line on performance pistons and Barrett has his own cold air induction system and those are two of the items required for the big Lycomings.
    All of them are very good. I am friends with Monty Barrett and do alot of business with him. He is a little more conservative with his engines, but what the hell, you can't get out and walk or swim from an airplane too easily.
    Charlie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't be selfish Charlie,Let's see some pics of that sexy fiberglass bitch

I am a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma,coated in bubble gum,stuffed in a turducken. Δx Δp ≥ ℏ/2

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to burst your bubble, BUT. I used to race with NASA here in Phoenix, PIR and Firebird race way, road racing. Any way there was this guy that would come out with his ford zx3, that hatch back thing. Well let me tell you I woould watch him eat up vettes all session long. They couldn't stay with him. They would start out by taking him in the nascar oval 3 and 4 at PIR and then when they went in to the road course area he would catch them and Pass them. He would eventually stay ahead, worn out tires on the vette's. I guess it had a super charger on it and put out about 175 ponies. But hey the Vipers would get their azz's handed to them by 6 cylinder BMW'S and Porches, oh and even a 240z with a 450 hp 2.8 turbo. That was funny. Good luck with that vette, just don't race it.Oh yea I also saw one from the Gumbal 3000, that sucker was faster the the Enzo, like the rally car but road legal,on the other side of the pond.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cobra1racer

STFU that was about the stupidest bunch of garbage I have ever read. Go grab your motor trend magazine, and hit your favorite hiding spot. OH be careful getting those pages apart

GET A LIFE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it was the SVT Focus. And since you were not there or have never been there. If you believe what you read from a magazine you are as stupid as the person that wrote it. How much money do you want to pay for good print. Lets go back in time, say 11 years. Grab 12 months of hot boat magazine. How many months have Add's for Fountain Power Boats. 1, yes just one with six (6) pages of Add's for good ol Reggie. Now what is the boat of the year, Duh-Fountain. Are you that stupid that you believe what you see in print. No wonder the Star,Glob and National Inquiere are on the racks today. I see it on the track from working corners for over five years. www.microworks.net/dave/viper.html That would be me backing away from the wall, and the viper was trashed. So why don't you just pipe down. And you are more than wellcome to come to an event and watch. Go to the ASRA- Club Racing Az web site and look for the next track time. Oh yea go to Az z Car and you will find a link to Cliftons viper killer,both of them. What a morron.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4