Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dad's old pics...SV's, FJ's, Carribbean Club, Miami Marine Stadium, etc

Dad's first race, Miami Marine Stadium, 1974:

Won that one. Dang he looks young!

SV boat, testing in Miami airport lakes, 1974:

Definitely a cool sound, the old V4 OMC's...

The SV in the Marine Stadium, 1975:

The hard way to learn not to race your "pleasure" boat, 1978:

OUCH!

Hey Action17 - do these bring back any memories?
    ------------------------------
    Duane (CustomPerformance1) running Bobby Pazos Sr's Action at the Carribbean Club, early 80's:

Duane (CustomPerformance1) running Bobby Pazos Sr's TVX Lazer copy at the Carribbean Club, early 80's:

Keith-

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pics. Thanks for sharing.
    2004 Hydra-Sports Vector 2600 - twin 225 Yamahas

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice Pic of the Strangler...Thanks Keith
    Jason
    Outboard Junkie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Keith, those photos are amazing, thanks for posting them!

Facebook | YouTube | Vintage Outboard Catalogs
    Photo prints available of your boat - click here

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll get dad to keep scanning!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Freagin Aesome!

I was lucky enough to spend a night at Bobby Sr's place a couple yrs ago and he brought out the old photos and VIDEOS of the Carribean Club races!
    I was in Nirvana
    Fianc'e and I were at the C. Club last Spring and I talked to them about reviving that race
    BTW, h20perf (Dave Sauer) has won that race and still has trophies in his garage.
    Very cool stuff Keith!
    Gary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Instigator, that's cool stuff huh? We gotta talk Bobby into getting the old 8mm on CD now!

I wonder if my dad remembers Dave Sauer. I can't say his name is familiar to me, but I was only lik 8 back then!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Icing on the cake for me was...

Quote Originally Posted by STV_Keith
    Instigator, that's cool stuff huh? We gotta talk Bobby into getting the old 8mm on CD now!

I wonder if my dad remembers Dave Sauer. I can't say his name is familiar to me, but I was only lik 8 back then!
    When I stayed with Bobby Sr. I still had my 68 Six Pack Super Bee. Bobby had pictures of one he drag raced when it was new in '69.
    He also had the NHRA certificate of the record he set with it!

Dave raced a Magum tunnel w/a home brewed cross flow.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember a guy at the CC that ran some kind of tunnel with a Super Strangler on it. Was that him?

Also, you're in Port St Lucie huh, so is my dad. I'll be there in 2 weeks. I guess there is some event on the weekend of the 12th we're gonna go to. Do you know about it?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

No ****!

I remember a guy at the CC that ran some kind of tunnel with a Super Strangler on it. Was that him?

Also, you're in Port St Lucie huh, so is my dad. I'll be there in 2 weeks. I guess there is some event on the weekend of the 12th we're gonna go to. Do you know about it?
    Not sure who your Dad is but most of us are going to River Ranch II up by Kissimee.
    Lets get together when your in town. Would love to meet your dad! That old race history drives me bonkers!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

River Ranch 2

Yep, that is the event that STV Keith and I are going to. We will be in my 25 Powerplay with a Merc 250 XS. Alot of old guys are supposed to be coming as well. And a few of them raced at the Carribbean Club in Key Largo on several occasions. By the way, there were about 6 to 8 classes of boats that were put on at those events. I mostly ran the 135, 150 and unlimited outboard classes. Hell, they even had a powder puff class, thats right, LADIES class!!!!! Some of my most memorable times were there. I also ran Palatka Azalia festival races and one time at Bruswick, Ga. That is where the Blue Max became the Broke MAX. Damn, those were the good old days.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Very Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by CUSTOM PERFORMANCE 1
    Yep, that is the event that STV Keith and I are going to. We will be in my 25 Powerplay with a Merc 250 XS. Alot of old guys are supposed to be coming as well. And a few of them raced at the Carribbean Club in Key Largo on several occasions. By the way, there were about 6 to 8 classes of boats that were put on at those events. I mostly ran the 135, 150 and unlimited outboard classes. Hell, they even had a powder puff class, thats right, LADIES class!!!!! Some of my most memorable times were there. I also ran Palatka Azalia festival races and one time at Bruswick, Ga. That is where the Blue Max became the Broke MAX. Damn, those were the good old days.
    Was pretty sure they ran classes at CC and my buddy dave ran a modified 235 fish motor on a Magnum Missle.
    Would love to hook up some time and see your old pix's.
    I'm through Palm City every day. May be going out on the boat this weekend.
    Probably Fort Pierce if so.
    Gary
    Last edited by Instigator; 10-18-2006 at 08:04 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There you go, we'll be at River Ranch 2. Come look us up. Probably the slowest rig of what shows...25 Power Play open fish aka "the wool wagon".

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll get dad to keep scanning!
    Please do, those are great
    22' Activator w/ 250xs Merc Opti, back home again

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Powder Puff race was always a lot of fun. It was the only times my wife actually raced my boat.
    The last year they held the Powder Puff there was about 5 or 6 boats in the race. Beth Kapit in Gary Kapits Action, my wife in my Royal Craft, Stacy Chandler in her husband Tommy's boat, Allison or Royal Craft I can't remember, another wife and Barney Shoenrock (sp) of Action Marine and his girlfriend in a 19 foot open fish. The ladies protested Barney being in the boat, he did the throttles, and the type of boat, to no avail.
    At the end of lap one Barney's boat took the lead with Stacy right behind and my wife and Beth Kapit side by side. Barney was supposed to stay far to the outside. He cut the turn at turn four with a huge wake for the inside. Stacy hit the wake and went up and over. Bad accident.
    Stacy broke her leg in the accident. Tommy was so mad he was going to kill Barney, who never returned to shore and headed out across the bay never to be seen at the CC again.
    After that they canceled the Powder Puff races. The neat thing about the races over the years is how competitive the wives drove and how fast. No holding back for them.

Being non-sanctioned almost anything was allowed to race. One guy showed up in a flat bottom aluminum boat. Had I think a 40 or 50 hp motor on the back. He ran in everything he was allowed to. Well the problem is he didn't have a trailer so he powered the boat up the ramp, refueled the boat and himself (a little brew I think), and back out. The only problem is instead of a nice grassy or sandy beach he drove the boat up the ramp which was solid coral rock! I mean all the way out of the water!!!!
    He did this numerous times for each heat, or race.
    Finally his last heat of the day. He put the boat back in the water and took off. On the backstretch of one of the early laps all of a sudden he slowed down and you could see a geyser of water shooting straight up from the middle of the boat. From his "docking technique" he managed to grind down the aluminum hull till it finally broke open. The boat quickly filled with water and went down with him standing like some morning cartoon.
    They eventually got him to shore and his boat. There was nothing left of the bottom.

One final thing about the CC. Somewhere the owners of the bar secured a mooring ball for offshore ships. You were warned no to run into or near it. It was about 4' in diameter and .....metal. It was used for the large tankers and freighters to tie to while waiting their turn to get into the port! Ya didn't want to hit that. In all the years I never saw anyone try to cut that turn.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

3 X APBA Formula V Nat'l Champion
    APBA Formula V US-1
    It took me 29 years to become an overnight success.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast